TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

HPWC Not charging!

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by glight2000, Sep 12, 2016.

1. glight2000

glight2000 Member

#1 glight2000, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    today, when I attach the roadster to the HPWC connector, it's not registering the connection. The green light on the wall unit is on. The VDS says:

"Preparing to Charge
    Connect power cable"​

When i slide up the lock, nothing happens. No blue light. Nothing. Just the usual white light from the charge door being open. I've flipped the breaker with no effect. I've started the car and drove it a bit but to no avail.

I'm afraid the lock on the connector has broken. I'm so bummed. I'd be grateful for any thoughts on how to proceed.

--G
    IMG_1821.JPG IMG_1819.JPG IMG_1820.JPG

2. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

Will the car charge with any other cable? No blue light means that it's not getting a pilot signal. You need to determine if it's the HPWC or the car.

3. glight2000

glight2000 Member

The crap 110v charger is working just fine. My working theory is that the switch is busted. It seems as though the switch now doesn't have as robust of a click when locked. I wonder how that can be fixed. The 110v is intolerably slow.

4. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

#4 thefortunes, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    When I cannibalized the connector from my dead UMC to use with the OpenEVSE, I took it apart. Somewhere on here is a step-by-step procedure that I followed. I can't find it at the moment.

You should be able to open it up to see if something is wrong with the switch.

I'm sure Henry could be more help if you reached out to him.

5. Habious

Habious Member

I have no first-hand knowledge of the innards of that Roadster connector but, just based on my experience as an electronics tech, I'm almost willing to bet that it isn't the switch itself...it's something mechanical/physical that's broken. A tab, or a pin, that's supposed to depress the switch.

• Like x 1
  6. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

More likely the actuator rather than the switch (as Habious said). The pilot pin is grounded on the SMC and it's charging so it's likely the problem is between the inlet pin and the HPC. There is a safety mechanism in the HPC that disconnects the pilot wire if the cable is pulled too hard. Sometimes the cable will sag or slip a little over time and the pilot wire disconnects. Shut off power and open the HPC to make sure your pilot wire is still connected.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. glight2000

glight2000 Member

IMG_1824.JPG I called Charlie at Clipper Creek and he helped us figure out what was wrong. The strain relief on the heavy cable connected to the wall mount was loose. There are 2 small purple connectors inside the HPWC that then disconnected. I reconnected the purple wires and we're now all good. Here are some pics to give back to the forum in hopes of helping out the next guy.

Big thanks to all of you and especially to Charlie at Clipper Creek. He actually took the call after hours and was super helpful. Notably, Charlie also gave a shoutout on one of our previous calls to Hal Sharp for his expertise!

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 1
  8. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I called it. But who is "Hal" Sharp?

• Like x 1
  9. glight2000

glight2000 Member

I'm sorry. I screwed up your first name. You are da MAN hcsharp!

10. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I believe that Henry just re-affirmed his position as the #1 goto guy for all things roadster charging related.

11. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I'm constantly humbled by you and MLAUTO and some other old-timers I can't think of right now.:)

• Like x 1