Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD ("Heads Up Display") Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious to know if Tesla introduces the HUD ( Heads up display )what would you like to see.
What information do you think should be on the windshield , where on the windshield do you think it should be presented?
I personally would love to see the heads up display and have no gauges whatsoever in front of me.

I'm just hoping it will be projected directly on the windscreen, and not some kind of plastic in front of it.
Maybe some customization about what info to display.

But speedometer, charge (range) , GPS , music, depending on the size of the HUD, will it be full screen or relatively small? if it's large you could have gesture controls and many more options. The ones i mentioned would work on both big or small HUD's.

I wouldn't say music as that could cause distraction. Some places actually have laws in place about HUDs requiring only information required for driving to avoid distractions. Speed, lane identification, obstacle (animal [human] ) detection, GPS directional info, etc.

I hope if there's a HUD it's not just a speedometer because that would be lame...

just the basics

ukWByXx.jpg

I'm just hoping it will be projected directly on the windscreen, and not some kind of plastic in front of it.

Interesting, I was actually hoping for the opposite. I feel as though if a separate piece of glass is used, the windscreen manufacture and replacement cost can be reduced. Replacement cost important in some areas (my Albertan friends have to replace theirs almost once/winter). I also feel that they could make it a lot bigger as the internal screen's shape can be customized for best image viewing versus the variable curvature of the external windshield.

Although, now that I'm typing, I'm realizing that it would be another glass surface to keep clean.

Anyone who has driven a vehicle with a windshield-projected image versus a redundant screen-projected image?

That's basically the idea -- it'll be possible to overlay directions in a way that make them appear directly on the road surface and receding into the distance.

The best part about this is that Tesla just needs to ship the HUD hardware. The specifics can be implemented/improved at any point and just delivered via an over-the-air update. That's an insane advantage.

crTN7dP.png

Reactions: JHWJR and Topher
just the basics

ukWByXx.jpg

Is that blue object on the left another vehicle being detected by the sensors (yellow)?

HUD must-haves (for me):
*speed (and speed limit if feasible)
*all safety features (lane departure, blind spot, front collision, etc)
*direction (N, S, E, W, etc)
*navigation assist
*temperature
*time
*gear (P, R, N, D)
*miles of battery left
*mpg equivalent/fuel efficiency

I don't care about a music/radio display or a receiving/sending calls/texts display. I can see how it'd be safer to have a HUD display it than people taking their eyes off the road to mess with these items. But it would also seem to encourage these driving distractions.

EDIT: For the record, I absolutely DO NOT WANT a U-shaped steering wheel. I feel like missing 1/3 to 40% of the wheel would be a PITA when performing sharp turns and u-turns.

Reactions: hoang51
Have you seen the article in today's NY Times about the Audi "Virtual Cockpit" for the Q7 made from a 12.3" LCD screen? They have placed it behind the steering wheel where traditional instrumentation has always been. Does a lot of stuff, but doesn't seem very magical to me.

• Informative
Reactions: ikjadoon