Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC / UMC2 to Roadster adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking I need to have my name engraved on mine, just in case it 'walks off'. :)

Best Roadster accessory ever!

Nice one! It is a great platform to engrave on. We're very fortunate to have such a talented, genuine, and down to earth individual in our community. Thanks Henry! I can't imagine us and the Roadster without you and your amazing contributions.

I'm thinking I need to have my name engraved on mine, just in case it 'walks off'. :)

Best Roadster accessory ever!

You can get a small padlock and lock your CAN, Henry's already got the holes for you ;)

Also I tried the Burlingame chargers this morning, no problems this time!
IMG_2896.JPG

Although I am recent to the Tesla family, I've always been impressed with the Roadser and just spent the last hour reading this active thread - it's either that or sleep... Anywho, a few things struck me:

The fact that Henry has prototyped, then manufactured, these CANs as a labor of love for the community need is exemplar of the comraderie I've seen to date from all Tesla owners. Even though I have no (current ;-)) need for these, I still would like to contribute to any research fund, etc if that's going to be resurrected Henry/Bart; irrespective - thank you Henry.

I presume that any forthcoming adapter for model S CHAdeMO, would not work with CAN SR as it's DC fast charge, similar to Tesla SCs?

Finally, and with apologies if this one should be in a more general forum: I read a number of questions regarding the feasibility of a Model S To J1772 adapter (CAN SJ ? ;-)). With the seeming, and personal, trend toward multiple EVs does it make more sense for multiple home lower power EVSEs, eg just install a couple of 14-50s vs one hwpc? Dropping more power to the house panel is very limiting personally, and may be for others...

cheers, Mike

I presume that any forthcoming adapter for model S CHAdeMO, would not work with CAN SR as it's DC fast charge, similar to Tesla SCs?

Correct, the CHAdeMO adapter will use SuperCharger signaling on the car side, which the Roadster doesn't speak. Nothing will happen if a Roadster is plugged into a CHAdeMO station using the two adapters.

Finally, and with apologies if this one should be in a more general forum: I read a number of questions regarding the feasibility of a Model S To J1772 adapter (CAN SJ ? ;-)).

Certainly would be doable and it sounds like there's demand for it, but would be a pain to test and support every EV on the market. J1772 isn't a well defined standard and every car would have its own quirks in connecting to an HPWC. As you can see from the thread it was tough enough for Henry to get it working with the Roadster alone!

i just recently inquired about adding a CHAdeMO port to my roadster. a company called quickchargepower is retrofitting in several vehicles including the tesla technology (RAV4EV). I recieved a response from them stating "We have only recently begun looking at the Roadster. I had assumed that the Supercharger would be offered.Thankfully, it would be relatively easy due to our familiarity with the Tesla BMS and CAN bus messages. If somebody in Southern California could leave me their car for about a week, we can carefully explore the possibilities. Where to access the battery, mount our relay box, and mount the CHAdeMO port all need to be assessed. Thanks,Tony Williams R&D Manager Quick Charge Power LLC TonyWilliamsatQuickChargePowerdotcom or wwwdotQuickChargePower.com
I would love to let them add the CHAdeMO to my Roadster this way I would have a Fast Charging option. I'm in Delaware

i just recently inquired about adding a CHAdeMO port to my roadster. a company called quickchargepower is retrofitting in several vehicles including the tesla technology (RAV4EV). I recieved a response from them stating "We have only recently begun looking at the Roadster. I had assumed that the Supercharger would be offered.Thankfully, it would be relatively easy due to our familiarity with the Tesla BMS and CAN bus messages. If somebody in Southern California could leave me their car for about a week, we can carefully explore the possibilities. Where to access the battery, mount our relay box, and mount the CHAdeMO port all need to be assessed. Thanks,Tony Williams R&D Manager Quick Charge Power LLC TonyWilliamsatQuickChargePowerdotcom or wwwdotQuickChargePower.com
I would love to let them add the CHAdeMO to my Roadster this way I would have a Fast Charging option. I'm in Delaware

It might be good to start a new thread for the CHAdeMO discussion. I brought this up in the Do you want Supercharging thread. Issue is the complete battery pack will need to be dropped in order to access the contactor, so that's going to be a serious job and issue if the shop is not prepared for it.

I just received my Can II and I can't wait to try it out. That being said, it is 14 degrees F here with ice all around so I might just drive the Roadster another day :(

As everyone before me has mentioned, the quality of the workmanship is outstanding.

Many Thanks Henry!

Best,

T

What would you be willing to pay for that, and what do you think is the perceived price point? That's 2 separate questions.

I'd like to pay under $250.

Well, jesla is $1000, umc is $650. So there's $350. Tesla j adapter is $100. I think the price point is between $100 & $350.

Might be a cool kick starter. I'll help if you want. Biggest risk is Tesla comes out with one on their own.

Correct, the CHAdeMO adapter will use SuperCharger signaling on the car side, which the Roadster doesn't speak. Nothing will happen if a Roadster is plugged into a CHAdeMO station using the two adapters.

Certainly would be doable and it sounds like there's demand for it, but would be a pain to test and support every EV on the market. J1772 isn't a well defined standard and every car would have its own quirks in connecting to an HPWC. As you can see from the thread it was tough enough for Henry to get it working with the Roadster alone!

Thanks DJP, very helpful. I noted from this Tesla presentation ( slide 17: http://www.advancedenergy.org/portal/ncpev/blog/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Witt-Presentation.pdf) that it states the "Tesla proprietary charge connector is J1772 compatible ". So, I was hopeful this was feasible.

- - - Updated - - -

What would you be willing to pay for that, and what do you think is the perceived price point? That's 2 separate questions.

Based on other adapters, somewhere between 100 & 150 seems reasonable - though bespoke solutions often have a premium so up to 200? (Completely guessing here ;-)).

EDIT: Re-reading my post, I was perhaps a little harsh, and I clearly set you up for it. I'm sorry for that. It's been a long day.

You weren't harsh - I read the original requests and wondered how in the world you could even break even on materials at those price points, but then thought perhaps I was missing something. I should have spoken up.

Just for the record here on the thread - the adapters from Henry are a great deal at their current price point. Just look at the price over on that *other* website :). And take far less precious room. Seriously, when the CAN JR first came out, I immediately sold the adapter I had (at a small loss) and replaced it with a CAN.

- - - Updated - - -

One would hope there aren't too many model s owners so self entitled, but I suspect you might be right. That said, I believe Elon when he says he wants to promote EV adoption, not simply Tesla adoption.

Fortunately, innovators like Henry don't believe in limitations. Here's to hoping Henry makes it and Tesla doesn't!

Yes, Elon said that. He also hopes other manufacturers will step up. Somehow I don't think his plan is to provide charging stations gratis to all the other manufacturers, so they can sell more cars, while he picks up the expense. Of course other cars would like higher-juice stations.

I don't hang out on the other forums - are owners of other EVs working together to either place their own spots (and be available to everyone) or work with the manufacturer of their car to supply more spots? If so, then I think it's a reasonable request. If not, then that label of Tesla owners was completely uncalled for.

(For the record, many of us have been turned away from Nissan dealerships in the past when needing a charge ("only for Leafs").)

Just curious if anyone is still experiencing difficulties using the SR. Henry sent me three - count them, THREE, and I couldn't get any of them to work at either the Torrance SC or a neighbor's HPWC. All three worked on a Roadster 1.5 but not on my late production 2.0. Any thoughts on what might solve my charging issue? Do you think Telsa changed things when moving from the 2.0 to 2.5? FWIW - my JR works fine.

When I picked up my car at the Burlingame Service center, Karl Kreitner the service advisor asked me where I got the CAN SR from. He said it looked very professional and well-made and not like a hobbyist hack job. So kudos to you Henry! ;)