Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC vs Corded Mobile Connector vs Gen 2 Mobile Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same questions and am still do not understand. I am sorry for my ignorance. I am purchasing a Model Y. Will have 14-50 plug at house for the Mobile Connector or HPWC and comes with the car, would also like a connector to carry with me and that is where I am confused.

So here are the options:

HPWC and carry charger that comes with car with me - $500 + install
Use charger that came with car and purchase Gen 2 Mobile Bundle to carry with me - $270

Is that correct. I have a supercharger within 10 miles of house.

I have the same questions and am still do not understand. I am sorry for my ignorance. I am purchasing a Model Y. Will have 14-50 plug at house for the Mobile Connector or HPWC and comes with the car, would also like a connector to carry with me and that is where I am confused.

So here are the options:

Use charger that came with car and purchase Gen 2 Mobile Bundle to carry with me - $270

I don't see any need to always have a cord in the car, so I can recommend just using the cord that's included.

But you said you don't want to do that, so if someone is going to buy something else anyway, I generally just recommend a wall connector then instead of a second mobile charging cord.

So here are the options:

New cars don't come with the 14-50 adapter for the included Gen 2 Mobile Connector. So, you have to buy that for $35 if you want to be able to plug in to that type of outlet.

A Gen 2 Mobile Connector delivers 32A max to the car with the 14-50 adapter.
A Corded Mobile Connector delivers 40A max to the car and has a fixed 14-50 plug.

It is interesting to come across past threads like this and see the same confusion and misunderstanding that new Tesla owners are probably experiencing now (in 2023). Here is a comparison of Tesla mobile connectors that may help those new to charging a Tesla with portable AC equipment. For additional comparative info about Tesla wall connectors, see this thread.

I think Tesla may have killed off the Corded Mobile Connector (the one with the hardwired 14-50 plug). It has gone from a long standing status of "out of stock" to 404.