Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Humble Motors SUV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California

Now, another California-based electric vehicle startup, Humble Motors, has revealed their concept SUV with a solar roof design they've named the Humble One. Instead of a glass roof, the Humble One has over 80 square feet of engineered photovoltaic cells that capture sunlight and transform it into energy. This generates enough electrical power to increase driving range by nearly 60 miles a day. The Humble One concept SUV is 198 inches long, or just a little longer than a Toyota Corolla. It is shorter than the Tesla Cybertuck, and the weight, at 4,000 pounds, is fifteen hundred pounds lighter. The Humble One has been engineered to be as lightweight as possible while also comfortably fitting four people.

Woohoo! Another SUV, and now "Powered by SUNLIGHT!!!" Well, my cars are powered by sunlight, and I actually have two sitting here. As there's no mention of a plug, or a charging network, or even its "LONG range", I wonder how that works for a trip. I guess it takes several hours to charge, and that's if it's not cloudy. Doesn't look like Tesla will need to worry about this contender.

But it's good that EVs are becoming more popular, although "reservations" don't mean much.

Reactions: Brando and mspohr
The FAQ does note that it can be charged via outlets and EV charging.
Woohoo! Another SUV, and now "Powered by SUNLIGHT!!!" Well, my cars are powered by sunlight, and I actually have two sitting here. As there's no mention of a plug, or a charging network, or even its "LONG range", I wonder how that works for a trip. I guess it takes several hours to charge, and that's if it's not cloudy. Doesn't look like Tesla will need to worry about this contender.

But it's good that EVs are becoming more popular, although "reservations" don't mean much.
The FAQ section notes it the battery as having a (calculated) 500 mile range and being able to charge via outlets and EV charging and fast charging (presumably Level 2 and Level 3).

Reactions: mspohr
Oh geez. A high efficiency solar panel is 18 sq ft. In size. If they can cram 4.4 of them onto the roof .. well let’s suppose they can. So the car can generate 340 watts x 4.4 = 1,496 watts. A really efficiency SUV was use about 350 watts per mile, so that’s about 3 miles of range recouped per hour. To say you could get 60 miles of range per day would require 20 hours of perfectly positioned sunlight.

In other words if you were in northern Alaska on June 21, had the car on a ramp, and kept rotating that ramp during the day, you could maybe get 60 miles of range.

Elsewhere 10 miles is about all you’d see. Hardly worth it.

Anyways, wake me up when they have a factory and production cars, yawn.