Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Huge Supercharger expansion planned in California in 2017 and beyond

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very good, also looks like some current ones are grey probably to show expansion.
I was wondering about that. Do you have an example of an existing location that's grey?

Mountain View has a current location, which is absent from the map, but also has a new grey pin. However, the grey pin is the generic center Google Maps uses as "Mountain View, CA" rather than the actual existing Supercharger location. I'm wondering if that means it's being relocated to a new, undisclosed location, or if they're simply expanding the existing location and it's a glitch in the map.

Oddly, the map shows Harris ranch, Tejon Ranch, and Mojave, and Rocklin as "coming soon", despite the fact that they have been in operation for as much as 4 years.

Maybe they mean enhancements coming soon, but it's very confusing.

Upon closer look, it appears that California has sold some of its land to the state of Michigan, since right next to the Roseville, CA supercharger, Tesla plans to build a Roseville, Michigan supercharger. Maybe teleportation capability is what Elon meant when he tweeted that competitors' plans for 350 kW chargers are "child's play". ;)

• Funny
Reactions: jbcarioca
Oddly, the map shows Harris ranch, Tejon Ranch, and Mojave, and Rocklin as "coming soon", despite the fact that they have been in operation for as much as 4 years.

Maybe they mean enhancements coming soon, but it's very confusing.

Upon closer look, it appears that California has sold some of its land to the state of Michigan, since right next to the Roseville, CA supercharger, Tesla plans to build a Roseville, Michigan supercharger. Maybe teleportation capability is what Elon meant when he tweeted that competitors' plans for 350 kW chargers are "child's play". ;)
Excellent plan! real estate costs in Roseville, MI are substantially below those of Roseville, CA. However, the CA one is ranked as 11th best small city while the MI one is ranked as one of the 10 worst small towns in the USA. There may be a reason why the real estate is cheap in the MI one.

Yes, there is something seriously wrong with their map. Many long-open locations are shown as 'coming soon' which could mean expansion, but it doesn't really make any sense to pretend that they're not open right now. I also notice at least one site that isn't even on the map but has been open for months: Aberdeen, WA. I wouldn't trust it until they update it again.

• Helpful
Reactions: oktane
The Sacramento one is located in the middle of downtown. And if you take the pin literally, there are buildings next to it you can't move and across the street from that is a park. So unless they're planning on building it out on the street, it will surely be ICE'd.

I was wondering about that. Do you have an example of an existing location that's grey?

Mountain View has a current location, which is absent from the map, but also has a new grey pin. However, the grey pin is the generic center Google Maps uses as "Mountain View, CA" rather than the actual existing Supercharger location. I'm wondering if that means it's being relocated to a new, undisclosed location, or if they're simply expanding the existing location and it's a glitch in the map.

Some mentioned above also saw gilroy and others in very northern CA, southern OR, southeastern CA

I wouldn't take the locations too seriously. It has been mentioned that the grey pins where there are existing locations could be areas in line for expansion. Or, it could be a map bug.

The generic city centers are also just to show that those are potential cities that are being targeted. Mostly, I'm just looking at the map to get a feel for the scope and ambitiousness of the expansion. I'm very eager to see the first site with "dozens" of charging stalls.

Reactions: McManX
Yes, the new Supercharger map released today shows many "Coming Soon" locations that appear to simply be in the approximate center of a town or city. But it shows many other such locations fairly precisely. See the 3 SF city locations, each has a different name and a location that is consistent with the name. See the new San Mateo Hillsdale location: it is located right at the Hillsdale Mall on Hillsdale Ave. Nothing approximate about that.

Given what we've all seen from Tesla to date, I give this massive expansion plan a 10% chance of hitting 50% of the target number of additional openings... Yeah... I don't have much faith...

That being said, all of the urban installations certainly caught my eye as I have always been very adamant about locals who abuse their SC privileges... Continuing to build them in urban areas only makes the abuse more likely to occur...

Jeff

Given what we've all seen from Tesla to date, I give this massive expansion plan a 10% chance of hitting 50% of the target number of additional openings... Yeah... I don't have much faith...

That being said, all of the urban installations certainly caught my eye as I have always been very adamant about locals who abuse their SC privileges... Continuing to build them in urban areas only makes the abuse more likely to occur...

Jeff
But now that new owners are paying for charging, they're not abusing them. The old owners on the other hand...

Now that the free/unlimited/lifetime Supercharger status is gone, and all new cars only get 400kWh/year of free charging and then they have to pay, I think we will see that over time the "local abuse" issue will fade away.

Glad to see the increased SoCal locations. This will make my car much more useful on road trips.

In locations that already have existing known superchargers, I assume "coming soon" means they are adding more stalls.

In 2017, we’ll be doubling the Tesla charging network, expanding existing sites so drivers never wait to charge, and broadening our charging locations within city centers.​