Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Huge Vibration on Highway then gone? Anyone have info?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mentioned that the vibration came on after 2-3 minutes and that reducing speed did not affect the vibration. My question is did the vibration stay constant regardless of speed? i.e. tat-tat-tat-tat-tat at say 115kph and the same tat-tat-tat-tat-tat at 70kph or did it change to tat----tat----tat at 70kph? That would make me think it was something to do with wheels. I know it was a weird way to write it but it was all I could think of! LOL

You mentioned that the vibration came on after 2-3 minutes and that reducing speed did not affect the vibration. My question is did the vibration stay constant regardless of speed? i.e. tat-tat-tat-tat-tat at say 115kph and the same tat-tat-tat-tat-tat at 70kph or did it change to tat----tat----tat at 70kph? That would make me think it was something to do with wheels. I know it was a weird way to write it but it was all I could think of! LOL
I'm pretty sure that the caliper was constantly pressing the brake pads against the driver side rear rotor and it didn't really cause an issue vibration or performance wise until it heated up to a certain point when I was going highway speeds. This would explain being able to pull over and not having the vibration issue again after a couple minutes of sitting.

I'm pretty sure that the caliper was constantly pressing the brake pads against the driver side rear rotor and it didn't really cause an issue vibration or performance wise until it heated up to a certain point when I was going highway speeds. This would explain being able to pull over and not having the vibration issue again after a couple minutes of sitting.
Glad to hear you got it resolved. Must have been quite a fright as it starting juddering so strong!

Good to hear that they fixed it!. Was it the hydraulic part of a rear caliper or the electric part, which does the Park function? Interesting that they replaced both sides..

I have had several Model S loaners from the Watertown service center. They were all in chill mode and felt big, heavy, and not as agile as the Model 3P.

Good to hear that they fixed it!. Was it the hydraulic part of a rear caliper or the electric part, which does the Park function? Interesting that they replaced both sides..

I have had several Model S loaners from the Watertown service center. They were all in chill mode and felt big, heavy, and not as agile as the Model 3P.
I felt exactly the same thing when I test drove an S. Nowhere near as nimble and 'pointable' as the 3

Reactions: TonyJag

Not sure what the issue was. I'll have to send them a message and ask. The whole process has been awesome so far though. They picked up the M3P on a flatbed, sent me a loaner S the next day when the realized they'd have my car for a few days. Once service is done, I'm pretty sure they'll send my M3P back on a flatbed and pick up the S. Wonderful considering I'm 170 kms from the service center.

I'm really disappointed that the S is in Chill mode. Especially after getting used to driving the M3P. It feels heavy and feels like it accelerates slower than my '17 Santa Fe...

I felt exactly the same thing when I test drove an S. Nowhere near as nimble and 'pointable' as the 3
They're completely different market segments really though. There really can't be a comparison between the two. The S is really good at being a Heavy Saloon car that smooths out most of the bumps in the road. The M3P is really good at being a little Rocket Ship where you feel every crack in the road. I'd be interested to get behind the wheel of a Plaid S sometime though to see if some of the heavy feeling goes away with having more power.

Reactions: TonyJag