Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i know there are different versions of the HPWC out there and I'm trying to figure out what Version i need. Currently i have the one with elons signature on it installed at my moms house and i get my full 80A/240V=19kW I don't know what version that is. I just looked on the tesla page and the one they are selling now caps out at 48A which is basically not any better than using the UMC since that is 40A.

So what version is the current crap version they are selling now V3? V4? and what versions go up to 80A is there any known issues with installing a used one at a new location with the older versions?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
They stopped 80 amp chargers with version 3 a few years ago. Only older Teslas can home charge at 80. That said there is a setting on my Gen2 HPWC that allows for 80 amps, but my 2019 MS is limited to 48, and my wiring and breaker are 60 amp, so I have never tested it

Do you need all that speed? At 48A I get 53 miles of charge added per hour. How fast do you need to replenish your batteries after a days driving while at home?
i am planning on buying a house rather far from everything and there is a lack of superchargers in Northern NV. So say i leave my moms house with a full 90% and i drive home I'd be down to about 10% by then and if i wanted to leave again or i forgot something and wanted to go to like home depot it would be a real PITA if i had to wait 4 hr + instead of 2 hr or less to leave again.

They stopped 80 amp chargers with version 3 a few years ago. Only older Teslas can home charge at 80. That said there is a setting on my Gen2 HPWC that allows for 80 amps, but my 2019 MS is limited to 48, and my wiring and breaker are 60 amp, so I have never tested it
so what versions of the HPWC still go to 80A? V3 and older then?

i am planning on buying a house rather far from everything and there is a lack of superchargers in Northern NV. So say i leave my moms house with a full 90% and i drive home I'd be down to about 10% by then and if i wanted to leave again or i forgot something and wanted to go to like home depot it would be a real PITA if i had to wait 4 hr + instead of 2 hr or less to leave again.

so what versions of the HPWC still go to 80A? V3 and older then?
No you need a V2, V3 is the current version. They sometimes appear on Ebay for sale, I got mine there and it has been super dependable. Should cost you less than a V3 too. Got mine for $350

No you need a V2, V3 is the current version. They sometimes appear on Ebay for sale, I got mine there and it has been super dependable. Should cost you less than a V3 too. Got mine for $350
Should but doesn't. v2 have been selling for more than v3 ever since Tesla discontinued the v2 HPWC.

Simple supply v demand on a discontinued item that offers advantages over the newest (and only) version Tesla sells. From what I've seen, double the new price and up isn't uncommon, especially if it's new still. I'm sure you can find a deal but OP is going to be waiting years to find a deal that may never happen if they're waiting for $350. Eventually, it get increasingly difficult to find Gen 2 HPWC so the market will likely only continue going up unless Tesla decides to build a v4 that offers 80A charging again. I wouldn't hold your breath on that last part though as their entire model has been shifting to lower charge rate AC-based charging options. This could change with the introduction of the Cybertruck & Roadster but who knows if/when we'll see those so I wouldn't wait around if you want an 80A HPWC as the prices aren't going down anytime soon.

• Love
Currently i have the one with elons signature on it
That's a generation 2. That was the last one that had 80A capability.
I just looked on the tesla page and the one they are selling now caps out at 48A
That is the generation 3.
which is basically not any better than using the UMC since that is 40A.
That is only the OLD Gen1 UMC that does 40A, or the "Corded Mobile Connector", which is based on the Gen1. The current Gen2 UMC, which is what they switched to in about 2018 with the introduction of the Model 3, only does 32A, so the 48A is quite a bit more than that.
So what version is the current crap version they are selling now V3?
Yes, Gen3, and yes, it is crap compared to the wonderful and bulletproof Gen2, which had much better specs and capability.
and what versions go up to 80A
From Tesla? Only Gen2 ones. Or you can go with a Clipper Creek J1772 wall connector that does 80A. Those are still easy to get.
is there any known issues with installing a used one at a new location with the older versions?
I'm not sure what you mean by "with" the older versions. If you mean the interconnected circuit sharing? No, that doesn't work. There is no compatibility between mixing Gen2 and Gen3. You have to go with a set of the same type, which is what is leading to this demand for them on the used market, as people with 2 or 3 of the same type need to replace one, and it has to be the same kind.

Should cost you less than a V3 too. Got mine for $350
That is shocking to me.
Should but doesn't. v2 have been selling for more than v3 ever since Tesla discontinued the v2 HPWC.

Simple supply v demand on a discontinued item that offers advantages over the newest (and only) version Tesla sells. From what I've seen, double the new price and up isn't uncommon, especially if it's new still.
Yes, spot on, and that is all I have been hearing. The Gen2 ones are in high demand and have usually been selling for a lot because they are better and discontinued.

Reactions: zoomer0056

Simple supply v demand on a discontinued item that offers advantages over the newest (and only) version Tesla sells. From what I've seen, double the new price and up isn't uncommon, especially if it's new still. I'm sure you can find a deal but OP is going to be waiting years to find a deal that may never happen if they're waiting for $350. Eventually, it get increasingly difficult to find Gen 2 HPWC so the market will likely only continue going up unless Tesla decides to build a v4 that offers 80A charging again. I wouldn't hold your breath on that last part though as their entire model has been shifting to lower charge rate AC-based charging options. This could change with the introduction of the Cybertruck & Roadster but who knows if/when we'll see those so I wouldn't wait around if you want an 80A HPWC as the prices aren't going down anytime soon.
Well I did get it for $350 but that was two years ago before the V3 began to decline in popularity. It was open box too, but everything was fine with it!

That's a generation 2. That was the last one that had 80A capability.

That is the generation 3.

That is only the OLD Gen1 UMC that does 40A, or the "Corded Mobile Connector", which is based on the Gen1. The current Gen2 UMC, which is what they switched to in about 2018 with the introduction of the Model 3, only does 32A, so the 48A is quite a bit more than that.

Yes, Gen3, and yes, it is crap compared to the wonderful and bulletproof Gen2, which had much better specs and capability.

From Tesla? Only Gen2 ones. Or you can go with a Clipper Creek J1772 wall connector that does 80A. Those are still easy to get.

I'm not sure what you mean by "with" the older versions. If you mean the interconnected circuit sharing? No, that doesn't work. There is no compatibility between mixing Gen2 and Gen3. You have to go with a set of the same type, which is what is leading to this demand for them on the used market, as people with 2 or 3 of the same type need to replace one, and it has to be the same kind.

That is shocking to me.

Yes, spot on, and that is all I have been hearing. The Gen2 ones are in high demand and have usually been selling for a lot because they are better and discontinued.
OK well I got my V2 over two years ago when the wifi V3 was being touted as the latest and greatest. The price of $350 (plus some shipping) was for open box but everything was intact. Some of you all may remember that the V2 was often given away by Tesla as a referral reward and back then, with the V3 just arriving, and some people having an extra, there were some out there for a really good price. Not the case anymore I guess.

Some of you all may remember that the V2 was often given away by Tesla as a referral reward and back then, with the V3 just arriving, and some people having an extra, there were some out there for a really good price. Not the case anymore I guess.
Yep, I got one of those from the referral program, and it was sitting in my garage, and I hadn't installed it yet. Someone here on the forum had gotten a Gen3 and found how deficient it was and was asking how he could get a Gen2, so I offered to trade with him as a favor if he would pay the shipping.

I am always amazed at the knowledge of those on this board. I am learning stuff every day. My goal is to figure out my car by the time I get another one. I am amazed at the constant changes and different capabilities Tesla implements throughout the life of a car. Some vehicles in the same year are completely different in some respects. Hard to keep up with. :)

Clipper creek supplied the original Tesla HPWC and they still make the version with a J1772 plug. Near if not all the original ones are still working. Great support and they have an adjuster for a deporsit that you can change the pilot signal to reduce the Amps. They are a bit more expensive though.

Gen2 could be had with the longer (24ft) cord, too, vs the Gen3's 18ft.

I've been glad of the 80A capability of my Gen2 on a few occasions when a "quick turnaround" has been needed. My upcoming LR+ will only charge at 48A, which is a bummer. But if / when my Lucid arrives I'll get a TeslaTap and be able to charge it at 80A using the Gen2 Tesla charger.

Clipper creek supplied the original Tesla HPWC and they still make the version with a J1772 plug. Near if not all the original ones are still working. Great support and they have an adjuster for a deporsit that you can change the pilot signal to reduce the Amps. They are a bit more expensive though.
Clipper Creek ones that do 80A are insane like 2 freaking grand. There has to be a cheaper option for 80A when the V2's all disappear off the market