Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RMG007

Secret Member
Mar 8, 2015
San Diego
I have a Gen 1 HPWC on a 100 amp circuit. I can charge Model S P85D with dual chargers at 80 amps and Model 3 at 48 amps. However, I get the red ring and it won’t charge 2021 Model X LR. Reviewing previous threads, it appears this is a known issue and solution is to change dip switches in HPWC to lower amperage to make it work.

My question is, in order to charge Model 3 and Model X at 48 amps, what breaker amp should dip switches be set? (Relevant options are 40A, 50, 60, or 70A breaker)

Thanks

Answering my own question after experimentation, for others that may face this issue. 60A setting would only allow Model 3 to charge at 12A. The 80A setting allows Model 3 AND Model X charging works, both at 48A.

An even better solution is to open a ticket with your service center, and get it changed to Ver2. The Version 1 HPWC will not charge newer Model X. Tesla will swap your Ver1 for a Ver2 for free (warranty swap). Although Tesla will not cover any installation charge.. It was a 30 minute DIY for me.

Last edited: