Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC / UMC2 to Roadster adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status Update

I'm sorry to report that a few people are experiencing a problem when charging with the new adapter. The fault appears almost randomly. While most users have not been affected, a high percentage have. I have charged my own Roadster well over 100 times on multiple Model S HPWCs and UMCs without a single fault so it's been very difficult for me to get to the bottom of it.

As a result I've temporarily suspended shipments until I can resolve and correct the problem. I know many of you have been waiting patiently for a long time and I feel bad about this. I don't want to have a recall.

The good news is that I've caught the attention of some people at Tesla who sound like they want to help me (thanks to some on this board who are helping).

Thanks again for being patient.

Re: random faults: Do you just have to unplug everything and then plug everything back in to play the percentages here? I've run into that sort of issue at Superchargers where a few retries gets the thing working finally. No big deal, really, and no need to move car to new bay.
--

Re: random faults: Do you just have to unplug everything and then plug everything back in to play the percentages here? I've run into that sort of issue at Superchargers where a few retries gets the thing working finally. No big deal, really, and no need to move car to new bay.
--

There are some patterns emerging. Chargers of a certain serial number and earlier cause a fault for one reason with its own special solution, and chargers built more recently cause a fault for a different reason. It also depends on your version of Roadster.

If you have one of my faults-30%-of-the-time S to R adapters, you can often get it working by holding the latch ring away from you for a few seconds while unplugging the S connector and plugging it back in before releasing the latch ring. That's better than nothing but I won't ship any more like that. In any case I'm making progress on a solution.

Thanks Henry, nice detective work! I'm driving from Toronto to Manchester Vermont tomorrow, charging options are sparse between the two. The SR CAN will be a big help to open up the HPWC network for the next time I make the trip! The JR CAN has already come in handy on a number of road trips.

Thanks Henry, nice detective work! I'm driving from Toronto to Manchester Vermont tomorrow, charging options are sparse between the two. The SR CAN will be a big help to open up the HPWC network for the next time I make the trip! The JR CAN has already come in handy on a number of road trips.

That's a tough route to find 70A charging. Are going North through Kingston and then down to Albany? I'd be happy to loan you an S -> R adapter for your trip but I think it's too late to get it to you.

That's a tough route to find 70A charging. Are going North through Kingston and then down to Albany? I'd be happy to loan you an S -> R adapter for your trip but I think it's too late to get it to you.

Thanks for the offer, the route looks doable from Toronto - Niagara - Syracuse - Manchester with a pit stop in Sarasota if necessary. Syracuse is the high risk link, with only one 70A J1772 available.

As a naming recommendation, I like JR CAN for the J1772 to Roadster adapter and SR CAN for the S to Roadster. Junior and Senior.

Naming

Thanks for the offer, the route looks doable from Toronto - Niagara - Syracuse - Manchester with a pit stop in Sarasota if necessary. Syracuse is the high risk link, with only one 70A J1772 available.

As a naming recommendation, I like JR CAN for the J1772 to Roadster adapter and SR CAN for the S to Roadster. Junior and Senior.

Hmm, Maybe "New CAN" and "CAN Classic" like Coke! ;)

> . . with a pit stop in Sarasota if necessary. . [djp]

Always nice to have a wormhole transition into a parallel universe handy when needed!

> I like JR CAN for the J1772 to Roadster adapter and SR CAN for the S to Roadster. Junior and Senior.[djp]

Perfect names. Saves me having to pause and reflect upon the exact nature of Henry's new CAN.
--

Last edited:
Since the '400 mile pack' will need a reworking of firmware/software it would be opportune if TM brought the Roadster charging system fully up to date at that time. To take care of all incompatibilities that have emerged since inception.
--

How is the solution coming along? Just wondering!

Three distinct problems have been identified. More than I expected. I've developed solutions for 2 out of 3. The third issue is still evasive. Progress is being made however and I will solve it sooner or later. There were some revisions to the HPWCs and UMCs so that some work and some don't. The Roadster 1.5 PEM is also a little different from my 2.5 so it's hard for me to test those cars. I'll post updates here when there is news. I'm spending a lot of time on this.

So are we talking about different models of CAN II for 1.5 and 2.5?

Three distinct problems have been identified. More than I expected. I've developed solutions for 2 out of 3. The third issue is still evasive. Progress is being made however and I will solve it sooner or later. There were some revisions to the HPWCs and UMCs so that some work and some don't. The Roadster 1.5 PEM is also a little different from my 2.5 so it's hard for me to test those cars. I'll post updates here when there is news. I'm spending a lot of time on this.

So does this mean Roadsters like my 2.5 will require a different "CAN II" than a 1.5? Will there need to be differing models of CAN II?

Thanks,

T

Thanks Henry - appreciate the effort you're putting into this. So much for J1772 being a standard! I'm surprised Tesla can't even keep it consistent.

I can't take credit for all of it. I've had some help from some very smart people who asked not to be named publicly. And I owe some thanks to my beta testers who were probably hoping to get the benefit of not having to wait as long to get an adapter and instead have put in lots of time sending me detailed reports!

- - - Updated - - -

So does this mean Roadsters like my 2.5 will require a different "CAN II" than a 1.5? Will there need to be differing models of CAN II?

So far the solutions for each version have been compatible with the other version. That may not be the case with the final release. Cross your fingers.