Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Huge Battery Drain Since Firmware Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a notification yesterday morning that a new firmware upgrade was available. I loaded it at 6:30 am yesterday. Within three hours, I lost 3 miles of charge. The car automatically started recharging and recharged to 247 miles of range. I just received a notice, right at 26 hours from yesterday's full charge, that the car was recharging with 233 miles. That is 14 miles in 26 hours. The car has not been driven and is plugged in. It is a 2015 85D with 5K miles. Ordinarily I had seen between 2 - 3 miles per day loss.

I think I did notice more vampire drain with the 2.16.17 firmware. So yesterday upon arriving home at noon I did a data gathering test. I plugged in the car to my HPWC, made sure all climate and seat heaters were off and the S was locked. My car is set with Always Connected so I left it that way. I set the charge limit below the current charge level so that it did not charge. Set a time alarm on my phone and logged the rated hour drain every hour... using the Tesla App on my iPhone to display to me the data and jotted it down on a pad.

1PM 188 Rated Miles
2PM 188 Rated Miles
3PM 188 Rated Miles
4PM 187 Rated Miles
5PM same
6PM same
7PM 186 Rated Miles
8PM same
9PM same
10PM same
11PM 185 Rated Miles.
turned in for the night
6 AM 183 Rated Miles and then I initiated a charge session to 80%

A loss of 5 rated miles or about one rated mile per ever 3+ hours of wall clock time.

I am not sure if this is more or less that my previous firmware version which was 2.12.126

I have not performed the data gathering with Always Connected set to OFF.

My S is only 5 weeks old with 1,200 miles.

I suggest you perform such a data gathering test yourself.

I think I did notice more vampire drain with the 2.16.17 firmware. So yesterday upon arriving home at noon I did a data gathering test. I plugged in the car to my HPWC, made sure all climate and seat heaters were off and the S was locked. My car is set with Always Connected so I left it that way. I set the charge limit below the current charge level so that it did not charge. Set a time alarm on my phone and logged the rated hour drain every hour... using the Tesla App on my iPhone to display to me the data and jotted it down on a pad.

1PM 188 Rated Miles
2PM 188 Rated Miles
3PM 188 Rated Miles
4PM 187 Rated Miles
5PM same
6PM same
7PM 186 Rated Miles
8PM same
9PM same
10PM same
11PM 185 Rated Miles.
turned in for the night
6 AM 183 Rated Miles and then I initiated a charge session to 80%

A loss of 5 rated miles or about one rated mile per ever 3+ hours of wall clock time.

I am not sure if this is more or less that my previous firmware version which was 2.12.126

I have not performed the data gathering with Always Connected set to OFF.

My S is only 5 weeks old with 1,200 miles.

I suggest you perform such a data gathering test yourself.
Mine just finished the full charge. It used to charge to 247, it stopped at 242. I will log the drain every hour and see where we are tonight.

Yes I appear to be having very high losses, but I haven't done a log. However, I've lost 16 miles in ~23 hours, having only driven <6 miles in that time. I'm going to try and do some detailed tracking overnight. I can however tell right now that my 16A@120V charging is reporting slow, 4.2mph vs 4.5mph typical, which is strange.

Posted this earlier today over in the Firmware 7.1 Thread in case it's of any assist to those having problemso.
For those reporting additional vampire drain after applying 2.16.17, here's a comparative data point:

It's been more than 48 hours since I've applied 2.16.17 to my S90D. My daily vampire loss (including USB Phantom Playing) has remained 3-4 miles per day which I've seen since delivery more than 6 months ago. I see no difference after applying this firmware release on my S90D. Energy Savings ON, Always Connected Checked, Range Mode ON, plugged into my 80A HPWC, and USB Music Playing when I shut the door on my MS ;).

FWIW, as reported elsewhere long ago, "USB Phantom Playing" accounts for something between 2-3 miles/day of my vampire loss in my non-scientific testing.​

I leave my display on battery % rather than rated range, but I parked my car in my (unheated) garage last night about 6:00 p.m. with 79% battery remaining; when I came out to it this morning at 7 a.m. it was at 78%. Garage stayed pretty warm, about 10C inside with outdoor ambient temp at about -1C. Updated to 2.16.17 on Wednesday. With my 90D, 1% of battery works out to something like 5 km or 3 miles of range, give or take. It actually seems to be a little less drain than I used to see, but it's only since the weather warmed up that I've stopped charging it every night so I don't have a large baseline to relate to.

My vampire drain has settled back into it's old pattern, about 73 watts of continuous background draw. Of course there were several days after the update where this wasn't true. Good thing I didn't need that range. Could have been in trouble if I was traveling somewhere and didn't expect to lose that range.

My vampire drain has settled back into it's old pattern, about 73 watts of continuous background draw. Of course there were several days after the update where this wasn't true. Good thing I didn't need that range. Could have been in trouble if I was traveling somewhere and didn't expect to lose that range.
I'm assuming that you've checked the settings and rebooted? Upgrades have been known to mess with the settings on occasion.