Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Not charging!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
today, when I attach the roadster to the HPWC connector, it's not registering the connection. The green light on the wall unit is on. The VDS says:

"Preparing to Charge
Connect power cable"​

When i slide up the lock, nothing happens. No blue light. Nothing. Just the usual white light from the charge door being open. I've flipped the breaker with no effect. I've started the car and drove it a bit but to no avail.

I'm afraid the lock on the connector has broken. I'm so bummed. I'd be grateful for any thoughts on how to proceed.

--G
IMG_1821.JPG
IMG_1819.JPG
IMG_1820.JPG

Last edited:
When I cannibalized the connector from my dead UMC to use with the OpenEVSE, I took it apart. Somewhere on here is a step-by-step procedure that I followed. I can't find it at the moment.

You should be able to open it up to see if something is wrong with the switch.

I'm sure Henry could be more help if you reached out to him.

Last edited:
I have no first-hand knowledge of the innards of that Roadster connector but, just based on my experience as an electronics tech, I'm almost willing to bet that it isn't the switch itself...it's something mechanical/physical that's broken. A tab, or a pin, that's supposed to depress the switch.

Reactions: wiztecy
More likely the actuator rather than the switch (as Habious said). The pilot pin is grounded on the SMC and it's charging so it's likely the problem is between the inlet pin and the HPC. There is a safety mechanism in the HPC that disconnects the pilot wire if the cable is pulled too hard. Sometimes the cable will sag or slip a little over time and the pilot wire disconnects. Shut off power and open the HPC to make sure your pilot wire is still connected.

• Informative
Reactions: wiztecy and markwj
IMG_1824.JPG
I called Charlie at Clipper Creek and he helped us figure out what was wrong. The strain relief on the heavy cable connected to the wall mount was loose. There are 2 small purple connectors inside the HPWC that then disconnected. I reconnected the purple wires and we're now all good. Here are some pics to give back to the forum in hopes of helping out the next guy.

Big thanks to all of you and especially to Charlie at Clipper Creek. He actually took the call after hours and was super helpful. Notably, Charlie also gave a shoutout on one of our previous calls to Hal Sharp for his expertise!

Attachments

• IMG_1824.JPG
    IMG_1824.JPG
    426.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Helpful
Reactions: wiztecy
There is a safety mechanism in the HPC that disconnects the pilot wire if the cable is pulled too hard. Sometimes the cable will sag or slip a little over time and the pilot wire disconnects. Shut off power and open the HPC to make sure your pilot wire is still connected.

View attachment 194387 I called Charlie at Clipper Creek and he helped us figure out what was wrong. The strain relief on the heavy cable connected to the wall mount was loose. There are 2 small purple connectors inside the HPWC that then disconnected. I reconnected the purple wires and we're now all good. Here are some pics to give back to the forum in hopes of helping out the next guy.

I believe that Henry just re-affirmed his position as the #1 goto guy for all things roadster charging related.