Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Huge supercharger price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A round trip Montréal-Quebec went from 26$ to 35$ in just a week difference, and with 8-10 degrees C hotter for the 35$ round trip.
This is around 40% price increase.
Does Tesla mirror the price on the gas increase?
Anybody saw an increase in the Quebec province or elsewhere?
I think it was like 40 cents/kwh before and now it’s by minute between 0.25$ to 1.35$/ min.
It seems the per minute pricing is in place for a long time in other states but now I can see the difference between the old and new system, and it doesn’t go at the advantage of the customer, I am a bit reluctant to charge at the maximum rate now 😝
They even talked about it on the radio this morning and some people apparently stating it doubled their price.

There are hundreds of discussions on the local facebook groups, it's been discussed at length. It has been brought up here too as the hike happened in the US before us. Note that Electric circuit / Flo have also adjusted their prices upwards recently and created more slices.
Long story short, Tesla created more power slices to price the energy closer to what it would be if it was per kWh. I personally believe they were losing money before and they either break even or make a little now, which makes sense. There's no reason to charge slower, you'll spend more minutes in the lower tier so it'll cost you as much. Plus, and more importantly, charging should be quick to leave room for the next person. Anyway, you have no control over DC charging.

There are hundreds of discussions on the local facebook groups, it's been discussed at length. It has been brought up here too as the hike happened in the US before us. Note that Electric circuit / Flo have also adjusted their prices upwards recently and created more slices.
Long story short, Tesla created more power slices to price the energy closer to what it would be if it was per kWh. I personally believe they were losing money before and they either break even or make a little now, which makes sense. There's no reason to charge slower, you'll spend more minutes in the lower tier so it'll cost you as much. Plus, and more importantly, charging should be quick to leave room for the next person. Anyway, you have no control over DC charging.
What FB local group is it please?

A round trip Montréal-Quebec went from 26$ to 35$ in just a week difference, and with 8-10 degrees C hotter for the 35$ round trip.
This is around 40% price increase.
Does Tesla mirror the price on the gas increase?
Anybody saw an increase in the Quebec province or elsewhere?
I think it was like 40 cents/kwh before and now it’s by minute between 0.25$ to 1.35$/ min.
It seems the per minute pricing is in place for a long time in other states but now I can see the difference between the old and new system, and it doesn’t go at the advantage of the customer, I am a bit reluctant to charge at the maximum rate now 😝
They even talked about it on the radio this morning and some people apparently stating it doubled their price.
Still cheaper than gas, oui?

Absolutely, and still the best network. But anything that could prevent the transition will be talked in the medias, and this spike of price will be talked for sure.
The naysayers will find something to criticize, and if they can't, they will just make something up. You can't win that one. You can just shrug it off and laugh at them when they finally bite the bullet and kick themselves for resisting so long.

The naysayers will find something to criticize, and if they can't, they will just make something up. You can't win that one. You can just shrug it off and laugh at them when they finally bite the bullet and kick themselves for resisting so long.

True, but they'll only congratulate themselves for "waiting for the good ones", and talk about all those stupid early adopters. Definitely a no-win situation. Best to not engage.

My understanding it is Canadian laws causing the issues and not Tesla. Tesla would like to charge on a per kWh basis but isn't allowed to due to the local laws forbidding it. This is the same for some locales in the USA too. In my state it is on a per kWh basis.

1646776139235.png

So something has changed in the law in my province
Sorry let me rephrase: Tesla is simply implementing a 4 tier pricing model instead of the previous 2 tier pricing model to (in theory) better align with consumption. They would like to always do per kWh pricing but they cannot do that unless the local laws allow them to.

I would also just generally assume that prices are going up on everything everywhere so supercharging is not exempt.

Reactions: GtiMart
There used to be a list of all the superchargers and their pricing. Whatever happened to that?
That's gone, because it changes so frequently in so many places it was going to constantly be out of date. The only way to really see it accurately and with current information is in the car itself, selecting Superchargers on the map. And that is only available for ones within a certain radius of the car.

• Funny
Reactions: KJD and Tedkidd
That's gone, because it changes so frequently in so many places it was going to constantly be out of date. The only way to really see it accurately and with current information is in the car itself, selecting Superchargers on the map. And that is only available for ones within a certain radius of the car.
So, they can keep a list for the cars, but they can't keep a list for a list?
That makes sense....

This really seems to be a poorly timed implementation by tesla. They released a new pricing tier that changed how they charged, as someone posted above, but it didn’t take into account that Canada hasn’t released its pricing structure for EV charging (kwh) yet, so it’s still by the minute which makes this pricing tier much more expensive

Tesla should be rolling this back in for super chargers in Canada until the cost gets sorted out. This is ridiculous. With these new pricing, it would actually be cheaper to take my last vehicle on road trips. Obviously Tesla still wins with local driving

I'm in So FL and just noticed that the price for supercharging in the area went up. Some places charge different rates depending on the time of day, and some in No FL charge the same rate regardless of the time of day and both prices went up.

But Florida Power and Light raised up their residential rates a few months ago, so maybe this is why Tesla raised their rates.

Reactions: Tedkidd
If we had the ccs adapter here, it would now be cheaper to drive to Vancouver using electrify Canada as they charge half of what Tesla is right now at $0.57/min up to 350kwh (I know the adapter will probably cap out at 100kw but hopefully goes to 250kw

I’m really bothered by the price increase even though most of my charging is at home

The same 2400km round trip I did 2 months ago, would now cost 3x as much even though it’s warmer and I’ll get better efficiently