Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC / UMC2 to Roadster adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, sure, I accept that, but I was also wanting to draw attention to the fact that UMC P/N's vary by more than just the last character/letter.

...and that is important!!!
All the one's I had seen where '00'...but I didn't check the Rev B one today, nor do I have a pics :oops:
My Rev C was not a '01'.
Mine were:
1058221-00-A
1058221-??-B
1058221-00-C
1058221-00-E

...and that is important!!!
All the one's I had seen where '00'...but I didn't check the Rev B one today, nor do I have a pics :oops:
My Rev C was not a '01'.
Mine were:
1058221-00-A
1058221-??-B
1058221-00-C
1058221-00-E
Roadrunner I'm really happy to hear you now have one that works! I was a little worried after your last report, especially after I tried some new ones (01-C and 00-E) and they both worked on my 2.5. I traveled from Northern VT to Toronto last week and almost called you to take a detour to test one of them.

While revision and S/N matter, sometimes you will get a bad HPWC or UMC no matter what version or S/N you have. Many of their chargers had poor tolerance with specs. A Model S might handle it but a Roadster may not.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Roadrunner I'm really happy to hear you now have one that works! I was a little worried after your last report, especially after I tried some new ones (01-C and 00-E) and they both worked on my 2.5. I traveled from Northern VT to Toronto last week and almost called you to take a detour to test one of them.

While revision and S/N matter, sometimes you will get a bad HPWC or UMC no matter what version or S/N you have. Many of their chargers had poor tolerance with specs. A Model S might handle it but a Roadster may not.

You would have been most welcomed to stop by...still somewhat of a detour though! :)

At least your result were coherent with mine so I'm not too worried about my Roadster being some kind of weird exception anymore.
Other people failing with the same part/revision number would further my assurance but I'm happy with having one UMC that works!

Of course, the nice part about the UMC is that we can try it at the SC with the roadster to make sure it works BEFORE going on a trip!
So part/rev no. don't matter as much, especially if they have poor tolerance spec in the first place.

Ah. Out here my routine is to turn on the seat heater, turn on the car heater, put on gloves and a hat. It it is raining hard enough to need the windshield wipers (not often enough out here I'm afraid), up goes the top.

Some new experience to share:

Used the Can today on a new Tesla HPWC vers 01-E and initially got a "faulty pilot signal" warning; after pushing the thumb circle/lever/ thingy (technical term!) on my Can the Roadster checked again and started charging normally.

IMG_2067 copy.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Where are you charging that offers so many HPWCs?
I'm curious where was that?

Location was UTC Mall just off I-75 at Sarasota-Lakewood Ranch. Until recently there were 4 HPWCs and 4 Clipper Creek J1772 on the east side of that mall (there's 4x double ChargePoints on the west side); anyway, the Clipper Creek units have been changed out with new Tesla HPWCs so there are 8 there now.

This location is close to home for me so I don't usually plug in there but I just figured I'd test out the new chargers.

Hi All, just quickly sharing a new experience -> first time using the newish (~14 mo old) destination charger at Peacock Inn in Princeton, NJ. The Can SR worked without issue for 16 kW charging while we had dinner.

Thanks again to Henry for bringing the Can SR into the world.:cool:

can sr at peacock inn.jpg

Sorry to revive an old(er) thread but, after searching, this is the closest thread I could find.

We have been using a RV plug (14-50) with our Roadster UMC for almost 7 years to charge our car but, we had been wanting to change that to something a little more permanent.
So, just a couple of weeks ago we were able to pick up a Tesla High Powered Wall Charger (HPWC) and I changed it over this last weekend.

We used the Step-by-Step Installation Instructions that comes with the HPWC and here’s how I did it:

Unbox the HPWC, remove the sealing cover and cover from the main housing:

1. TURN OFF BREAKER IN PANEL This is the first important step. Do not proceed unless this is done.
2. VERIFY the power was off with voltmeter. This is the second important step. Do not proceed unless this is done.

Check Voltage 3.jpg Check voltage 6.jpg

3. Remove the 14-50, disconnect the gland nut from the J-box, and remove the J-box from the wall.
4. Using the top entry bracket, secure the conduit and feed the wires in.
5. Connect the wires to the coresponding connector on the terminal block.

Top entry bracket wires connected.jpg

6. Our 14-50 had a Neutral which was not needed for the HPWC so we wire nutted and taped it out of the way.
7. Feed the pre-installed/connected service wires through the main housing.
8. Attach the main housing to the top entry bracket and connect the service wires to the main housing block. This was the most difficult part of the entire installation. The service wires are what looks like 3 awg so they are resistant to bending and connecting to the block. I had to look through the hole in the bottom of the main housing to get the wires into the block.

Service wires through main cover 3.jpg

9. Set the Operating Current with the Rotary switch (50 amp breaker so we set it to 8 for 40 amp).
10. Set the DIP Switch Position. There have been some reported issues with leaving DIP to ON (up position) so, we set ours to the “Legacy” position (down position).

Rotary and DIP 2.jpg

11. Verify all wiring connections are correct and tightened to specs in the Instructions.
12. Attach the ribbon cable from the main housing to the sealing cover and install it.
13. Turn on power and observe start up LEDs for any errors.
14. Plug in car using @hsharp’s CAN-SR and try charging.

HPWC charging.jpg Car charging.jpg

Convenience mostly. We have @hsharp's CAN-SR for our Roadster and are expecting a Model 3 later this year.

Ditto. I've used a UMC and CAN-SR to charge my Roadster for the past 3 years. The UMC is nicer and cheaper than J1772 chargers.

I think the new UMC will be even better and cheaper ($300). It will finally have a plug adapter for NEMA 6-20, which is what I use for the Roadster. I have NEMA 14-50 for the Model S, but didn't have enough service to add two 50 amp circuits in the load calculation. So, the Roadster charges at 240V 16A.

Reactions: Tedkidd
From earlier today, used CAN SR to charge at Americana Diner in East Windsor, NJ, which I don't recall trying before with the Roadster. They have two S/X/3 destination chargers, as well as a J1772 from Clipper Creek. VDS showed 196V 64A.

Imho the CAN SR remains the single most useful piece of charging hardware for the original Roadster, allowing us to participate in the Tesla's destination charger network which continues to grow. I remain grateful to have it.:cool:

20180708_172843.jpg

• Love
Reactions: arijaycomet