Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Huge supercharger price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If we had the ccs adapter here, it would now be cheaper to drive to Vancouver using electrify Canada as they charge half of what Tesla is right now at $0.57/min up to 350kwh (I know the adapter will probably cap out at 100kw but hopefully goes to 250kw

I’m really bothered by the price increase even though most of my charging is at home

The same 2400km round trip I did 2 months ago, would now cost 3x as much even though it’s warmer and I’ll get better efficiently
I think in tests with the Ukrainian third-party EVHub adapter and imported South Korean first-party Tesla adapters, some people have seen >150 kW from CCS charging?

Reactions: Tedkidd
I think in tests with the Ukrainian third-party EVHub adapter and imported South Korean first-party Tesla adapters, some people have seen >150 kW from CCS charging?
Yep.

Tesla's made it clear that they're passing on their cost of energy which I imagine is kind of hard when you're uncertain what your demand and your peak rates are going to be.

Anybody who doesn't like the fact that subsidized public chargers cost less than unsubsidized superchargers might want to take that up with their government. Those charger installs are subsidized with public funds and I believe the energy cost is as well

Yep.

Tesla's made it clear that they're passing on their cost of energy which I imagine is kind of hard when you're uncertain what your demand and your peak rates are going to be.

Anybody who doesn't like the fact that subsidized public chargers cost less than unsubsidized superchargers might want to take that up with their government. Those charger installs are subsidized with public funds and I believe the energy cost is as well

Which chargers are you talking about?

I picked up my Model 3 Feb 25 2022 and drove from Calgary to Winnipeg . the supecharger stops cost between $8 t0 $9.95.
When I travelled from Winnipeg to Alberta then BC in late March the costs were $18 to $22! A shocker but Gas is still worse even though Tesla has not updated their Gas saver calculator because it was showing NO savings on Gas Prices . It seemed to be half the cost now but was 20-25% of the cost in Feburary!!
Still love the car but will not do as many long distance trips as I was going to do . only 2X as many but was 5X
oh well....... need to locate more free destination chargers... Accidently found one at Tim Hortons in Morris manitoba . 2 hours and 20% charge free!!!

SIlvio April 29, 2022

Reactions: Lightbulb
The only way to really see it accurately and with current information is in the car itself, selecting Superchargers on the map. And that is only available for ones within a certain radius of the car.
That's not true. You can see the price of any supercharger.... At least ones within 1,000 miles. I just went on a road trip, and I saw the prices in my car of all the superchargers I was going to use in Canada, while they were still 300 miles away... Likewise, when my brother got a Tesla, I looked in my car and was able to tell him the supercharger prices including peak/off-peak at the ones near his house, even tho his house is > 1000 miles from my house.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD
I picked up my Model 3 Feb 25 2022 and drove from Calgary to Winnipeg . the supecharger stops cost between $8 t0 $9.95.
When I travelled from Winnipeg to Alberta then BC in late March the costs were $18 to $22!
Were you using the same superchargers? Were they v2 or v3? That makes a big difference with regards to which tier you are paying for. I know when I was driving thru BC, the tier 4 prices were pretty difference depending on which ones you use. The one I used was 98 cents/minute, but I saw there were some that were $1.35/minute or something like that.... But either way, I was using a v2 supercharger, so the most I got charged was 52 cents a minute, and that was only for 10 minutes, the rest was only 20 cents a minute... (This was a few weeks ago). So tho most I paid for a SC stop in BC was $15.

That's not true. You can see the price of any supercharger.... At least ones within 1,000 miles. I just went on a road trip, and I saw the prices in my car of all the superchargers I was going to use in Canada, while they were still 300 miles away... Likewise, when my brother got a Tesla, I looked in my car and was able to tell him the supercharger prices including peak/off-peak at the ones near his house, even tho his house is > 1000 miles from my house.
Oh, that is an interesting change I had not heard about. The radius used to be really small.

The per kWh price at my local Supercharger went up to $0.43 from $0.30-0.34 per kWh. Roughly a 21% increase. There has been no increase in electricity costs locally. This is plainly a money grab by Tesla, the same as other businesses cashing in on the current economic situation. I'm hoping the US will enact a windfall profits tax on these unscrupulous corporations.

What used to cost ~.24KWh is now almost a dollar in my area. We have cheap power in this part of the country. A price increase is okay, but we have had several in the last year. I'm grateful I do not have to supercharge daily!

Attachments

• B63BBA26-D621-489B-95A3-D03D2D909C95_1_201_a.jpeg
    B63BBA26-D621-489B-95A3-D03D2D909C95_1_201_a.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 166
About a year ago, I drove from Brandon, Manitoba to London, Ontario and it cost ~$100. Two months ago I drove the exact same rout and it cost ~$250. Made me think very seriously about selling the car. Sure, driving around town is great with $0.088 per Kw but when driving costs almost the same as my previous ICE car, I have to question my ownership.
Apple Maps says Brandon, Manitoba to London, Ontario is 1,375 miles (2,213 km). What vehicle would you replace your Model 3 with that could do the same trip for less than $250? It seems like the $250 is for the round trip, so call it 2,750 miles total. At $4/gallon of gas, $250 is 62.5 gallons of gasoline. Your replacement vehicle would need to get 44 mpg at highway speed to cost less for that road trip. That's doable, if you are only looking at fuel costs for road trips, but there are many other costs other than fuel.

You could replace it with another EV, but in general, the Model 3 is one of the most efficient EVs that is currently available. In addition, anything you replace it with wouldn't (currently) have access to the Tesla Supercharger network and companies like Electrify America tend to charge even higher prices per kWh at their stations, making the economics of road tripping in a non-Tesla even worse.

I totally agree that prices at the Supercharger stations have gone up dramatically. Back in 2018, electricity at a Supercharger worked out to be less than the local residential electricity rates, while with recent increases, I now generally pay 3x the local residential rates. Even with fairly frequent Supercharger use for roadtrips, and that cost tripling since 2018, it still is a relatively small portion of the total operating cost (depreciation, maintenance, insurance, electricity). I've charged at 80 unique Supercharger locations throughout the US in the last 4 years of ownership.

Since you mention the cheap electricity at home for driving around town, what's you ratio of Supercharger to home charging? I've got 66,000 miles on my 3 and over that time, I've consumed 17,464 kWh at home and 4,089 kWh at Superchargers, so 19% of my total kWh have come from Superchargers.

Also, while per kWh pricing has gone up dramatically, the per minutes pricing that @densum87 showed is even worse. It used to be that per minute pricing was VERY cheap, especially if you disconnected at about 50% state of charge. That's apparently no longer the case when Tesla switched from 2 tiers to 4 tiers on the per minute pricing.

Apple Maps says Brandon, Manitoba to London, Ontario is 1,375 miles (2,213 km). What vehicle would you replace your Model 3 with that could do the same trip for less than $250? It seems like the $250 is for the round trip, so call it 2,750 miles total. At $4/gallon of gas, $250 is 62.5 gallons of gasoline. Your replacement vehicle would need to get 44 mpg at highway speed to cost less for that road trip. That's doable, if you are only looking at fuel costs for road trips, but there are many other costs other than fuel.

You could replace it with another EV, but in general, the Model 3 is one of the most efficient EVs that is currently available. In addition, anything you replace it with wouldn't (currently) have access to the Tesla Supercharger network and companies like Electrify America tend to charge even higher prices per kWh at their stations, making the economics of road tripping in a non-Tesla even worse.

I totally agree that prices at the Supercharger stations have gone up dramatically. Back in 2018, electricity at a Supercharger worked out to be less than the local residential electricity rates, while with recent increases, I now generally pay 3x the local residential rates. Even with fairly frequent Supercharger use for roadtrips, and that cost tripling since 2018, it still is a relatively small portion of the total operating cost (depreciation, maintenance, insurance, electricity). I've charged at 80 unique Supercharger locations throughout the US in the last 4 years of ownership.

Since you mention the cheap electricity at home for driving around town, what's you ratio of Supercharger to home charging? I've got 66,000 miles on my 3 and over that time, I've consumed 17,464 kWh at home and 4,089 kWh at Superchargers, so 19% of my total kWh have come from Superchargers.

Also, while per kWh pricing has gone up dramatically, the per minutes pricing that @densum87 showed is even worse. It used to be that per minute pricing was VERY cheap, especially if you disconnected at about 50% state of charge. That's apparently no longer the case when Tesla switched from 2 tiers to 4 tiers on the per minute pricing.
My issue is that within a years time we went from .24/min to .88/min while electrify America is still at .35/min (even cheaper with their pass). Increases are fine, all that is expected. This is a massive increase! No mention from Elon as to why, we just have to speculate. Luckily we now have a choice with EA and supercharger now.

My issue is that within a years time we went from .24/min to .88/min while electrify America is still at .35/min (even cheaper with their pass). Increases are fine, all that is expected. This is a massive increase! No mention from Elon as to why, we just have to speculate. Luckily we now have a choice with EA and supercharger now.
Electrify America is actually $0.24/min with Pass+ and $0.32/min without Pass+.

Not a round trip and it was the Canadian route as we were not allowed to cross the border at that time, so about 2500Km. About $500 RT. I could ALMOST fly there for the same $. I do most of my mileage on long trips - one reason I bought the M3. If I wanted a around town car, I would have purchased something that is CAD $30000-$40000 thousand dollars less than the TM3.

Not a round trip and it was the Canadian route as we were not allowed to cross the border at that time, so about 2500Km. About $500 RT. I could ALMOST fly there for the same $. I do most of my mileage on long trips - one reason I bought the M3. If I wanted a around town car, I would have purchased something that is CAD $30000-$40000 thousand dollars less than the TM3.
Sounds like you should order an Aptera to replace your 3. :)