TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

HUD Opinion

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ToolMan, May 20, 2016.

1. ToolMan

ToolMan The ToolMan

I'm curious to know if Tesla introduces the HUD ( Heads up display )what would you like to see.
    What information do you think should be on the windshield , where on the windshield do you think it should be presented?
    I personally would love to see the heads up display and have no gauges whatsoever in front of me.

2. Kristian G

Kristian G Member

I'm just hoping it will be projected directly on the windscreen, and not some kind of plastic in front of it.
    Maybe some customization about what info to display.

But speedometer, charge (range) , GPS , music, depending on the size of the HUD, will it be full screen or relatively small? if it's large you could have gesture controls and many more options. The ones i mentioned would work on both big or small HUD's.

3. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

I wouldn't say music as that could cause distraction. Some places actually have laws in place about HUDs requiring only information required for driving to avoid distractions. Speed, lane identification, obstacle (animal [human] ) detection, GPS directional info, etc.

I hope if there's a HUD it's not just a speedometer because that would be lame...

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Information for driving.
    Customizable.

The most important thing about it is that it's a way to avoid taking your eyes off the road.

5. McHoffa

McHoffa Member

just the basics

[​IMG]

• Like x 6
  6. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

The only problem I could foresee with projecting directly onto the windscreen is the steep slope it has. Don't know if that would effect readability or not.

Dan

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Agreed. And if a HUD was that clear and easy to read I would love it. But I am somewhat skeptical that such clarity is possible in all weather conditions.

8. ChooseGreen

ChooseGreen Member

Interesting, I was actually hoping for the opposite. I feel as though if a separate piece of glass is used, the windscreen manufacture and replacement cost can be reduced. Replacement cost important in some areas (my Albertan friends have to replace theirs almost once/winter). I also feel that they could make it a lot bigger as the internal screen's shape can be customized for best image viewing versus the variable curvature of the external windshield.

Although, now that I'm typing, I'm realizing that it would be another glass surface to keep clean.

Anyone who has driven a vehicle with a windshield-projected image versus a redundant screen-projected image?

9. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

Why not have only a few data points as standard and the rest of the area customizable. It's all software controlled, right? Speedo big and centered, range slightly smaller and nearby ... the rest as part of the customizable driver profile

10. Piney999

Piney999 Member

Where did this rendering come from? This is the first time I have seen it and it looks clean, sharp and realistically! I like this idea.

11. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

12. McHoffa

McHoffa Member

I just threw it all together

Better shot with full steering wheel

[​IMG]

13. Alketi

Alketi Member

That's basically the idea -- it'll be possible to overlay directions in a way that make them appear directly on the road surface and receding into the distance.

The best part about this is that Tesla just needs to ship the HUD hardware. The specifics can be implemented/improved at any point and just delivered via an over-the-air update. That's an insane advantage.

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  14. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

I'd like highlighting of people or potential issues (bicyclists) especially at night.

15. alseTrick

alseTrick Member

Is that blue object on the left another vehicle being detected by the sensors (yellow)?

HUD must-haves (for me):
    *speed (and speed limit if feasible)
    *all safety features (lane departure, blind spot, front collision, etc)
    *direction (N, S, E, W, etc)
    *navigation assist
    *temperature
    *time
    *gear (P, R, N, D)
    *miles of battery left
    *mpg equivalent/fuel efficiency

I don't care about a music/radio display or a receiving/sending calls/texts display. I can see how it'd be safer to have a HUD display it than people taking their eyes off the road to mess with these items. But it would also seem to encourage these driving distractions.

EDIT: For the record, I absolutely DO NOT WANT a U-shaped steering wheel. I feel like missing 1/3 to 40% of the wheel would be a PITA when performing sharp turns and u-turns.

• Like x 1
  16. arjay

arjay member

Have you seen the article in today's NY Times about the Audi "Virtual Cockpit" for the Q7 made from a 12.3" LCD screen? They have placed it behind the steering wheel where traditional instrumentation has always been. Does a lot of stuff, but doesn't seem very magical to me.

17. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

Advantage over what?

18. geoffreak

geoffreak Model 3 Reservation Holder

Having to design the software before shipping.

19. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

That begs the question of why they would do that anyway?

20. favo

favo Model 3 Reservation Holder

#20 favo, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
    Mobileye (supplier of image recognition EyeQ3 chips for Tesla) has pedestrian (and other object) detection. I expect this will come to Tesla in the next year.

upload_2016-5-20_16-54-20.png
    upload_2016-5-20_16-56-43.png
    upload_2016-5-20_17-0-58.png