Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Setting Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electrical work begins tomorrow on the barn/garage. New 200Amp service with HPWC and 14-50R branch circuts for the S. The 14-50 will be a backup for the HPWC.

After we do the testing on the HPWC in test mode, I plan on setting the DIP switches to 80 amps as it is going to be on a 100 Amp SquareD QO breaker with appropriate copper wires. Now my S will only have one charger so it will max out at 40 AMP draw. I plan on being a part of PlugShare so would like my HPWC to be able to charge model S's with dual chargers...

I understand that my S will only draw the amperage that it can handle with one charger.... is that correct?

Any downside on having the DIPs set at 80 if I will only usually draw 40???

Your MS won't blow up :smile: -- it can handle your HPWC set to 80amps. Mine did for the few days before my dual charger was installed drawing only 40 amps, and my MS automatically started pulling the full 80 amps the first charge after the 2nd charger was installed. I made no changes to my HPWC between all that.

Good for you making an 80 Amp HPWC available for others!

The DIP settings indicate the offered current or maximum current available. The car can then use that amount or less. A single charger car can only take 40 Amps. You can always dial back from that on the touch screen. Also, when doing a 100% charge, the car will taper back on current as the battery nears 100%.

Enjoy your new Tesla!

As long as your electrician ok's it, this sounds fine. You car will know what to do. That's cool that you're making your HPWC available for others.

- K

Thanks, I'm only about 5 miles from the Milford, CT SuperCharger but near the connectors between R15 and I95 and RT8. I suspect someone may visit who has slightly miscalculated or has eaten up their kWh's while at a long standstill (which can happen during peak travel times as our roads in CT are UNDERSIZED.). I feel it is in our collective best interest as EV'ers to share our charging infrastructures with other EV'ers who need a kW in a pinch. Besides, I brew a great cup of coffee...

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm only about 5 miles from the Milford, CT SuperCharger but near the connectors between R15 and I95 and RT8. I suspect someone may visit who has slightly miscalculated or has eaten up their kWh's while at a long standstill (which can happen during peak travel times as our roads in CT are UNDERSIZED.). I feel it is in our collective best interest as EV'ers to share our charging infrastructures with other EV'ers who need a kW in a pinch. Besides, I brew a great cup of coffee...

I had my 14-50 outlet listed on Plugshare and got to meet people from a few other states when a 14-50 was the fastest charging available in town. Now that there is a Supercharger here, I don’t think it will come up anymore, and I’m kind of sad about it.