Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC vs spare mobile connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about long term durability? It's much more heavy duty than the UMC and I've read repeated stories of failed UMC's. They do seem too "lightweight" for years of use but great for portable use.

This.

I prefer hard wired connections for high-curent permanent installations. Between that, the longer cable, not having to add extra arts to secure it, etc... I recommend the HPWC.

When I ordered my car I didn't even go dual chargers because I wasn't planning on a HPWC. At the time I was debating ordering a 2nd UMC, just to have a dedicated "home" charger and have some level of backup if something were to happen to my UMC while charging in the wild.

However, with the price drop to the HPWC last month I figured I might as well go with that. And now I'll have to look into upgrading to dual chargers sometime in the future :)

Quite a few have been sold on eBay recently, all from Canada. I count 10 in the last week. Shipping looks like about $50 to $70 to the US, which sound about right. I just picked one up, could not resist for the price. Will provide a nice permanent way to charge. Will use the UMC as a backup stored in the car for trips.

Why are so many new HPWC's on ebay? I saw one with a $70 for shipping.

I'm guessing that once the price fell to $750US it made it worth buying them for certain "entrepreneurs" considering the amount of some Province's rebates for home charging stations. So people are buying them, submitting the receipt for the rebate, then selling them on ebay.

tsk.gif

Last edited:
I'm guessing that once the price fell to $750US it made it worth buying them for certain "entrepreneurs" considering the amount of some Province's rebates for home charging stations. So people are buying them, submitting the receipt for the rebate, then selling them on ebay.

I'm guessing you are correct, and judging from the number of units some of the Canadian sellers have listed/sold, it looks like they have their friends, neighbors and cousins all buying the $750 HPWC's, submitting the provincial rebate, then getting whatever they can for them on eBay. I bought one, just installed it last week, works perfectly and was factory sealed.

I would reconsider the decision of not getting the Dual Chargers, in the winter time you will appreciate it a lot and there will be those cases where you would need a faster charge than 29 miles per hour in good weather and ~20 during cold days.
This will be my first winter and I don't regret getting the HWPC, charge rate dropped from 66 miles per hour down to 55-56 miles per hour, just from the cold temperature outside and it's not even winter yet.

I would prefer getting HWPC over UMC, longer cable, future proofs you if you decide to get the Dual chargers and or upgrade your car in the future.

I haven't noticed charge rate declining in winter, but I have perhaps seen it when pre-heating the cabin and-or batteries, but that would not be for a prolonged period. Is that what you are referring to, or is there a longer lasting effect?

I decided to buy a sturdy, mobile charger that can go up to 32amps, 400v. It's larger than the UMC (about 4 times the size, weight) and it has a very solid build, stays completely cold to the touch even when charging at 16amps, 400v (the max my home can do). I am using it as my fixed home charging solution knowing that I can take it with me on a road trip if I want to charge at 32amps chargers. For everyday use, I leave the UMC in the trunk. This model is also fully water proof. I am however not sure there is an equivalent for the US market.

image.jpg

From: http://www.e-driver.net/english-mobile-chargebox-juice-booster-1/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 206