Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Warranty when bought with the car

malou

Apr 17, 2019
Montréal
I've been told if you order the HPWC when you have your VIN, you get 4 years warranty on the HPWC compared to 1 year otherwise. Is this still true? Does the VIN can get attached to the HPWC later ? Would you wait for the VIN so you get the extra warranty (is it worth it) ?

With current delays on the online store shipping (and fast car deliveries), I don't want to end up having the car and no way to charge it (or use slower speed as I don't have NEMA plug already) for 2-3 weeks. Plus with summer vacations here (vacances de la construction), my electrician might not be able to install anything during the last two weeks of July, so I'm tempted to buy now while I wait for new colors options...

BrokerDon

Aug 23, 2014
Newport Coast, CA
Our 1st generation Tesla HPWC was ordered on the same invoice as our 2015 P85D which should have entitled it to the 4 year warranty expiring at the end of this month. It's still working great recharging nightly at 60A, even though it's on a 100A circuit breaker and set for 80A maximum charge rate. Our HPWC plug gets very warm at 80A so we charge at 60A to prolong it's life.

I found a brand new still in the box 2nd generation Signature Edition Tesla Wall Connector on Craigslist for $375 in March from a Tesla Rewards Program recipient. If you can find a comparable deal, save the ~ $150 ($500 + tax vs. $375) AND get the IMHO much better looking flat black Elon Musk signed Signature Edition.

0imGmW8iRhixSHQNv2kbTg_thumb_5544.jpg

BrokerDon

Aug 23, 2014
Newport Coast, CA
What about assigning for VIN to the order? Looks like the option might be there in the store when checkout out the cart ?
View attachment 425808

That MIGHT assign it to your Tesla order... or just associate it with your Tesla VIN.

Either way I'm doubtful you'd get 4 years of warranty coverage like 4 years ago...

Only way to find out for sure is to carefully review Tesla's vehicle warranty document word for word and see if it includes "accessories ordered concurrent with your Tesla vehicle order". I doubt it but worth a look.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC