TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HPWC trick over?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by ponzu, Jun 5, 2018.

1. ponzu

ponzu Member

Those who configured and have not gotten the VIN assigned -- have you tried the HPWC trick lately? If not, would you mind trying it now?

I resolved to stop refreshing my shopping cart with HPWC in it, which was showing my RN and "This is a gift for another VIN" in the dropdown. I figured a watched RN never boils.

But today I resolved to break my resolution and went to check up on it. What I found is "This is a gift for another VIN" as the only option.

Now I am thinking one of three things must have happened.

A. They have heard about and took away the HPWC trick because their shopping site was experiencing a DDOS-like load from the compulsive refreshers.
    B. They cancelled my reservation because someone reported as hate speech my posts where I was dissing white and silver paint colors.
    C. My build has progressed to the stage where a highly trained team of ISAs is working on crafting the official VIN notification email, but it is too secret to show in the shopping cart.

What do you think and, more importantly, what do you see?

• Funny x 1
  2. MissyMcBee

MissyMcBee Member

I just checked and it changed....at first i thought maybe i had a VIN and it was registering yet but i think Tesla is playing with US! UGH!! I WANT MY VIN!!!!:p

btw...i've checked at least 10x today and it was not like this until now....

3. IslandGirl

IslandGirl Member

Several people are reporting it.

I just noticed it a few minutes ago and then checked different forums to confirm that they did away with it.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Member

Mine says ... or VIN not yet assigned. See image

Attached Files:

5. EasterEgg

EasterEgg Member

Crap... This happened to me too.
    I think Tesla found out....

6. dankumm

dankumm Member

I had RN on the cart until it switched to my VIN today

7. RyanDe

RyanDe Member

So I have a VIN (visible in my manage page) and it's not visible on the store page. Guess they patched that bug...

8. Donskipton

Donskipton Member

Mine worked this morning but not this afternoon. Oh well at least I saw it for 2 days.

9. dankumm

dankumm Member

aaaannnnd now its gone. Was there around noon. Called Tesla and they confirmed I had a VIN so looks like they are just hiding it

10. ponzu

ponzu Member

Mine says the same now. They are updating the web site in real time. Caught in the act!

Makes more sense now, but they did ruin a neat little game.

11. ponzu

ponzu Member

12. Moderatefan

Moderatefan Member

I bet there's a paid spy among us, looking for PR disasters brewing (like the one with alcantara) and other tips and tricks they want to control...
    Who wants to bet if eventually they catch/torture @augkuo ?

13. eprosenx

eprosenx Member

Ditto here. Earlier today it showed my reservation number, now it just shows "This is a gift or VIN not yet assigned".

Bummer. I was hoping this state change meant that perhaps I now have a VIN but they just won't show it to me.

I am in the 4/18 group and have now been waiting 48 days. I got the "July" delay email so I may still be a month out. That sucks!!!

14. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Member

The crazy thing is that some July email recipients are receiving VINs while June recipients (including me) are still waiting for a VIN. With my luck Model Y owners will get their car before I get my 3.

• Funny x 2
  15. Smin

Smin Member

Showed for me earlier but it's gone now... bummer..

16. octoad

octoad Member

I now have my TM3, and when I try the VIN trick, I see my VIN. My guess is that those without a VIN simply don't see the reservation number. So, if you have a VIN, you'll see a VIN. If you don't, you'll see the message about it being a gift.

17. manishee

manishee Member

If only Tesla could focus on making cars faster, and communicating what is going on, it would help more... Rather than spending cycles in filling holes that paying customers are using... for getting information that gives them a warm and fuzzy feeling a tad bit sooner...

18. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride Member

Does it remain true that you will see the "Edit Design" link in your account until a VIN is assigned? We just won't be able to see what that VIN is until they tell us?

19. TT97

TT97 Member

Once you have your car, the VIN will still show. The VIN trick that they changed is after the VIN is "assigned" yet before your car is delivered.

20. ponzu

ponzu Member

As I understood, the value of the HPWC trick was this. Even before VIN was visible on the main page, and before the VIN email went out, VIN would show up in the shopping cart. Maybe hours, maybe days earlier that the official news. And as we all know, that counts.