Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC or JuiceBox?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PedanticOne

MyTesla Refresh Champion
Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2016
Bay Area, CA
Trying to decide if I should get a HPWC or a JuiceBox. The JuiceBox could at least be used by other vehicles (I do have a Zero motorcycle). And I could get the 75 amp one if I ever decide to upgrade the onboard charger. But it's $800 compared to $550. The 40A JB is $599, but I liked the HPWC because I could wire it to be up to 100A if I wanted. The JB also seems to have some cool smartphone features, etc.

Thoughts?

If you decide on the JB, I would recommend getting an extra J1772 to Tesla adapter. This assumes you want to carry one adapter in the car. It's a pain to get it in and out of the car every time you charge.

Also, if you decide on the 40A version of the JB, pay extra for the thinner cord. It comes standard with a very thick cord that's very cumbersome. The input cord from the wall is thin, but the charge side is thick.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4
I had a JB-40 about a year ago and it was okay. At the time there was no iOS support for their charging app. I also had to return the JB and ask for a replacement. At times it would not charge our EV. JB support was nice but not too helpful.

I hope since then they have improved because I really liked their business model. I would go with the HPWC on a 100AMP breaker.

Trying to decide if I should get a HPWC or a JuiceBox. The JuiceBox could at least be used by other vehicles (I do have a Zero motorcycle). And I could get the 75 amp one if I ever decide to upgrade the onboard charger. But it's $800 compared to $550. The 40A JB is $599, but I liked the HPWC because I could wire it to be up to 100A if I wanted. The JB also seems to have some cool smartphone features, etc.

Thoughts?

Reactions: pilotSteve
I'd buy a HPWC not only because it's cheaper but if something goes wrong with your Tesla charging you only have to deal with Tesla. Our HPWC charging cable & plug got SUPER hot at 80A / 240V when it was first installed and Tesla sent a Tesla Ranger our with a new HPWC cable out the next day and replaced it... All under warranty. If we had any other charger I would have had to get the electrician who installed our HPWC back out AND gotten a replacement charger from the 3rd party company who made it. Brain Damage.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4