Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC vs Clipper Creek CS-100?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably going to go with dual onboard chargers unbundled from the HPWC, given its no more expensive to purchase the HPWC later. Any opinions on going with HPWC vs Clipper Creek CS-100 since they appear to be similarly priced?

HPWC will open the charge port door wirelessly, and you don't have to futz with the J1772 adapter, so it will be more convienent for daily use.

The CS-100 can be used with any EV, as well as your Model S. Handy for friends, or if you list your home on PlugShare for others to use.

GSP

GSP is correct. One additional minor point, HPWC is easily adjustable via a DIP switch for different circuit breaker sizes (which could come in handy if you move, or your panel can't support a 100A additional load), and also with a 100A breaker, can charge the Model S at 80A. The Clipper Creek CS-100 maxes out at 75A, even with a 100A circuit, as 75A is the maximum J-1772 handle available that's UL certified. Myself, I built a 75A J-1772 OpenEVSE, but that's not for everyone. :)

Probably going to go with dual onboard chargers unbundled from the HPWC, given its no more expensive to purchase the HPWC later. Any opinions on going with HPWC vs Clipper Creek CS-100 since they appear to be similarly priced?

Where do you see they're similarly priced? HPWC is $1200. CS-100 is $2195 on the Clipper Creek website.
As others have said, why complicate things with a J1772 when Tesla makes an elegant solution that's more convenient?

CS-100 is more expensive than the HPWC. Clipper Creek's web site shows it as over $2,000. This makes the HPWC a no-brainer. A CS-100 would be useless to any car other than Model S because no other EV out there can charge higher than 30A-40A using an AC charger. If you want to be able to charge other non-Tesla EVs, get yourself an HPWC for your Model S and a NEMA 14-50 for everyone else.

CS-100 is more expensive than the HPWC. Clipper Creek's web site shows it as over $2,000. This makes the HPWC a no-brainer. A CS-100 would be useless to any car other than Model S because no other EV out there can charge higher than 30A-40A using an AC charger. If you want to be able to charge other non-Tesla EVs, get yourself an HPWC for your Model S and a NEMA 14-50 for everyone else.
Not following ... how does any other EV plug into a 14-50?

I think he's presuming various mobile connectors/adapters. FWIW, the J1772 is the closest thing to universal.

To the OP, personally, I went with the HPWC. As others have said, it's the most elegant and solves your specific problem perfectly. Why saddle yourself with having to use the J1772 adapter EVERY day? I put an HPWC in and have never once thought - hmmm, maybe I should have done something else.

Thanks for the replies. My main application/concern is proprietary vs universal. I already have an AreoEnvironent EVSE that I would be swapping out & upgrading the wiring to support higher current charging.

Realistically, think even if I went with a "standard" today, by the time I'm ready for my next BEV J1772 may be ancient history, so might as well go with the solution that fits the car. If we somehow end up with a second car that's J1772 in the meantime I guess I could always re-install the AreoEnviroent as well.

Thanks for the replies. My main application/concern is proprietary vs universal. I already have an AreoEnvironent EVSE that I would be swapping out & upgrading the wiring to support higher current charging.

Realistically, think even if I went with a "standard" today, by the time I'm ready for my next BEV J1772 may be ancient history, so might as well go with the solution that fits the car. If we somehow end up with a second car that's J1772 in the meantime I guess I could always re-install the AreoEnviroent as well.
Why not leave the AV station as-is and install a new circuit for the HPWC? Adding the new circuit will probably cost only slightly more than upgrading. The main consideration is breaker capacity in your panel.

I added a 125 A sub panel in the garage with a 14/50 for the UMC and a line out to the corner of the property for a dual amp CS-100 as part of the Sun Country charging network, which is now on plugshare. the dual amp cs 100 does go to 80A, and I've seen as high as 63 mph of added rated range, but I'm not sure if it's commercially available from clipper creek yet. at the time the HPWC was having reliability issues. the way it's set up now, I charge the S in the garage most of the time and the Leaf from the CS 100. whenever I need a faster charge for the S, I just pull it up the driveway to the cs-100. The CS-100 can charge every EV on the market up to the fastest L2 rate, 20 kWh. this configuration is all about paying it forward and future proofing for me, if either or both of my future cars are something other than a Tesla, then I will be able to charge them without further modification and non-Tesla friends can charge up while visiting. I've had 4 EV's already and know that times change, leases end and I want to keep my options open. Personally, I think the entire auto industry should adopt Tesla's standard and scrap J1772, CHAdeMO and the auto industries attempt at stalling the EV roll out, AKA the cambo plug, but until then, it's easy enough to pop the J1772 adapter on for the occasions that I need a full speed L2 charge. attached are photos of the "station", including a grape arbor, organic blue berries surrounding a bench to pass the time reading a book while waiting for the car to charge. I've traveled into metro areas with the S and know what a PITA it can be to find HAL2 stations for destination charging that can give a meaningful charge in a relatively short period of time to cover driving over a weekend. Now, when folks travel from far away or otherwise get in a pinch, there is a convenient place to come, conveniently located near the highway.
photo-19.JPG
photo-17.JPG

> A CS-100 would be useless [AmpedRealtor]

It can charge any j1772 car at whatever Amps they request up to its own limitations, no?
--

The CS-100 is an 80A charger, no other EV other than Tesla Model S can accept a charge greater than about 30A-40A. It's cheaper to get an HPWC for your Model S (high amperage) and a more basic outlet for everyone else. If the additional capacity of a CS-100 is not going to be used by anything other than a Model S, it doesn't make sense to spend over $2,000 for something that you can get for less. The primary purpose of that high amperage is to charge your Model S.

I presumed other vehicles come with adapters. Nissan and Chevy don't include something as basic as a NEMA 14-50 adapter with their cars? I guess Tesla has spoiled me.

The CS-100 is an 80A charger, no other EV other than Tesla Model S can accept a charge greater than about 30A-40A. It's cheaper to get an HPWC for your Model S (high amperage) and a more basic outlet for everyone else. If the additional capacity of a CS-100 is not going to be used by anything other than a Model S, it doesn't make sense to spend over $2,000 for something that you can get for less. The primary purpose of that high amperage is to charge your Model S.

Excuse me for being a little pedantic, but there is another vehicle besides the Tesla Model S that can accept more than 30A-40A. It is the Tesla Roadster, which can accept 70A. There is a J1772 adapter for a Roadster, but not a MS power connector adapter for the Roadster. (However, there is an adapter for an MS to charge from a Roadster HPC...) Also, there may be future EV's that can use higher amperage J1772's.

For personal use, primarily charging an MS, I agree that the HPWC is probably the best, cost-effective choice, but for public installations where you would like to provide charging to the widest population of EV models and the highest charge rate that some can accept, an 80A J1772 (100A breaker) is the best, most-universal choice. Sun Country Highway is a good example of doing this well.