TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Hubris"...how true

Discussion in 'Model X' started by MiddKid, Apr 4, 2016.

1. MiddKid

MiddKid Member

I've documented here before why I cancelled my MX reservation and I have to say I've been incredibly pleased by that decision. Today Tesla released a press release that blamed production issues on: "Tesla's hubris in adding far too much new technology to the Model X in version 1, insufficient supplier capability validation, and Tesla not having broad enough internal capability to manufacture the parts in-house."
    Tesla Delivers 14,820 Vehicles in Q1 2016; On Track for Full-Year Delivery Guidance (NASDAQ:TSLA)

It's funny..the use of that word hubris is spot on. After walking away from my Meet X test drive I found myself saying they tried too hard. FaWDs that didn't shut. Seats that were broken. I couldn't put my finger on it at the moment, but now the perfect word is hubris. Thanks Tesla.

I was driving my MS the other day and was thinking about what got me to spend 3x more on that car than any other car I had ever purchased. One HUGE reason was the additional UTILITY that the MS gave me. A frunk and a trunk. Fold-flat second row seats. Built in roof-rack mounts. Rear facing 5-point child seats. There was no other sedan that gave me that kind of utility. It's why I traded in an SUV for a sedan. It worked.

But with the X, Tesla forgot the UTILITY. Frustrating.

I'm still in wait/see mode and my Resale Value Guarantee comes up on my MS next March. 11 months to move that hubris to the side and give me a SUV I'd feel confident buying. Fingers crossed.

• Like x 8
  2. Vitold

Vitold Member

Now we have a proof that corporations are people.

3. grommet

grommet Member

It really looks like with the Model 3, Tesla is paying more attention. Great headroom in 2nd row (unlike Model S, and the center of the 2nd row on the Model X), folding seats and a trunk that will allow a 7' surfboard to fit (unlike the Model X), available hitch mount (unlike the Model S), etc.

I don't think we'll see any notable changes/improvements to the Model X anytime soon, especially since they still have a backlog of orders.

• Dislike x 1
  4. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Clearly someone hacked the site to insert hubris and some of the other language.

• Funny x 1
  5. ankitmishra

ankitmishra Member

Model X is a great car. Tesla just needs to be humble till it sorts out the problems with the new features. I believe, the true nature of the accomplishment by Tesla will be visible then. I don't think nonfolding seats are going to be any issue then. This car has added much more in exchange. Tesla is alone in a world where car makers have been making same cars over and over again and people dont know that things could be much better.

• Like x 1
  6. daddykess

daddykess Member

Validation is always good. For me, the tech is awesome, I love the car, and it meets my needs. You get all the Tesla benefits already so you can get an SUV that's more useful to you elsewhere.

• Like x 1
  7. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

As I stated in another thread, I think we probably got Version 3 first up. But I would like them to provide the folding second row seats ASAP as an option.

8. pvogel

pvogel Member

Have you seen how the trunk opens? Sure, it'll fit a surfboard, but no way anything with some height will fit! Crazy. Much more compromised from a cargo perspective than the model X!

9. aesculus

And that's saying something. :)

• Funny x 2
  10. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

@MiddKid, I got my X today and while I'm reserving full judgement until after some time with the vehicle, I'll say that some of these "tweaks" actually make it a nice purchase compared to my Model S. If it were just a puffed up S, it would be a fantastic vehicle, but I wouldn't feel like it was something new. Having that windshield and the bucket seats in back (and to a much lesser extent, the falcon wing doors) makes it definitely feel like I bought something different, and that's always a valuable feeling when you make a purchase.

Can't speak to the quality issues yet as it's much too early. But if it pans out, I'm happy about at least some of Tesla's hubris on this vehicle.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  11. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Did you lease, finance or purchase? I am not sure how the payment process works (will be my first Tesla)

12. Marcos

Marcos Member

I love benefiting from every one of those features that Musk added with his "hubris". I can't think of one I would remove. If anything, I wish there were more, like rear view mirror with camera.

Yeah, it means that Tesla came up short in its quarterly deliveries, but I certainly don't care about the short-term gyrations of neurotic investors (I'm a happy loooong). I care about owning the most technologically advanced car ever made, and one that is powered by the sun.

13. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

I'm not surprised. Looking at the new baubles in the Model X I figured there would be problems that need to be ironed out and I'm not sure Model X production will ever match Model S production. The Model S is a much easier car to build which makes it a much faster car to build.

14. Vitold

Vitold Member

Why do you think that? Beside FWd and mono-post seats there's not much difference between the two.

• Like x 2
  15. loganintx

loganintx Member

I'm going to start a suitcase company that builds suitcases in the shape of 7' surfboards!

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  16. grommet

grommet Member

Yes. It's a smaller sedan with a trunk. So, of course it has less cargo... but at least it's a use case Tesla worried about on their much smaller and more cost effective vehicle. Primarily due to the loss of fold flat capable 2nd row seats on the Model X, we lost a lot of utility and flexibility that many expected.

• Like x 1
  17. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

• Like x 1
  18. aesculus

And people say the Model X is ugly.:)

19. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

So much for the end of hubris: "What more can you tell me about Model 3? It’s going to be awesome..." From Model 3 Reservations FAQ