Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hub Centric Rings Suck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this to keep things taut?

Having section width be slightly less or at most equal to rim width means that you have better control over the contact patch at the limit. In autocross you even see people stretching tires . . .in other words the section width is slightly less than the rim width. This gives you maximum control over the contact patch at heavy lateral loads, and can significantly lessen tire roll over. If you go too far however it also means the tire can spontaneously under impact unmount itself so to speak from rim at the bead Edge. Very bad obviously

Unless you are the only person who drives the car, and a 10/10 parallel parker, it just isn't worth the risk of curb damage.

I'm only 9.5 parallel parker out of 10 but I sure do like the look of a 275 / 30 on a 10.5 inch rim.
20200108_113423.jpg

Just a quick rant. I hate my hub rings, the plastic ones at least. I got a set to make it easier to put my aftermarket wheels on. They worked great going on, but getting them off is terrible. The felt melted on and I had to chisel them off, rendering them unusable. This can't be right. Maybe the plastic ones are just designed for one-time use. Does anyone have experience with the metal ones? I would hope they would be better. Or is it just better to go without?

View attachment 455985

i had the same experience with the plastic rings for the wheels on my old race car. I had to chisle them off the hub. After that I raced the car without them. You just need to be careful how you tighten the lug nuts on the studs. Use a crossing pattern, tighten by hand and then torque them to specs. Never had a problem with that approach.

No. Studs are the same length as on the non-P so there is 4-5mm “margin.” (There is 4-5mm more stud exposed by the much thinner rotor hat.). By adding a 3mm spacer you’re making it about the same as the non-P essentially - you’ll actually still have perhaps 1-2mm more stud length than a non-P even after adding the 3mm.

The ring can’t add any offset. That would be catastrophic. That’s why the spacer has to be added if you want to use hub-centric rings for P3D+ (unless it is some special custom ring I suppose?). Once the spacer is in place all will be well since it is a standard situation of matching the hub bore to the wheel bore (assuming the right ring of course).

Correct me if I am wrong, but I will need spacers with the hub centering rings on my 3P. I cannot run the hub centering rings w/o a spacer. I have to run both.