Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC will not latch into charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having trouble with my HPWC/Dual charging 2013 Model S. We've had a cold snap but I'm not sure if that's related (under 32 deg F). I don't ever use anything but the HPWC--if the issue is cold related it would have to be with the onboard inverters or the HPWC nozzle (warning: I am bad with the terminology ;))

Usually after like 10 tries/jiggles it will latch and then charge. I have the issue even after a 45 min commute home so it's likely not the teslas's battery temp.

So far it's been resolveable when I notice it and keep trying to get a connection but this is gonna get old really fast :)

My car had this problem for one year before the car port was recently replaced. I thought it was the HPWC until the car port was finally noted to have a crack and replaced. It now works normally again.

Until it was fixed I would need to torque the handle to get a green light. First I would push in, then jiggle, push in harder, then place continuous traction (using the cord looping with just its weight) downward. Over the course of a year this became harder to do. My car is a Signature so I accepted this thinking my HPWC handle was to blame. It is so nice to be able to quickly plug in again. They saw no faults when I reported it earlier and I was expecting to one day replace the handle. This was not replaced and works perfectly again.

I've had this same problem with my 2013 S albeit with my UMC as well as several Supercharger cables. I had my warranty service back in December and Tesla replaced both my charge port and my UMC - the problem is worse than ever now. It's definitely much more prevalent as it gets colder, we've had a cold snap recently (-30°C) and my car essentially refuses to connect which is kinda scary.

i have a p100d and new wall charger. similar issue.
it will slow charge and say it's not fully in. I can't even push it in, I have to remove it and get a 'running start' smashing it into the car. only then will it work and charge at 48amps.
In my car (not a P100D) there are two clicks before it's fully seated. I push in moderately slow (pushing fast makes them sound as if there is only one click).

I had the charger will not latch error and after multiple visual inspections and trying different advice from the forums I blew hard into the car's port and a little piece of plastic came out. That piece was preventing the charger from being fully inserted.

Turns out it was a very small piece broken off my J1772 adapter. Some of these public charging stations have heavy and/or "clunky" handles and I think that trying to get them to fit caused the adapter piece to break off.