Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC to J1772 adaptor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am starting to see Nissan sponsored CHAdeMO chargers putting up signs to restrict to Leafs only. A Model S owner I know was chased away with his CHAdeMO adapter. It's not out of the realm of possibility that some J1772 stations were put in for lower range EVs and not Teslas, so a Tesla parked there with the owner's adapter would be no better than a Leaf owner at a HPWC with the reverse adapter.

This is a drag to hear, but split incentive of a small business serving clientele vs general public is understandable I guess. (Another reason I like calling ahead, though limited or priority use should be clearly called out on plug share, etc...)

In any event, with this adapter becoming available would advocate people start buying only Tesla EVSE's and getting J adapters be the next logical step? The more Tesla charging in the field, the more pressure to move to that standard.

Then the next step in this issue:

Its pretty clear Elon views ICE as his only competition for the next 5-10 years, and views other EV's thus as allies of sorts. The big challenge is broadening adoption of all sorts of EV's being necessary to provide irrefutable proof of concept to early majority, which is the group that will really put demand into overdrive and insure market success on the world changing level Elon wants (and most of us, right?).

Early majority will need EV's without sacrifice from multiple manufacturers. A 200 mile car will not do it.

So how do we lobby GM to adopt Tesla charging standard and offer Supercharging option for the Bolt?

Last edited:
I came to this thread at this late stage but - I'm pretty much interested in this adapter if they are ever made. Here in Japan we don't have more than 3kW J1772 chargers available, so importing Clipper Creeks and allow it to work under 200V/50Hz lower edge voltage/frequency, OR use Tesla HPWC. Of course the latter can only be used by Teslas, so if the adapter becomes available, I can install Tesla HPWC with the adapter to allow Teslas and other J1772 compatible vehicles to charge. This is especially important if one plans to install new apartment charging station(s) as the stations need to be future proof. 3kW is not future proof. High amp J1772s are, but 80A HPWC+the adapter is also future proof.

BTW with regard to priority discussion above - I wonder why they are being discussed. There WILL be a lot of charging stations and we EV owners don't have to compete at them. If the number of plugs is not enough at a hotel, the owner can install a few more in one week. In Japan, FamilyMart installed 650 CHAdeMO stations nationwide in three months. Nissan is installing 2nd CHAdeMO everywhere. ALL Mitsubishi dealers will have CHAdeMOs by the end of this year. Shopping malls install 4 CHAdeMOs or 125(!) J1772s. I think instead of worrying about these things, we need to focus on broader EV adoption (and less oil).

Here's another spin on the advantages of a a Tesla to J adapter, from another thread:

Sorry to hijack this thread but now that we have had such success with the J-esla UMC, is there any way to go in the opposite direction? IE to turn the EVSC formerly known as the Tesla HPWC to a J1772 plug or to build an adapter for it?

I ask b/c my condo board is finally getting around to installing a 240/208 V EVSC after very kindly installing 4 basic NEMA 5-20 outlets in our garage. I have petitioned them to simply install a NEMA 14-50 and have all the BEV drivers supply their own charging cable (as this would be the cheapest install) but this option is considered a bit "unpolished" and they are basically looking at some cheapo 30 Amp EVSEs.

The HPWC is an easier sell as it is much cheaper than the Clipper Creek CS-100, but the condo board will not install a proprietary charger than can only be used by one type of vehicle. a modified HPWC or some sort of Tesla to J1772 adapter would be so helpful here.

Currently there are 3 model Ss in the garage, and 8 other BEVs that use a J1772. I am the only one who uses my Volt as a daily driver. The rest use their BEV as a weekend car which is why the NEMA-5 has been adequate for the garage's needs thus far.

Can such an adapter be made?

I have heard that a firm is developing Tesla to J1772 adapter and that it will be out this fall, or by the end of the year. Won't say more because I'm not sure if the details are confidential or not.

Quick Charge Power?! ;)

As mentioned before, Tony Williams - unfortunately banned from this forum for whatever reason - is indeed building such an adapter as per multiple accounts.

I love their JESLA - I had my first UMC modified to a JESLA and use it for charging the e-Golf.

I had been charging our e-Golf on the provided 120V cord until I found a used Jesla for sale by an owner who sold his RAV4 EV. Works great on the e-Golf. The Dostar J1772 handle is a little more snug in the port than the Clipper Creek or Leviton handles though. Now I can use the Jesla for travel charging the RAV too.