Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD ("Heads Up Display") Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. A simple overlay is not AR. It's just a see through display.
Point accepted. Then, since we can't change the reality we see, the definition depends on what the HUD is displaying. Along the continuum from the simple to complex stuff it could display, what defines the transition point between being an "overlay" to being "AR"?

Proposal: If the HUD is displaying graphics or other information that align with the reality seen through the windshield (e.g. outlining the lane to take for an upcoming exit), then it's AR. If it's displaying information that is just for information-sake (e.g. your current speed), then it's a HUD.

That work?

Point accepted. Then, since we can't change the reality we see, the definition depends on what the HUD is displaying. Along the continuum from the simple to complex stuff it could display, what defines the transition point between being an "overlay" to being "AR"?

Proposal: If the HUD is displaying graphics or other information that align with the reality seen through the windshield (e.g. outlining the lane to take for an upcoming exit), then it's AR. If it's displaying information that is just for information-sake (e.g. your current speed), then it's a HUD.

That work?
That is a good description, I agree with that.:)

Nope, just the difference between projection TV and panel TV. Neither is much more complicated than the other.

Thank you kindly.
Not many TV's are buried in a bouncing box with multiple mirrors required to exit the image intact, configured correctly, in the right place for the viewer to see, bright enough for high ambient light levels and crisp to the eye day or night.
Not at all impossible ( aircraft have had them for decades) but also not trivial.
Robin

Some here think plain old HUD is AR.

At the end of the day Tesla is going to have to throw in a few more bells and whistles into the HUD than a boxed car or a warning sign to market it as AR. Just meeing the bare minimum definition ain't going to cut it.

I disagree in that just meeting the bare minimum does, in fact, enable them to call it a HUD with AR. By definition they can do that. I do agree with you though that, on a personal expectation level, I wouldn't be terribly happy with that either. Luckily this is Tesla, so I'm thinking that, if they do indeed offer a HUD and that they do add AR to it, it should be fairly impressive. Either way, I expect we'll know in month or two.

Reactions: melindav
Elon Musk tweeted today that there will be no heads up display, as reported on Electrek today...suggesting that the Center Console 15 inch display will be the only driver display in the car. An image was shown with the speedometer display on the upper left of the center mounted screen. I am concerned that a center mounted screen is a very bad way to display the info that we now see on our dashboard. A dashboard is the closest that information can be displayed to where our line of sight should be for safe driving. A heads up display, which superimposes information on the windshield, is even closer to our line of sight, but there is some concern that this type of "augmented reality" over the view of the road ahead may prove too distracting. I've used some heads up displays and found them effective and not more distracting than the standard dashboard. But asking a driver to look down and to the right just to see the speedometer is a really bad idea. And think about all of the other info the fine car makers of the world put on the dashboard for us to see now, just so we DON'T need to look elsewhere. I'm surprised at Elon. This is the first clearly bad decision I've seen him make.
1490394960_TeslaDisplay.jpg

Attachments

• TeslaDisplay.jpg
    TeslaDisplay.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 166
Yet another thread on this issue. Because you can't have too many...

The 3 is only going to have one display. Whether you look down a few degrees or to your right a few degrees makes no difference when it comes to seeing the information that the 3 will display in the upper left corner of the center display, which is much higher than the same corner in the S/X center display as is clearly shown in the image you included in your post.

Have a 2004 Toyota Echo with center instruments, never been a problem, only took long enough to get out of the dealer parking lot for it to be second nature. Never did like a light show low and in front of me, always turn down the intensity at night to prevent the distraction.

If people cancel there reservation because of this reason, it will move me closer to the from of the line.

My female companion drives a 2010 Yaris with a center instrument cluster. Every time I'm behind the wheel I have to look to the center consul to see the speed. She and I argue about this all the time, but it does take longer to look over to the right and down then just looking down. In the grand scheme of things does it matter? No, not really. But from a safety perspective your eyes are off the road longer. But from a safety perspective you also will have auto pilot safety features... so take it with a grain of salt.