Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD possible for model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no way a HUD will be on the base $35k car - Tesla is undoubtedly struggling to keep that profitable already, especially if Supercharging is going to be included as Elon seemed to say at the reveal.

If a chevy camaro has a HUD, why not model 3?

I'm guessing they just want to display it on the S first, that is why it was excluded during the reveal. I also have a hunch that the more basic GUI on the v7 software was a first step towards a HUD system.

No, they will not.

They are trying to keep the cost down for the Model 3. So, they would try to share as many components as possible with Model S and Model X. With no HUD availability for Model S and Model X, the chance of seeing one in Model 3 is close to zero. The only chance of that happening is if they introduce one for rumored Model S 2nd Gen/Facelift.

HUD, apart from the display hardware, require special windshield to prevent double images. So this would again increase the cost.

Tesla is pushing towards autonomous driving, so the need for instrument panel or HUD is getting less and less. The only thing we need right now is the speedometer. So even a small speedometer display at the bottom of the windshield would suffice rather than the expensive engineering for a full HUD.

HUDs are pretty darn cheap.

I have a "HUD" alarm clock that cost $15, works perfectly and projects the time. I know the automotive side is a bit more expensive then that as projecting onto a windshield is a bit tougher, but at the same time an instrument cluster is really not that expensive at all.

I'm not worried about things like speed on the top left central display. I'm worried about the very real possibility of the central display freezing/crashing because it's doubling and simultaneously running as GPS, infotainment, and probably will hold third party apps as well. Something that is system critical that can also run user-loaded software is bad, bad, bad even if the software is Tesla-approved.

Relying on audio cues alone for important things like autopilot being turned off and speed limits is also very bad. Very easy to miss audio cues especially if music is involved or other people are talking.

If there's no HUD option or driver panel option, this can potentially be my only dealbreaker.

But then again I'm a car guy and love tearing up mountain passes. I personally will use autonomous for boring straight freeway and highway driving

Sounds about right, and for the boring parts you can easily glance your speed at the center screen, would feel more comfortable having it more in line/sight when looking forward in twisty roads :)

Put me in the "It's a possibility" camp. If they don't put in an instrument cluster, there's just too much information that Tesla owners need to see without turning their heads every time. Battery range and energy usage comes to mind.

Folks theres not a chance that all the controls would solely be on the centre console. That would be just dangerous. Theyre definitely either adding an instrumental panel or adding a HUD. If theyre going with the HUD display, theyre going to be adding it to the next model S and X for sure and share the costs.

What makes HUD expensive is the windshield, not the projection.

But keep in mind we live in the age of flexible transparent OLED, so there are various interesting other options (including putting one on the windshield).

I bet a small 6x4 OLED display mounted on the windshield will be cheaper than what the Model S driver console costs.
KIA-Transparent-Car-Dashboard-3.png

I think Tesla was very careful about the Model 3 not showing any technology or options that the Model S or X don't have (like a HUD maybe). I'm sure updates are in the pipeline that will be released on the S, X & 3 prior to the 3 production date.

I think it will be offered, but may be optional...

HUDs are already offered in this price range. It's an option on nearly all BMWs and Minis now, and people above mention the Camaro.

With the central display, having speed, nav info (next turn), and the autopilot awareness info in front of the driver will be really helpful.

For those saying it won't be offered since its not on the S or X... Nothing says Tesla isn't already working on adding to the S and could be in the next update or an update next year...

There's no way there won't be ANYTHING right in front of the driver. I agree it is something brand new that will be rolled out first in the S/X and so will be kept a secret for now. Or maybe it's not done yet. Don't look at the prototype dash for clues, that's likely to change.

Don't look at the prototype dash for clues, that's likely to change.

I don't think so, at least not by as much as members here would hope for. In one Model 3 test drive video where the driver was Doug Field, the VP of engineering in Tesla. He described the design direction of the dashboard, the one screen concept, the elimination of instrument panel, and how the one screen allows unobstructed airflow from the vent in front of the driver. So I believe while there may be some evolutionary and minor detail changes or addition, what you see is mostly what you get in the production version.

I don't think so, at least not by as much as members here would hope for. In one Model 3 test drive video where the driver was Doug Field, the VP of engineering in Tesla. He described the design direction of the dashboard, the one screen concept, the elimination of instrument panel, and how the one screen allows unobstructed airflow from the vent in front of the driver. So I believe while there may be some evolutionary and minor detail changes or addition, what you see is mostly what you get in the production version.

I agree and don't think much is likely to change from now until the production units. I also wonder if the airflow that he mentioned means that the vents are hidden between that top dash section and the bottom. That looks like the most likely position of the vents rather than front near the windshield but either place looks difficult to adjust even if direction/closing can be controlled through the screen.

img_6997-png.169930

This discussion is occurring in multiple threads; I certainly one who is hopeful of HUD. This thread has some who assert HUD is expensive and others adamant that it's quite affordable - it certainly would be nice to hear from someone with an opinion that he or she has some experience or data to show one way or the other.

Reactions: jkk_