TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Huge THANK YOU to existing owner

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Omer, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Omer

Omer Member

Yesterday afternoon I was running some errands at an outdoor mall in Estero FL and saw my first production Model S. About a year ago I saw a pre-production model at the Dania Beach FL store but I really wasn't too impressed. The fit and finish was lacking and the materials/quality weren't great, software wasn't very functional and obviously it wasn't available for a test drive.

Fast forward to yesterday; when I saw the car I immediately swerved to try and park quickly so i could get out and ask the owners some questions before they left. I was expecting a curt response about the car. Instead the owner was amazingly gracious, left the store he was in and immediately offered to have me get in the car to show me all the features. A few minutes later we were tearing through some back roads. Wow!! That's one amazing car. He even stopped and asked me to drive! My first time ever driving an electric car. I really can't say enough about his gracious kindness with his new 2 day old Tesla. The fit and finish is miles ahead of the pre-production I saw. The alcantara and quality leather, stitching etc. are beautiful. 5 minutes in it was obviously going to be my next car. Called the dealer this morning and put down the deposit. I'll be getting an identical car to what he has, it's perfect - 85kw performance in white fully loaded.

I'm sure as more cars are delivered and more people see/drive this car, sales should increase rapidly. Only down side is now I have to sit and wait ... any way to speed up my production?

Thank you again to the owner, I'll be sure to pay-it-forward when I get my car.

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Welcome to the thread, Omer. :) Driving electric really does sell itself, doesn't it?

:)

3. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Thanks, Omer. And thank you, anonymous owner.

We owners should all take this story to heart, and give as many rides as possible. They are by far the best way to sell more plug-ins. (The first few days we had our car I spent driving around to possibly interested people and giving them rides; my wife eventually asked for her car back, but I still manage to sneak some in here and there).

4. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

We call it Tesla Time. Owners typically plan additional time for their errands because they can't go anywhere without being asked about the car. Glad he had so much time to spend with you.

Unfortunately, there is no longer any way to get your car sooner. You used to be able to skip ahead by upgrading to a signature series, but they have been sold out for a long time. You could ask Tesla to put you on the waiting list, but there is almost zero chance of enough sigs dropping for you to get in at this point.

Welcome to the forums, prepare to spend a lot of time here.

5. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

This is a great story. I hope that if this time comes I will have the time to spend with the next prospective reservation holder!

6. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Wow ... let you drive even .... I'm not sure I could handle that! Way cool of him.

7. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Omer, if it is any consolation I've been waiting 2 years now and with any luck will see my car at the end of the year.

I'm glad to hear your positive experience because I put my deposit down without seeing/driving the car. (I have since...)

/Ed

8. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

1310 days here ....

9. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Another thing I thought of is this...

1.) Tesla hasn't started advertising on TV or print yet (to the best of my knowledge) so "referrals" are the best advertising after the stores
    2.) I got solar panels installed last year and get a $500 referral bonus if someone buys a system through the same company and mentions my name...
    (I think at one point they had a program whereby even if they scheduled an appointment I got a gift card...)

Tesla, step up to the plate :)

But perhaps I'm veering off on a tangent here...

/Ed

10. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

That is awesome Omer, and another thank you to the anonymous Tesla owner! Driving these cars really will sell a ton of them.

As for stepping up marketing, that is the absolute last thing Tesla should be putting any energy or resources.
    The most critical thing for Tesla is to continue ramping up production and delivery to the current reservation holders.
    Once they have less than a 4-5 month backlog, the I could see some marketing. But I fully expect word of mouth and owners sharing their experience to do all the marketing Tesla needs for at least a year.

11. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Ditto!

12. Zextraterrestrial

I would think they will wait until the loan is payed off in full to do any real marketing. word of mouth and product placement is all they really need
    and it may be more than enough

+ awesome story! thanks to the S owner that is cool enough to let a stranger drive a new baby

13. TESLAficionado

that is the reason why Tesla will succeed in the end... great story, cool Model S owner

14. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

I just promised first ride/drive privilieges to a State Legislator on the transporation committee yesterday!

15. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

My brother-in-law gets the first non-family drive (my wife and daughter will certainly partake). Technically he "is" family, but we get along so well, I sometimes forget.

16. Tesla229

Tesla229 Member

VERY cool! And what state might that be??

17. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

great story!

18. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

*v12 to 12v* is in WA I believe.

19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Well, the NY and MA Dealers Associations have kindly offered to split marketing costs with them in those states.

20. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Omer...glad to hear you had an awesome Tesla experience. Welcome to forum!!!