Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC / UMC2 to Roadster adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if anyone is still experiencing difficulties using the SR. Henry sent me three - count them, THREE, and I couldn't get any of them to work at either the Torrance SC or a neighbor's HPWC. All three worked on a Roadster 1.5 but not on my late production 2.0. Any thoughts on what might solve my charging issue? Do you think Telsa changed things when moving from the 2.0 to 2.5? FWIW - my JR works fine.

Has your Roadster software been updated to handle an 80amp pilot signal?

Just curious if anyone is still experiencing difficulties using the SR. Henry sent me three - count them, THREE, and I couldn't get any of them to work at either the Torrance SC or a neighbor's HPWC. All three worked on a Roadster 1.5 but not on my late production 2.0. Any thoughts on what might solve my charging issue? Do you think Telsa changed things when moving from the 2.0 to 2.5? FWIW - my JR works fine.

Tesla 940's car is a bit of a mystery. I don't think it's the 80A charging bug but not sure. His car has failed to charge using CAN-SR on every MS charger he's ever tried (a total of 4). Most other people find an average of 1 out of 20 that don't work. Two of those chargers (that Tesla 940 tried) have worked multiple times on another Roadster and one of them has worked on a 2.5. I've got another 2.5 test scheduled for later this month on the same HPWCs. When the data comes in from that I'll have more thoughts.

I had the FW issue back up-thread after erroneously believing I was on the latest version. You have a neighbor with a HPWC so he should also have a Model S UMC? It's worth trying out the UMC and seeing if that works. If it works at the lower amperage then it's definitely your Roadster FW that needs updating.

Why not work with the neighbor to open the HPWC and temporarily change the DIP switches to lower the pilot? I would think that would conclusively determine if that Roadster still has the 80A charging bug.

That's a good idea, and the same method another person used to determine he didn't have the latest firmware. But he sent me a video and it looked like a different problem. It would be easier to just check his firmware version.

Yes it could be the firmware. My SC claimed I had the latest firmware. After a few references to TMC they sent someone out to upgrade me as they did not, after all, have the latest firmware to install when the car was serviced. But with nudging they found a later copy and I was impressed they made a special 300 mile trip to see me. With the CAN SR and the right firmware I have not had an issue.

Last edited:
Data points after ~2 weeks testing: the CAN-Sr has worked perfectly on 5 'B' versions and 5 'D' versions of the Model S HPWC. One of the 'B' HPWCs on an island here has a (theoretical because it fluctuates) 208v 60A feed where my Roadster pulled 213v and 47A and the CAN was flawless.

Thanks again Henry.

Data points after ~2 weeks testing: the CAN-Sr has worked perfectly on 5 'B' versions and 5 'D' versions of the Model S HPWC. One of the 'B' HPWCs on an island here has a (theoretical because it fluctuates) 208v 60A feed where my Roadster pulled 213v and 47A and the CAN was flawless.

Thanks again Henry.

Thanks for the report! I love news like that! I'm building them whenever I can sneak time from my family and job and it shouldn't be too long before I get through the list.

I know this is an old thread but thought I'd jump in. I'm hoping to acquire 1 each of Henry's SR and JR CAN's because it sounds like the right solution for me (I'm on the list for a Model X, in 'who knows?).
But for those interested, Colin Flynn, Mgr. of Tesla's Charging Installation Program was rather encouraging that they'd soon have the Roadster HPWC available again.

Yes it could be the firmware. My SC claimed I had the latest firmware. After a few references to TMC they sent someone out to upgrade me as they did not, after all, have the latest firmware to install when the car was serviced. But with nudging they found a later copy and I was impressed they made a special 300 mile trip to see me. With the CAN SR and the right firmware I have not had an issue.

I called the Torrance, CA Service Center and the Service Manager stated that if my car was serviced in the last year (which it has) it would have version 4.6.8 (the latest). When I asked if there was some way to verify that, the SM stated that the information regarding FW versions was not visible on the VDS. So... does anyone know how I can verify the FW version?

As for asking my neighbor to "open up" his charger - I'm really hesitant to take that approach. He's a neighbor, who is nice, not necessarily a friend - if you know what I mean.

Thanks

I called the Torrance, CA Service Center and the Service Manager stated that if my car was serviced in the last year (which it has) it would have version 4.6.8 (the latest). When I asked if there was some way to verify that, the SM stated that the information regarding FW versions was not visible on the VDS. So... does anyone know how I can verify the FW version?

As for asking my neighbor to "open up" his charger - I'm really hesitant to take that approach. He's a neighbor, who is nice, not necessarily a friend - if you know what I mean.

Thanks

It's probably quick for them to check... Just swing by the SC and ask them to verify...

Pull a log file on USB stick, and look at it with the Graphical Log Parser (available via http://www.teslaflux.com/).

There's an arrow button on the bottom ">", which leads to firmware history as one option. (At least that's what I do. Thanks Doug_G et al!:biggrin:).

Thanks Henry!

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

There's the red flag. The SM is assuming you have the correct FW, meaning that he didn't actually check; my Service Center only received the latest FW a few months back (August IIRC) but my last service was in April.

Pull the logs on a USB and the easiest way to see the FW version is just open the file on a PC with 'Editor' and use Ctrl+F to search for the word "firmware". You need firmware 4.6.8