TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HPWC no longer latches or charges

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by steilkurve, Aug 9, 2018.

1. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Hi all. Went to the SvC to have a couple of things fixed. As part of this, they did the usual routine inspection and found a fault with the charge port and replaced it. I had no prior issue with charging on my one year old X100D. However, after the repair, I am no longer able to fully insert the HPWC into the charge port and/or latch it. I just get the orange ring and it doesn’t charge. The UMC still works fine... The HPWC is the original version which I got in 2015 while the UMC is 2017. Is it possible that the new port they put in is somehow no longer compatible with the new port? That doesn’t seem to make sense. Thoughts on fixes or reason for this issue before I head back to the SvC? Thanks.

2. Terthen

Terthen Member

I’d see if in your area mobile service can just come to your place to check it out rather than you having to go there again? any issues at a supercharger?

3. mxnym

mxnym Member

Yes, it is possible. In fact, I have seen something about newer Model X vehicles not being compatible with the original HPWC (don't remember if it was here or Reddit, but you can search now that you know what for). I'm guessing you got a newer rev charge port that has the same issue. IIRC, people with the issue have been getting their HPWC replaced free of charge, but I don't know if that includes installation, and it doesn't help you with destination chargers that are still rev 1.

4. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

So I stopped at a Supercharger on my way to work. Tried two stalls, both worked fine. Clearly, it’s my HPWC that is not willing to play nice with the new Charge Port.

Couldn’t get my local SvC on the phone this AM. Sent them an email. I’ll see what they say.

5. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Thanks. That’s helpful.

6. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Yes, I do have a thought on this, as I've seen it once myself at a Supercharger and have heard it reported a couple of times from people's wall connectors or mobile connectors. In the charge port, the pins have these black plastic rings on the ends of them. Sometimes, one of those can break off and get stuck in the hole in the charging handle of the wall connector or mobile connector. So the handle has this piece stuck in one of the holes. If you look into the end of the handle, you would be able to see it. One of the holes will look all silver inside (normal), and the other will look black inside, because of the piece of plastic jammed in there.

If you are still using that car's port, and that same charging handle, you won't notice a problem, because the extra plastic in the handle fits to where it's missing in the port, so it all still fits. But sometimes people get a loaner that does have that piece of plastic in the charging port, and it hits the piece in the handle, and they can't plug in. In your case, the replaced port wouldn't have that piece missing, so same thing. Here's a thread about it where I diagnosed this on someone else's, and you even get a picture of what that broken off piece of plastic looks like.

Loaner Charging Problems (two different loaners)

I know the issue you are talking about, but it's the new central computer that has a software conflict with the original wall connectors. It wouldn't be related to the charging port itself.

• Informative x 1
  7. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Many thanks. I’ll check the HPWC handle when I get home. Based on your experience, is this something I could remove myself? (After cutting off the power of course!)

8. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

When I ran into it personally, it was at a Supercharger, so I was away from home on a trip and didn't have any tools with me, so I just called the Supercharger hotline to tell them which stall had the problem. If you click the link I gave above where it happened that guy's wall connector at home, he was able to get it out with a pair of tweezers.

9. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Rocky_H You were bang on! Came home and checked the handle. There it was. That little plastic piece was there sitting at the bottom of the right hole. Tweezers didn’t do it as the moment I pulled it got stuck half way through and I’d loose grip. I tried a needle which I gently forced into the plastic securely and then pulled the whole thing out. Culprit is attached. So clearly, SvC replaced the port to begin with as they must have noticed the plastic piece was missing from it but then I could no longer insert the HPWC handle as the plastic piece was ‘redundant’ so to speak. Many thanks for your help. Now normally charging again!

Attached Files:

• Love x 2
  10. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Bam! I am now 2 for 2 on diagnosing these. That's fun.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1