Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Huge difference in the quote received from body shops in DFW area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

On sunday I was t-boned by a deer driving on a toll road.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/55371-T-boned-by-deer-(graphic-photo)

Long story short...Monday ...Went to two body shops in DFW area. John Eagle and Trade secret and got two different quotes for the body repair. Both of them of course were rough estimates: 20K from John Eagle and 8.5K from Trade Secret

I am seeing the quote from John Eagle to be way high compared to Trade secret.

Questions:

a. Why is there a huge difference in quote?
b. Is Tesla aware of this?

Please let me know what you guys/gals think.

Thanks

I got itemized quote from Trade Secret but John Eagle did not provide so. I asked for it but they gave me a verbal list of what they are going to do and cost for doing it.

John Eagle's quote for painting the rear bumper (happened in Mar 2015 was again twice that of Trade secret)

Is your insurance company involved? I would assume they would want an independent appraisers opinion on it as well.

For what its worth, my repair work was done by Trade Secret. One of their guys, Rick, is an artist when it comes to Tesla work. I personally talked to him at length, and he knows SO much about the car and how to work on it. Overall, Trade Secret's customer service wasn't that great (communication was HORRIBLE, until I finally asked to speak to a supervisor and then after that it was great), and they were a little too busy so it pushed my car back. But their work was great. I'd take it back to them if I was in a similar situation.

Is your insurance company involved? I would assume they would want an independent appraisers opinion on it as well.

For what its worth, my repair work was done by Trade Secret. One of their guys, Rick, is an artist when it comes to Tesla work. I personally talked to him at length, and he knows SO much about the car and how to work on it. Overall, Trade Secret's customer service wasn't that great (communication was HORRIBLE, until I finally asked to speak to a supervisor and then after that it was great), and they were a little too busy so it pushed my car back. But their work was great. I'd take it back to them if I was in a similar situation.

Yes my car insurance is doing their own appraisal as well.

I had good experience with Trade secret before. Everything was done in 3-4 days. I can understand what you went through.

So I asked Randy to order parts from Tesla once the insurance approves the estimate.

I figure Tesla would take 2-3 weeks to send the parts.

I am not going to rush and leave my car at the body shop.

It is very disheartening to drive a Tesla after its hit...driver's door is jammed as well. I am using passenger door to enter and exit.