Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hub Cab Cracking Sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard this while I was at a service appointment from a Y that was cruising by very slowly. I'm sure if you remove the caps it will go away. The wheels are nicer than the caps anyway. Or, I am selling the factory 21's mine came with.

After the Homelink installation, as the technician was moving the vehicle, we all noticed the crackling sound from what appears to be from the hub cabs. Anyone experience this sound with the hub cabs? Link to video below:

Imgur
My Model Y wheel covers made the same crackling sound (or worse). I applied a very light coating of “Door Ease” wax type lubricant on all of the contact surfaces clip hooks, center hub tabs, and around entire wheel lip. Sound is gone.
The lube is kind of like “chapstick” for cars. Won’t herm paint! Don’t over do it, but it works.

• Helpful
Reactions: house9
My Model Y wheel covers made the same crackling sound (or worse). I applied a very light coating of “Door Ease” wax type lubricant on all of the contact surfaces clip hooks, center hub tabs, and around entire wheel lip. Sound is gone.
The lube is kind of like “chapstick” for cars. Won’t herm paint! Don’t over do it, but it works.

I have a mobile service coming this Thursday for alignment and other issues, they will also look into the hub cap rattle. If they can't fix it, I'll try the door ease.

I have a mobile service coming this Thursday for alignment and other issues, they will also look into the hub cap rattle. If they can't fix it, I'll try the door ease.
I had noticed a similar, minor noise in the five days I’ve had my Model 3. Mobile service came by for another issue and the tech pointed it out as soon as I backed it from the garage. He said it was a quality control issue that should have been caught and said there is a quick fix. He pulled all four hubcaps off and pointed out several small plastic points on each one that simply needed trimming. It took him 10-15 minutes to do it and the sound is gone.