Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC outdoor install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reached out to my friends within Tesla. As expected, it's just a language specificity thing - the intention is that you should protect the wall connector's innards for moisture, water, liquid, and foreign objects. Specifically, "the Wall Connector has a NEMA 3R and IP44 rated, as long as the conduit and wiring entering the unit is sealed, then it should be fine for most outdoor installations" was the response I received.

Thanks for that, and it is really what I suspected. I am always cognizant, however, of your statements about how insurance companies may deny claims for improperly wired or installed electrical equipment and had wondered if those "weasel words" could be used in denying a claim should anything untoward happen.

Thanks for that. Any specifics about the connector and/or charging in inclement weather?

No specifics there, although I'd get the same common sense things you might expect when it comes to plugging in an extension cord outside in the rain... don't drop it in a puddle, keep your fingers away from contacts, etc. The equipment has ground fault protection that will protect you and keep you from getting killed. Lightning is dangerous, read the thread on the supercharging near lightning storms, so might want to avoid that. :)

No specifics there, although I'd get the same common sense things you might expect when it comes to plugging in an extension cord outside in the rain... don't drop it in a puddle, keep your fingers away from contacts, etc. The equipment has ground fault protection that will protect you and keep you from getting killed. Lightning is dangerous, read the thread on the supercharging near lightning storms, so might want to avoid that. :)

Agreed.. .that's pretty much my MO.

I've charged in the rain a few times... a bit lighter rain with the UMC once or twice, and some heavier rain at the DE supercharger... no issues either time, but I typically exercise reasonable caution...

Reviving this old thread because I just had my HPWC installed in anticipation of the arrival of my X. Looking at it, I can't imagine it won't get flooded in rain. The seal appears half-assed at best, and there is no gasket to seal out precipitation. Yet obviously these are installed outdoors all over the place and seemingly work fine. So my question is: 1) does everyone have a shoddy-looking seal on theirs (maybe mine is defective?), and 2) if you do, and yours is outdoors, have you really noticed no moisture getting inside?

I draped a plastic bag over it for now, since it won't be used for another month-ish. I'm also considering adding a bead of silicon to keep water out. Anyone have thoughts?

Reviving this old thread because I just had my HPWC installed in anticipation of the arrival of my X. Looking at it, I can't imagine it won't get flooded in rain. The seal appears half-assed at best, and there is no gasket to seal out precipitation. Yet obviously these are installed outdoors all over the place and seemingly work fine. So my question is: 1) does everyone have a shoddy-looking seal on theirs (maybe mine is defective?), and 2) if you do, and yours is outdoors, have you really noticed no moisture getting inside?

I draped a plastic bag over it for now, since it won't be used for another month-ish. I'm also considering adding a bead of silicon to keep water out. Anyone have thoughts?

I've had mine for just under 2 years. I just had to replace the whip due to a damaged wand. I opened it up and it was perfectly dry and there was no sign of corrosion. I would say you'll be fine.