Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC / UMC2 to Roadster adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How'd you do in the quarter?

Not too good.
The track was slippery on the start line and Traction Control was kicking in for the first second or two...
which gave the 85D a clear edge with 4 wheels pulling the car off the starting line.
So while he achieved consistent sub-13 seconds quarter miles (I'll let him post his stuff), I was over 13 seconds on all runs.

Here's the short numbers for the quarter mile:
- 13,44 sec @ 96.38 mi/h
- 13.59 sec @ 96.43 mi/h
- 13.49 sec @ 97.96 mi/h
- 13.41 sec @ 98.70 mi/h

My only 'winning' run was the second one (slowest) because the driver of 85D was sitting next to me enjoying a roadster experience
and we were racing a somewhat 'boosted' Honda who beat me on reaction time by 0.7 sec...but just saw my tail lights rapidly afterwards :cool:

As for video, while we do have some footage, it was after sunset and they are in the hands of my main opponent of the evening so they may or may not be usable, I just don't know yet.

(mods, feel free to move this and the couple previous posts away from Henry's adapter thread)

Video?????!?!?!?

Here's the short numbers for the quarter mile:
- 13,44 sec @ 96.38 mi/h
- 13.59 sec @ 96.43 mi/h
- 13.49 sec @ 97.96 mi/h
- 13.41 sec @ 98.70 mi/h

[...]

As for video, while we do have some footage, it was after sunset and they are in the hands of my main opponent of the evening so they may or may not be usable, I just don't know yet.

(mods, feel free to move this and the couple previous posts away from Henry's adapter thread)

See the video here : Tesla Roadster VS my 85D on the quarter mile

Last edited:
Working perfectly at the Factory! Now I don't have to fight over the very few Roadster HPCs we still have here :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444922263.157956.jpg

Reactions: Sig72
Henry,

Here is some additional data for you to use as reference. I have been using the CAN without issue at the Tesla Factory. The adapter works every time on the bank of Model S HPCs that we have.

Here is the serial number of that charger:

Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 7.41.50 AM.png

On the other hand, I was at Dublin Service yesterday, and the adapter doesn't work on any of the HPCs at the site. I either get red flashing ring, or a flickering blue ring around the charge port. Here is the serial number from one of those chargers:

Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 7.41.25 AM.png

Henry,

Here is some additional data for you to use as reference. I have been using the CAN without issue at the Tesla Factory. The adapter works every time on the bank of Model S HPCs that we have.

Here is the serial number of that charger:

On the other hand, I was at Dublin Service yesterday, and the adapter doesn't work on any of the HPCs at the site. I either get red flashing ring, or a flickering blue ring around the charge port. Here is the serial number from one of those chargers:

I can confirm that the Can I bought about a year ago does not work at Dublin either. On all other chargers I usually (95% of the time) get a charging fault--I hit the reset button on the charger and it will then work. Odd but I've simply gotten used to doing that.

More investigations :)

We also have Model S HPCs with J1772 ends on them at the factory (for employees with non-Tesla vehicles). I have the Tesla-made Roadster-J1772 adapter, and I get an external charger error when using them. Here is a picture of the part number of that HPC (same as the one in Dublin):

Screen Shot 2015-10-27 at 8.29.48 AM.png

Here are the part numbers of the different HPCs:

Tesla P/N: 1011831-99-B (Works with CAN)
Tesla P/N: 1011831-00-D (Does not work with CAN)

I can confirm that the Can I bought about a year ago does not work at Dublin either. On all other chargers I usually (95% of the time) get a charging fault--I hit the reset button on the charger and it will then work. Odd but I've simply gotten used to doing that.
Try holding in the thumb latch on the CAN-SR as the charger connection is plugged in and keep holding it in for another second or two before releasing. That seemed to cure the red-light external charging fault that I got at several destination chargers.

More investigations :)

We also have Model S HPCs with J1772 ends on them at the factory (for employees with non-Tesla vehicles). I have the Tesla-made Roadster-J1772 adapter, and I get an external charger error when using them. Here is a picture of the part number of that HPC (same as the one in Dublin):

Here are the part numbers of the different HPCs:

Tesla P/N: 1011831-99-B (Works with CAN)
Tesla P/N: 1011831-00-D (Does not work with CAN)

Interesting to note the ones that don't work are all D revisions with the same P/N. I was at a Destination charger in Boston a couple weeks ago that didn't work and sure enough, it was a D revision and although I didn't make note of the P/N, I think it was the same. We went to the Colonnade Hotel which has a Roadster HPC with a native Roadster connector and it didn't work. Went to another hotel (D revision but different P/N) and charged at 70A. llavalle also has a D with a different P/N that also works.

Try holding in the thumb latch on the CAN-SR as the charger connection is plugged in and keep holding it in for another second or two before releasing. That seemed to cure the red-light external charging fault that I got at several destination chargers.

This often helps if you get a fault. By "holding the thumb latch in" he means pushing it towards the car while you plug the S connector in, then wait a few seconds before releasing it.

Allright, I have seen not anyone discussing the Model S UMC part numbers in this thread much, so I'll chime in with my results since I have a fresh update from my visit to the SC today...probably my last drive before storing the roadster for the winter :(

I was trying to have my Model S UMC working with the CAN-SR.
My original UMC was Part No: 1058221-00-A, so a Revision A and it didn't work.
I went to the SC and asked for a swap but didn't try it out...silly me, of course Rev C also did not work!...
My fault, I should have taken the time to try it there!
So I wend back today and we tried a couple with my adviser.
Today, we tried two and both worked a Rev B and Rev E. Since the Rev E was new, that's the one the adviser swapped mine with.
The Rev B was used in the service area.

To summarize:
Model S UMC Rev A, Rev C = not good with CAN-SR --> red circle of death!
Model S UMC Rev B, Rev E = GOOD with CAN-SR
Model S UMC Rev D ?someone else will have to try and give us results!

Thanks Henri for your support again...a beautiful piece of hardware!

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester
Allright, I have seen not anyone discussing the Model S UMC part numbers in this thread much, so I'll chime in with my results since I have a fresh update from my visit to the SC today...probably my last drive before storing the roadster for the winter :(

I was trying to have my Model S UMC working with the CAN-SR.
My original UMC was Part No: 1058221-00-A, so a Revision A and it didn't work.
I went to the SC and asked for a swap but didn't try it out...silly me, of course Rev C also did not work!...
My fault, I should have taken the time to try it there!
So I wend back today and we tried a couple with my adviser.
Today, we tried two and both worked a Rev B and Rev E. Since the Rev E was new, that's the one the adviser swapped mine with.
The Rev B was used in the service area.

To summarize:
Model S UMC Rev A, Rev C = not good with CAN-SR --> red circle of death!
Model S UMC Rev B, Rev E = GOOD with CAN-SR
Model S UMC Rev D ?someone else will have to try and give us results!

Thanks Henri for your support again...a beautiful piece of hardware!

Thanks for the testing on this @Roadrunner13 It gives the Roadster community a way to pre-check which UMCs to shop for (especially 2.x users, since 1.5 ones behave differently.)

(BTW, we've been good so far on all sorts of Model S connectors... fingers crossed, I just installed one of the new HPWCs in the garage and my wife's car has been in service for a replacement motor since then (about five weeks now)).