Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC / UMC2 to Roadster adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did this adapter ever go anywhere? Still working on it?

Still working on it. I have 3 prototypes. The problem is that it's gone through 4 re-designs for various reasons. The most recent was due to the firmware upgrade for the Roadster which allowed me to vastly simplify a few things. I'm hoping to start producing it soon after a little more testing.

Still working on it. I have 3 prototypes. The problem is that it's gone through 4 re-designs for various reasons. The most recent was due to the firmware upgrade for the Roadster which allowed me to vastly simplify a few things. I'm hoping to start producing it soon after a little more testing.

So anxious - Opens up travel in roadster in the from Dayton Ohio area to KY, Northern Ohio and Indianapolis due to store openings with HPWC.

hcsharp - I Love using "The CAN" and am so grateful for your work on it. I like in a condo and can't get a charger in my building and it is a lifesaver. I would definitely buy the Model S adapter as well, can't wait to see it!

My apologies for taking so long! The last prototype would have cost about the same to produce as I could reasonably sell it for so I had to change a few things. It's almost ready. I'm really not trying to abuse your patience...

- - - Updated - - -

HCSharp I too will be a likely buyer if you get the chance to complete.

Added to the reservation list. Thanks. Hoping to start making that list shorter pretty soon.

Interestingly enough, I think the Model S to Roadster adapter is going to become a necessity for west coast travel in the Roadster. Where the Tesla Highway relies on a Tesla store to provide a high power Roadster charger, I believe those are all changed over to Model S high power wall chargers, or are on their way. In Portland at the Washington Square store, the Roadster charger has been replaced by a Model S wall charger with a NEMA 14-50 around so we Roadster owners don't feel completely left out.

I'll be one of the later adopters Henry - I'll wait for some people to get their adapters in hand, and particularly hear how the Tesla stores react to Roadster owners connecting up to the Model S chargers. I don't really expect troubles, but well - I'm mostly a late(r) adopter of technology, despite working in a technical field in a technology industry :)

Something of a sidebar - I think it'd be awfully slick if Tesla officially or unofficially made it clear they were leaving the field of Model S to Roadster adapters to you. Not like it'll ever be a high volume business, and saves them the expense of the engineering and testing.

Interestingly enough, I think the Model S to Roadster adapter is going to become a necessity for west coast travel in the Roadster. Where the Tesla Highway relies on a Tesla store to provide a high power Roadster charger, I believe those are all changed over to Model S high power wall chargers, or are on their way. In Portland at the Washington Square store, the Roadster charger has been replaced by a Model S wall charger with a NEMA 14-50 around so we Roadster owners don't feel completely left out.

It's sad that most of the Roadster 70A chargers at stores and service centers have been replaced with HPWC for Model S. It's not just the west coast. We made a long trip (2300 mi round trip) last May and used 70A store charging twice. A week later and I would have had to use my new adapter at the Carsons Corner store.

Something of a sidebar - I think it'd be awfully slick if Tesla officially or unofficially made it clear they were leaving the field of Model S to Roadster adapters to you. Not like it'll ever be a high volume business, and saves them the expense of the engineering and testing.

I wish they would make it clear so I could be more liberal investing in development and have it ready quicker. They told some of the CPO sales staff to refer people to me because they have no plans to make any more adapters for the Roadster (special thanks to Alex, Kevin and others). Some of the Roadster-era service center employees have been referring people to me for a while, but not consistently (special thanks to Johnny and the others). Regardless, it's still pretty low volume. Got a quote in November for an injection molded part - $22,800 just for the mold. Nope. But if there was a guarantee that Tesla wouldn't do it, I would consider it.

Would it be simpler and cheaper to leverage off the CAN? Say a reverse J1772 connection to fit the CAN to a Model S charge connector since the 80AMP charge bug has been fixed? Possibly that's too many connectors for your liking. I wish Tesla would open up a SkunkWorks project with some of the Senior forum members such as Henry. That way we could leverage Tesla's buying ability without tying up Tesla's test, research and development resources but still keep the Roadster and legacy community happy and current with new improvements and technology.

2012_Tesla_Model_S_carsdcom_26.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have an estimate of when deliveries will begin Henry?

I'm no longer giving out a date because I've embarrassed myself one too many times. I've made some new beta versions after the last revision and when I'm confident they are reliable and practical, I'll go into production. So far so good. Don't hold your breath but it should be soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Would it be simpler and cheaper to leverage off the CAN? Say a reverse J1772 connection to fit the CAN to a Model S charge connector since the 80AMP charge bug has been fixed?

I'm already leveraging off the CAN for some of the parts but this adapter is much more complicated, both mechanically and electrically (is that a real word?). The Tesla II connector requires a latch, a switch, and custom machined contacts among other things.

• Informative
Reactions: ra88it
It's sad that most of the Roadster 70A chargers at stores and service centers have been replaced with HPWC for Model S. It's not just the west coast. We made a long trip (2300 mi round trip) last May and used 70A store charging twice. A week later and I would have had to use my new adapter at the Carsons Corner store.

I wish they would make it clear so I could be more liberal investing in development and have it ready quicker. They told some of the CPO sales staff to refer people to me because they have no plans to make any more adapters for the Roadster (special thanks to Alex, Kevin and others). Some of the Roadster-era service center employees have been referring people to me for a while, but not consistently (special thanks to Johnny and the others). Regardless, it's still pretty low volume. Got a quote in November for an injection molded part - $22,800 just for the mold. Nope. But if there was a guarantee that Tesla wouldn't do it, I would consider it.

Hi Henry,

First I'll apologize I've been watching to much "Shark Tank". Would you consider a royalty based system taking an investor with a kickback for every adapter sold? I'm interested in investing not to make money - but breaking even would work for me. If you make the adapter it will be better than what Tesla has to offer. The only possible loss is if they change the roadster charging in the future. It's worth the investment to me. Any others interested?

---Kent

Hi Henry,

First I'll apologize I've been watching to much "Shark Tank". Would you consider a royalty based system taking an investor with a kickback for every adapter sold? I'm interested in investing not to make money - but breaking even would work for me. If you make the adapter it will be better than what Tesla has to offer. The only possible loss is if they change the roadster charging in the future. It's worth the investment to me. Any others interested?

---Kent

Thanks for your offer. That’s very kind. I’m not sure it puts me in a better position though. Your bottom line is breaking even and I’m actually prepared to lose money so I’d have to be even more conservative with your investment. Not that I would ask you to consider losing money! I think I’m pretty close to having this ready to roll. I need a web site to make it easier to handle orders. I’ll probably get help with that because I don’t have time.