Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC - Suggested Design Changes for Easier Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone!
my electrician came by on Thursday to install my HPWC and he had a few design suggestions. He said that it was extremely difficult to make a turn inside of the HPWC with a 3ga 19 strand wire from the side entry point. He also wanted to use the rear entry spot but that heavy gauge of wire just won't bend inside of a wall built with 2x6s enough to make that turn!

Has TM ever thought about looking into the design of the HPWC from an ease of installation standpoint? If they made the box a little larger it may give us more room inside of the box to run the wires and hide them from the outside.

Send your feedback to the ownership +at+ teslamotors +dot+ com e-mail address. They take that and pass it on. I have the same feedback -- #2 / #3 wire is some hard stuff to work with in such a small place, especially if you have a elbow within 2 inches of the left cutout. I was hoping for a top cut-out myself.

Telll your electrician that it can be done. It is difficult to work with. Most are used to working with lighter wire for plugs, lights etc., or having a long straight run for the bigger wire. I'm sure that Tesla wanted to keep the enclosure as compact as possible for design esthetics. It helps if you start by terminating the HPWC and pulling wire through the conduit towards the source. You have more room to work at the source end for the final termination. Hope that helps!!

Hey everyone!
my electrician came by on Thursday to install my HPWC and he had a few design suggestions. He said that it was extremely difficult to make a turn inside of the HPWC with a 3ga 19 strand wire from the side entry point. He also wanted to use the rear entry spot but that heavy gauge of wire just won't bend inside of a wall built with 2x6s enough to make that turn!

Has TM ever thought about looking into the design of the HPWC from an ease of installation standpoint? If they made the box a little larger it may give us more room inside of the box to run the wires and hide them from the outside.

My electrician made similar comments when installing, that said he installed as recommended...very tight fit with that thick gauge wire...