Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was plugging my MS in as usual and heard a buzzing sound from the Breaker panel. I emediately shut the HPWC circuit Breaker of and the Buzzing sound stopped.
The breaker was able to reset but the HPWC does not turn on seems like there is no power to the HPWC?

I am thinking that the Breaker is bad however if the breaker is bad would it still bet able to stay in the on position?
Has anyone had this issue before that could shed some light on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you did but did you turn the breaker all the way on and off and on again? No lights at all on the HPWC?

That sounds like the HPWC is indeed bad. Tesla at one point would come out and diagnose it but who knows nowadays. Might want to call national support and see what they say.

Sounds like you did but did you turn the breaker all the way on and off and on again? No lights at all on the HPWC?

That sounds like the HPWC is indeed bad. Tesla at one point would come out and diagnose it but who knows nowadays. Might want to call national support and see what they say.

Yes I turned the breaker on and off several times. No light on the HPWC.
I gave Tesla call they said to reset the breaker several times and Reset the HPWC.
If that does not work check the breaker. He did say that some buzzing at the breaker panel is normal but no sparks or breaker getting to hot wicheas not my case .
Will try this and report back , thanks for your help.

Hi all,

Plugged in my 3 Yesterday and my nine month old HPWC started to charge my 3 and then seem to crap out. First got a red light at the charge port then HPWC had no light at all. I can cycle the breaker which sometimes trips but sometimes stays on. I’ve verified there is power to the wire when the breaker is on.

No light on the HPWC. I have an email in to Tesla. Thoughts?

Hi all,

Plugged in my 3 Yesterday and my nine month old HPWC started to charge my 3 and then seem to crap out. First got a red light at the charge port then HPWC had no light at all. I can cycle the breaker which sometimes trips but sometimes stays on. I’ve verified there is power to the wire when the breaker is on.

No light on the HPWC. I have an email in to Tesla. Thoughts?
Reset the wall connector. See manual where the button is and follow the troubleshooting steps.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...nstallation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf?201612081439

Hi All,
Been using HPWC for 2.5 years without issue when yesterday it displayed solid red light when I plugged the charge cable into the car (S90D). I disconnected the car & reset the the unit: the light returned to green 'ready' status, but as soon as I plugged it back into the car the red light came back on. I power cycled the main breaker: same result. So I slowly charged using UMC cable overnight. The following morning, randomly I thought I'd try the HPWC again, and it seemed to charge OK, if only for a few minutes because the car was already charged. After a days driving, I repeated the whole process with the same symptoms. Then I figured the car must be telling the HPWC something different depending on its own state of charge (HPWC seems to work with full battery but not with half used). So I reset the car (2x steering wheel button press): Problem solved :)
I don't know why It didn't occur to me earlier, - I guess you naturally think the charger is the problem.
Hope this helps someone.