Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Huge parked battery consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just seeing if anyone has some ideas - I have a 2020 S Long Range that I have parked at the airport while I am away for 5 days. It's consuming 8% of the battery per day at the moment and I have no idea whats causing it. I have disconnected (deleted tokens) from any monitoring bar my phone app, there is no scheduled tasks on it, Sentry is not on, everything appears to be switched off and the keys are nowhere near it. Normally it uses <1% per day if that.
At the current rate I'll be lucky to get it out the parking garage at the end!

Sentry is not on
Also, I did see someone mention something that was news to me just yesterday. If you think you turned Sentry off by just turning it off in the mobile app, that only temporarily turns it off for the moment until the car goes to sleep again. The real setting is not changed. When it wakes back up next time, it will be on again, and the car will be permanently awake again. Apparently that setting can only be actually permanently switched off from the car's screen.

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Thanks.
I have killed the App on the phone and switch it on once after 24 hours to check and hey presto the drop is 8% - deliberately not checking to try and get the car to sleep. I have not actually had sentry mode on since I left it (and did not turn it on when I parked) so it's not that. I have never used Summon apart from when I bought it when it didn't work in anyway so never bothered.
Seems totally bizarre - no logical reason

Thanks.
I have killed the App on the phone and switch it on once after 24 hours to check and hey presto the drop is 8% - deliberately not checking to try and get the car to sleep. I have not actually had sentry mode on since I left it (and did not turn it on when I parked) so it's not that. I have never used Summon apart from when I bought it when it didn't work in anyway so never bothered.
Seems totally bizarre - no logical reason
If you don't ever use Summon, then you should be sure to turn off Summon Standby Mode. Otherwise, it will nearly always be running and waiting for you to potentially summon the car. You can set it to exclude Home, Work and Favorites or just turn it off entirely.

I was told by ranger, when leaving at airport. Power car off. Zero drain for the week. Remember, cooling is keeping battery cool or warm, about 68 degrees. U have computer running all the time. I lose 3 miles a night while plugged in, that computer refills later that cycle.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
@Lasttoy - I don't think the battery temperature is maintained when the car is locked and in a normal power down and not charging, unless there are extreme temperatures (well below zero). Maintaining the battery at one temperature during cold or hot temps would consume far more than 1 mile/hour - more like 5-15 miles/hour.

There are multiple computers running the car. When in a normal power down, one low-power computer monitors the battery and a few other minor things. There are some CPUs on all the time for door locks and security. These take very little power and run even if you force a full power down.

When smart summon standby or sentry mode is on, it keeps all the main computers powered up, which consumes about 1 mile of range per hour.

Just seeing if anyone has some ideas - I have a 2020 S Long Range that I have parked at the airport while I am away for 5 days. It's consuming 8% of the battery per day at the moment and I have no idea whats causing it. I have disconnected (deleted tokens) from any monitoring bar my phone app, there is no scheduled tasks on it, Sentry is not on, everything appears to be switched off and the keys are nowhere near it. Normally it uses <1% per day if that.
At the current rate I'll be lucky to get it out the parking garage at the end!

Did you recently get 2022.36.5?

FYI, one of the recent 2022.36 updates turned on my pre-conditiioning to midnight causing a lot of energy consumption at midnight every night. Just figured it out and turned it back off and now I'm back to about 1% consumed every 2 days in my garage (Sentry off).

I have been wondering about this ever since we are now able to see detail on parked energy usage.

I have noticed that some nights (or days when parked at work) I find that the car battery will lose approximately 2.5% or so from standby, but some days it’s only0-0.2% loss.

Anyone know why this is? I don’t think I am doing anything different.

I can think of two things. First, the 2.5% nights could be because the car is not sleeping but there might be a line item for that, I don't have the screen handy right now.
What I think is this: As your battery gets colder in the night, less energy is available to extract from it. That energy would be available again as it warms up. When reaching a very cold temperature you get the blue slice and icon but you "lose" some energy even before that. I'm not sure there is a specific line for that, and it's not really spent energy, but there is less than before available.

I have been wondering about this ever since we are now able to see detail on parked energy usage.

I have noticed that some nights (or days when parked at work) I find that the car battery will lose approximately 2.5% or so from standby, but some days it’s only0-0.2% loss.

Anyone know why this is? I don’t think I am doing anything different.
Use the Tessie app to monitor sleep cycles. The capture below is for a 24hr period. That first part on the left is driving. The other shows the car waking up every 6hrs for about 15minutes. The last part on the right shows some extra activity, dont know what its doing. Maybe the energy app can help with that part.
Screenshot_20221115_062239.jpg

Last edited: