TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HPWC / UMC2 to Roadster adapter

Discussion in 'Roadster 2008-2012' started by richkae, Mar 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Vip

Vip Member

hcsharp, Can you please put me on the list. Let me know what other information you need.
    Thanks

2. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23(traded) 8136, RWD LR 3, P3D

I am so excited for this! We will start with 1 but I am sure that we will want another for our Arizona Roadster!

I CAN'T WAIT! :)

3. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I'm working my way through the reservation list. A few more are going out this week. Despite a mountain of testing, I'm going a little slow at first to make sure there are no problems.

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I'm in the 'can't wait but have to wait' category, too. Based on the product I've already gotten from Henry, I know it will be better than anything else out there. :)

5. AltPowr

AltPowr Member

I assume as you make your way through the list you will let us know when you are ready for payment? I'm ready to pay now. :)

6. bonnie

Every single Tesla service center and store should get one of these, so that they can accommodate Roadsters. (HPCs have gone missing at most.)

7. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Agree completely. This would almost eliminate the need for everyone to have his or her own adapter. The fact that they removed almost all the HPCs is quite annoying.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm trying to give 3 or 4 days notice. Thanks to everyone for patience.

8. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Where have all the HPCs gone? Does Tesla have a stockpile? Have they dismantled them to create J1772 adapters? If anyone knows, I'd buy a used one.

9. bonnie

Good question regarding what happened to the HPCs that Tesla had installed at diff stores. They do have a bank over at the Fremont Service Center, but not enough that would answer that question in full. I'll ask around and see what I can find out.

I bought one used and installed it in the garage, along with the NEMA 14-50 I've had since I purchased the Roadster. And I have my eye on a second Clipper Creek HPC which will provide both a third charging option for guests and also be repurposed for my X (with the Roadster-Model S adapter) when that day comes. I like the robustness of the Clipper Creek EVSE. I opened mine up when talking to the CC guys to answer some questions -- and it is really well made. Nothing crowded (obviously), tons of space inside, welds exceed standards, everything is top-notch. It really is a high-quality product in terms of manufacture.

10. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I've been wondering the same thing. I think a lot of them went to new service centers when they opened up.

11. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

It would have been easy for Tesla to have sold these to CPO Roadster owners, however, that was not the case. When we picked up my wife's Roadster in September of last year, they were running out of MC or UMC as well. CC had a sale on the Roadster speced EVSEs with J1772 heads that they were liquidating at the time.

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

It's more than that. I had a look at the circuit board a while back and they've got excellent transient protection on every input to the card. Definitely best-practice stuff... they could give lessons on circuit protection. The thing is built like a tank.

13. skadax

skadax Member

For what it's worth, I was promised a UMC when I purchased my CPO Roadster last year but they ran out, instead they offered to send me an HPC and of course I took them up on the offer. I can only imagine they did a similar thing for others?

Oh, and I would love to be on your list as well.

14. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

Has the new can been tested with Tesla's Model S/J1772 adapter? It would be cheaper and smaller than two cans if they could be stacked.

15. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Nope... They started selling the later ones with 110V only.

16. shrink

shrink Supporting Member

Hi Henry,

I just tried sending you a PM and got the following message:

The following errors occurred with your submission

• hcsharp has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Just an FYI. Please send me a quick message once you clear some space. Thanks!

17. bolosky

bolosky Member

Henry,

I couldn't send you a PM because you're over your limit. I'll mail you a check tomorrow. PM me when you're able to receive messages and I'll send you my address, or you can read it from the check when it arrives.

Thanks!

--Bill

18. bonnie

I did ask about where all the HPCs went & was told (as others here have said) that those HPCs will be mostly reinstalled at the stores/service centers that are replacing the ones shut down. I didn't get as clear of an answer regarding HPCs that disappeared from places like Santana Row. But it sounds like Tesla is keeping them, just redistributing.

19. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Sorry. I really wish TMC would give you some kind of warning before you can't receive messages anymore. And then you don't even find out until you read it in a public forum! I have to admit overall it's a pretty nice forum.

20. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

FYI: You can click on the person's profile name in the left corner then select "@ send email" to send the email directly to the user's personal email address (like yahoo/gmail) which bypasses the TMC mail and quota system.