Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD possible for model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Posted this on the "No dash screen -- only 15" touchscreen?" thread)

IMO it's [no HUD or instrument cluster] cool and very forward thinking!

1. Has to help with the car's cost (as Elon has been saying about less displays for a LONG time, not sure why everyone is so surprised)
2. As Autopilot usage increases, driver gauges will be less necessary.
3. There are other features (adaptive cruise control, speed limit audio chimes) people could use for speed rather than taking their eyes off the road (even through a HUD or to steering wheel cluster) when they are actively driving.
4. Minimalist design / less distraction

As autonomy improves steering wheel clusters are going to seem more and more antiquated; this will be looked back at the first vehicle to recognize that. The steering wheel will be for when you have to be driving actively in tricky intersections and emergencies looking at the road/surroundings (not instrument cluster details). The center console will be for when it is driving autonomously (vast majority of the time).

I really like the idea of HUD for overlaying on your view of the road the path the car is going to take, whether using Autopilot or just navigation. I have no concerns over having the speedometer require a slight look to the right (already do that in my current car).

Reactions: TylerHilliard
HUD is a must – it is beyond me how there is no such option on the Model S or Model X already. I want to know exactly how [much too] fast I am going at all times! :p
Seriously. Basic information projected directly into my field of view, whenever I so desire, please. The windshield is there anyway, and a small display that projects onto it costs virtually nothing. Anyone remember those clocks that can project the time at the wall or ceiling?
With no display behind the steering wheel this is a no-brainer. At the very least as an option; but this should be standard. On all models.

I wonder if they will implement a windshield HUD system similar to what is amiable on other luxury brands / Corvettes?

No, they will not.

They are trying to keep the cost down for the Model 3. So, they would try to share as many components as possible with Model S and Model X. With no HUD availability for Model S and Model X, the chance of seeing one in Model 3 is close to zero. The only chance of that happening is if they introduce one for rumored Model S 2nd Gen/Facelift.

HUD, apart from the display hardware, require special windshield to prevent double images. So this would again increase the cost.

Tesla is pushing towards autonomous driving, so the need for instrument panel or HUD is getting less and less. The only thing we need right now is the speedometer. So even a small speedometer display at the bottom of the windshield would suffice rather than the expensive engineering for a full HUD.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark
I suspect the highly technical folks who like to have nth-degree details about the system (e.g., individual cell battery voltages) displayed will want such a feature, and the minimalists will love the way it is, and most people will be in the middle won't care and will adjust.

My parents used to have a Saturn Ion. Its controls were centered and my parents learned to look to the side rather than down to manage their driving.

I'd like to have the instrument panel projected directly on my pupils. ;) Seriously though, I'm not crazy about having to glance to the center to see basic information. But it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

I'd like to have the instrument panel projected directly on my pupils. ;) Seriously though, I'm not crazy about having to glance to the center to see basic information. But it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.
I think it would be a "deal breaker" for me. The S instrument display is so nice and useful, why screw it up on the 3? Is it really that expensive?

I think that the whole interior had a "slapped together at the last minute" feel and agree with others that there are some things being held back for later reveal, for competitive reasons.

I really have a hard time trying to figure out why HUDs have not become more mainstream. Not full-glass, but just key figures (speed, gear, odometer, and next navigation step sort of stuff) right there in LOS make ridiculous sense. Looking down or to the side is still looking away and should be left to checking mirrors.

Double-image could be a reasonable problem... modern solution could be to use the auto-stereoscopic tech and/or combine with a design that is intended to ghost on the windshields layers.

I really have a hard time trying to figure out why HUDs have not become more mainstream.
I suspect safety is a reason. People focusing on the HUD rather than the traffic and pedestrians. There's also the problem of short people where the HUD is directly in the line of sight. HUD works well for fighter pilots because they are trained to focus correctly and they don't deal with pedestrians or stopped vehicles. HUD for most will make more sense when autopilot matures to the point of almost total reliability in all circumstances.

If all we need to know is mph it should be easy to project that onto the windshield,

I have the HUD on my corvette and it's pretty cool especially at night....during the day with direct sunlight it's not quite as good but I'm sure the technology has advanced quite a bit.

A big number on the center screen would work as well....not great for the passenger to see all the time...

There's no way a HUD will be on the base $35k car - Tesla is undoubtedly struggling to keep that profitable already, especially if Supercharging is going to be included as Elon seemed to say at the reveal.

However, I could easily see it being part of an option package. Tesla could even take it the augmented reality route, and highlight the vehicles and lines it sees on the windshield directly over the top of the actual items from the driver's viewpoint, with relevant data/warnings added, though even a smaller more limited/traditional HUD would be of significant value.

HUD is of course technically possible in the 3 but I do not believe Tesla will offer it. As AP grows more and more capable, drivers will increasingly rely on it to inform them if they are exceeding the offset value they have entered for the legal speed limit on the road they are traveling. There will be less and less need to have that data directly in front of them. Tesla is showing us the way all cars will be built in the future; a single display in the center available to both the driver and passenger.

I have a 3 reservation and expect it to replace my S. I see no problem with the 3 display as shown in the photos I have seen so far. Having the speed in the upper left corner, and presumably a range indicator there as well is sufficient for me.

My vote for HUD functionality is to tie it into the car's radar system so as to be able to display what is on the road ahead even in dense fog, and beyond the range of headlights at night. Jet fighters now have this for displaying virtual terrain.

But in a $35k car? I don't think so!

I agree, no HUD for the base model...but the base model has autopilot hardware for safety.
I'm willing to bet the autopilot driving control will come as an option!
If you look at all the information, Tesla engineers considered important to put in the IP cluster for autopilot Model S and X,
if they are consistent, the Autopilot 'driving' (not safety) option will come at a premium that will include a HUD to show us all that info.
My 2 cents!

(Posted this on the "No dash screen -- only 15" touchscreen?" thread)

IMO it's [no HUD or instrument cluster] cool and very forward thinking!

1. Has to help with the car's cost (as Elon has been saying about less displays for a LONG time, not sure why everyone is so surprised)
2. As Autopilot usage increases, driver gauges will be less necessary.
3. There are other features (adaptive cruise control, speed limit audio chimes) people could use for speed rather than taking their eyes off the road (even through a HUD or to steering wheel cluster) when they are actively driving.
4. Minimalist design / less distraction

As autonomy improves steering wheel clusters are going to seem more and more antiquated; this will be looked back at the first vehicle to recognize that. The steering wheel will be for when you have to be driving actively in tricky intersections and emergencies looking at the road/surroundings (not instrument cluster details). The center console will be for when it is driving autonomously (vast majority of the time).

I'm not buying the argument that autonomous driving will eliminate the need for anything the driver looks at. But then again I'm a car guy and love tearing up mountain passes. I personally will use autonomous for boring straight freeway and highway driving like I5 and 99 in California and bumper to bumper stuff in the Bay Area. I would be very disappointed though if information I like to see for driving were removed completely for those occasions where I choose to drive.

Reactions: dgpcolorado