Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC wiring question: switch between off-peak and retail power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is probably a question for any sparkies out there.

When I was getting my WC installed, I asked whether I could have a contactor that switched it over to off-peak power when off-peak was running, but left it on the retail meter when it was not. I was told that was illegal, and the only way to do that would be to have two separate WC's. No switching between the circuits. (this is in Qld, in case states vary)

Now I'm not sure why that should be so - it's not like I'm stealing power, or trying to run other things on off-peak. Can anyone enlighten me?

(reason for asking, is that for the second time in the year, the off-peak didn't come on last night, and the car didn't get any charge!)

Find a dodgier sparkie ;)

I’d say the solution is to fix the root cause, i.e. whatever is causing the off-peak to not work some nights – might want to lodge a fault with your retailer.

I use a time-of-use tariff which has all the benefits of off-peak, but no separate outlets/meter/circuits – all household usage at off-peak time (9pm-7am, or 10pm-8am during daylight savings) is at the off-peak rate. This depends entirely on your retailer and plans available of course.

W
This is probably a question for any sparkies out there.

When I was getting my WC installed, I asked whether I could have a contactor that switched it over to off-peak power when off-peak was running, but left it on the retail meter when it was not. I was told that was illegal, and the only way to do that would be to have two separate WC's. No switching between the circuits. (this is in Qld, in case states vary)

Now I'm not sure why that should be so - it's not like I'm stealing power, or trying to run other things on off-peak. Can anyone enlighten me?

(reason for asking, is that for the second time in the year, the off-peak didn't come on last night, and the car didn't get any charge!)
we dont get peak and off peak in SA once you have solar. Its just one massive flat rate 24/7.....less the free solar.

Just using the meters that existed in my house, as it's expensive to switch to new ones for TOU or whatever. There are two meters, one for Tariff 11 (retail) the other for tariff 31 (off-peak, enabled for 8 hours/day). The off-peak meter wan't being used any more for hot water, as I had solar put in years ago, so it was a natch for the HPWC. But just occasionally, it might be nice to have the option run the HPWC on retail.

Is AGL still offering their $1/day charging plan?
I don't believe so. I enquired about it specifically recently and while they didn't say that they no longer had it, they weren't signing new customers up to it. I had a sparky in last week and they pretty much said the old customers are getting to keep it (for now) but it is no longer offered for new installs (they are an authorised Tesla installer).

As far as I know, off peak has certain designated usages, mainly water heating.

You get switch your plan to time-of-use, which would give you a cheap period overnight (usually 10pm to 7am-ish). You could schedule the car to start charging at 10:30.
Of course, if you use lots of power at times that time-of-use deems 'peak' then it might be more expensive to switch.

Yeah I considered using tariff 33 (the one that's on for 18 hours+) but (a) I already had an unused meter for the cheaper one, and (b) the saving over retail was nowhere near as great. As things stand I get 8 hours of charge which gives me 160-170km of range, easily covering most days of use.