Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC | what is the expected charge rate when at home.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks Trav... Why then am I only charging at half your rate? I can't change the Amp's up in the car at all? I am meant to have dual chargers installed in the car as well... Any ideas?

Dual chargers don't add anything with your 40A single phase HPWC. 40A x 240v = 9.6kW which is less than the capacity of a single charger, you need to wait for the 3 phase HPWC or install a 3rd party solution to charge more that 11kW at home. If the car isn't letting you adjust the amps above 16A, then I would guess that the dip switches in your HPWC have been set to limit current to 16A.

Dual chargers don't add anything with your 40A single phase HPWC. 40A x 240v = 9.6kW which is less than the capacity of a single charger, you need to wait for the 3 phase HPWC or install a 3rd party solution to charge more that 11kW at home. If the car isn't letting you adjust the amps above 16A, then I would guess that the dip switches in your HPWC have been set to limit current to 16A.

Yeah, my theory is similar... Asking Tim and Jay that very question about the install. I do have a third party e-station mobile charger as well. But need to check if there is a limitation with the power on the house. I know (or believe) I have 53A, 3 phase, not quite 60 from memory. But yes a 3-phase wall mount will be the best option when it comes for my home.

Cheers and thanks.

Chris

I am not really sure why my rate is faster? I have dual chargers and three phase but as far as I am aware it should not make any difference with the single phase HPWC. I have almost finished a charge so the below has dropped a bit.

image.jpg

On 16 amps, I get 4 kW/ hour.on 10 amps with the UMC I get 2 kW per hour. Dual chargers which as the others have said will make no difference under 40 amps from the wall connector There are obvious significant losses since 10 amps theoretically should give 2.4 kW.

One thing that makes a reasonable difference is voltage. Whilst there is a theoretical voltage the grid is at this varies depending upon demand and the proximity of the transformer to your property. If the transformer is right outside your house you might be up at 245V whereas if you are at the end of a long line you might be down to say 225V. That is approximately a 10% drop in voltage which will result in a 10% difference in charging rate.

Dip switches are likely to be set at 16A if that is the maximum the car will let you draw. That setting is normally lower than the rating of the circuit breaker you are connected to. Therefore if the HPWC is connected to a circuit breaker rated at 20A then the dip switches are probably correctly set and that is the best you can do for now unless that circuit breaker can be upgraded.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody.

I think it has been set at 20A as everybody mentioned and 16A draw for the car. I believe it was also set this way so that when 3-phase HPWC comes along, I'll be able to get more 16A 3 phase, or 50 km/hr.
16A 3 phase is the max from the single charger. With the dual charger you can go higher, up to 32A per phase (22kW). Sounds like your electrician has determined that 20A is the limit of what he can install based on other stuff you have connected at home. Check with the electrician if you could put in higher rated breakers on that circuit to make use of your dual chargers.

Lex.

I now see from the manual that the UMC will only draw 8 amps from a 10 amp socket. That explains the 2 kW not 2.4.

That makes sense - seeing as they insist on 32A on a 40 breaker etc.

- - - Updated - - -

In WA a "standard supply" is either 63A single phase or 32A 3 phase, so wouldn't really help with the single phase wall connector.

32A is more than enough to recharge overnight anyway.

Absolutely. Even though I have dual chargers I done think I'll be changing the charger to 3 phase when I get it. At 7.6 kW a full range charge is just over 10 or 11 hours - which I never do. Charging off peak from 11pm still gives 8 hours if I had to leave at 7am, so from a completely empty car I'd have 60kWh or 300km range.

On the charging screen in the car there is a slider to set the amperage limit. I have seen the pictures with it at 32 amps. What are the other options. Hopefully something different to the dip switch settings which have a gap between 40 and 20 amps.

The charging rate is set by up and down arrows and changes in 1A increments.

The slider is to set what percentage you want the battery to charge to.

I get 40A from my HPWC at home. It's on a 50A circuit. I have a single-phase connection from the street with an 80A maximum (which is a bit more than the norm I know).

It's pretty rare that I charge at 40A though. I usually just leave things between 10A and 15A and try to charge when the sun is shining to keep my car as solar-powered as possible (I guesstimate I manage ~50% solar. More in summer, less in winter). Charging at 40A means I have to start thinking about what else is turned on in the house so slower charging reduces a source of anxiety. It's nice to know it's there for when I might need it (not often).