Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC / UMC2 to Roadster adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plugged in and it started charging, yellow light blinking for a couple of seconds then went red - went back to blue blinking and then yellow blinking and charged for several minutes.

That's the behavior when the HPWC cable is starting to get worn out. I'm willing to bet it does the same thing sometimes when charging a Model S. You might not notice because the MS recovers and re-starts much faster than the Roadster.

I received my MS -> Roadster adapter Monday. First I have to say that Henry's products look and feel like they were produced by NASA. They are the most beautifully built products you can buy anywhere.
I have not been to a HPWC yet, but tested mine by plugging my Model S UMC (from a Nema 14-50) into the adapter and charging my roadster. It worked perfectly at any amperage up to 40.

Thank you Henry for your amazing work, which truly is as good or better than Tesla would have offered.
michael

I tested my adapter at the Torrance service center and got the same error message using both of their HPC's. Is there "reset" I could have performed?
At Henry's request I went to the Torrance SC and charged without a problem. I have been testing different versions of Henry's adapters for the past 6 months or more, here in SoCal and in the Chicago area. I have both a Roadster 2.0 and a 1.5. I have not had a problem charging the 1.5 at several different Tesla SC's in the LA area. The 2.0 Roadster will occasionally fault upon reaching a full charge, or if initiating a charge when the ideal range is greater than 100 miles.
In summary my 1.5 has had 100% success, while the 2.0 is 98% successful.
Tesla 940, one of the ways of resetting a charging session is to close the charge port door for a few seconds and re-opening.

Sam, are you testing the same can on the same charger with both the 1.5 and 2.0? Thanks.
The Roadster 2.0 is in Michigan. I brought the CAN with me to LA and used it on the 1.5 without the problems I experienced with the 2.0. This can is Henry's previous version, not his latest. I have not tried the latest version on the 2.0.
I will not be able to test the latest version CAN with the 2.0 until spring, unless there is a heatwave in the Midwest that draws me back. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Sam, are you testing the same can on the same charger with both the 1.5 and 2.0? Thanks.

To clarify my last post. I have 2 CAN's the latest that we are calling CAN V2.1 and the previous CAN version 2.0. I have used both CAN's on the Roadster 1.5 without a problem, at varios HPWC's and UMC's at all amperages. Too many confusing numbers. HA

Henry, what do you think of Roadster owners getting the small Model S J-1772 adapter mated to your new Model S adapter? With space being such a premium in the Roadster I was wondering if that would be better than needing to carry both adapters in the car? Thoughts anyone?

At Henry's request I went to the Torrance SC and charged without a problem. I have been testing different versions of Henry's adapters for the past 6 months or more, ...

We owe a lot of thanks to a handful of people who did a lot of testing for me at no charge. SamCarney gave a lot of his time sending me detailed reports from the field. He has a lot of experience with product development and testing and was very generous with his time. Another tester (don't have permission to give his name but doubt he'd mind) very generously sent me his UMC for testing because I was having a hard time finding any that failed where I live. He's gone months without his UMC just to help me out. Bonnie was also instrumental getting me connected with another source of help, and sent some very useful vids of her testing. Thanks to Richkae for getting this thread started and prodding me along as well as some testing that he did. Smorgasbord drove around to a lot of HPWCs. I'm sure I'm forgetting some others... And thanks to all of you for your enthusiasm and forgiving me for taking much longer than expected.

Last edited:
We owe a lot of thanks to a handful of people who did a lot of testing for me at no charge. SamCarney gave a lot of his time sending me detailed reports from the field. He has a lot of experience with product development and testing and was very generous with his time. Another tester (don't have permission to give his name but doubt he'd mind) very generously sent me his UMC for testing because I was having a hard time finding any that failed where I live. He's gone months without his UMC just to help me out. Bonnie was also instrumental getting me connected with another source of help, and sent some very useful vids of her testing. Thanks to Richkae for getting this thread started and prodding me along as well as some testing that he did. Smorgasbord drove around to a lot of HPWCs. I'm sure I'm forgetting some others... And thanks to all of you for your enthusiasm and forgiving me for taking much longer than expected.

My Roadster hero - Henry. You've treated this project like we are all family. Happy Thanksgiving and I hope the UMC unlocks the mysteries for you. The latest adapter seems to be simply outstanding.

From this end I can say it's been not only a privilege to have been involved in a very small way, but totally fun to pull up and see the look on Tesla employees' faces when I start charging my Roadster off an HPWC. "Wait! What? Whaaaaat IS that??" :) Priceless experience for me, Henry. Can't thank you enough!

Great work, Henry! Please add me to your list; I'm also in for funding development. Just curious on the incompatible HPWCs. If *someone* were to open them up and switch the dip switches to the 70A position, would that fix the problem?

Great work, Henry! Please add me to your list; I'm also in for funding development. Just curious on the incompatible HPWCs. If *someone* were to open them up and switch the dip switches to the 70A position, would that fix the problem?

I think the new firmware for the Roadster also fixes this. So one should not need to fool with the dip switches. I hope to find out as soon as Henry lets me buy one. :)

My adaptor arrived today.

Much like the J1772 Can, this is beautifully made - many thanks, Henry!

I immediately went to the Rockville, MD Service Center to test, and got a lot of surprised looks from the staff. It worked flawlessly.

From this end I can say it's been not only a privilege to have been involved in a very small way, but totally fun to pull up and see the look on Tesla employees' faces when I start charging my Roadster off an HPWC. "Wait! What? Whaaaaat IS that??" :) Priceless experience for me, Henry. Can't thank you enough!

LOL. I'd +rep you for that, but you have too many bars already.

I think that would work - I'll try that next time. There are HPWC and J1772 chargers at Santa Row.

Henry, what do you think of Roadster owners getting the small Model S J-1772 adapter mated to your new Model S adapter? With space being such a premium in the Roadster I was wondering if that would be better than needing to carry both adapters in the car? Thoughts anyone?