Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hummer EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a former Chevy Bolt owner, I would not even consider the Hummer until it had a few years of production. This is the first application of their Ultium battery packs. Typically, GM needs a few years to iron out anything new that they sell.
I bought a 1st gen GM product new (2008 Pontiac G8 GT). It was a great car, but in the shop a lot (all under warranty). It was inconvenient, but that's the price you pay for having the latest and greatest. I knew that going-in so it wasn't a surprise, but the car got a lot of praise for the first couple of years.

Definitely seems like it is going to be a beast. Lot of weight to move to get those performance specs. It's nice seeing some of the Edition 1's getting in the hands of buyers this month and last. Unfortunately not a lot of youtube videos yet from these folks. Hoping to see some more reviews from actual consumers instead of just the auto press.

Sounds like production is ramping up nicely as well. I put in late for my reservation, so I'm hoping I get one in 2022 but not holding my breath.

Definitely seems like it is going to be a beast. Lot of weight to move to get those performance specs. It's nice seeing some of the Edition 1's getting in the hands of buyers this month and last. Unfortunately not a lot of youtube videos yet from these folks. Hoping to see some more reviews from actual consumers instead of just the auto press.

Sounds like production is ramping up nicely as well. I put in late for my reservation, so I'm hoping I get one in 2022 but not holding my breath.
*sigh...The Hummer is just as absurd as its ICEV counterpart. I do hope you enjoy the vehicle, but I find it completely obscene as an EV.

My '19 Ford Raptor is hitting on average 12 mpg. 47 MPGe isn't the best but still better than my current truck. As we see more auto manufacturers coming into the electric market we will have options on all parts of the efficiency spectrum (commuter cars to high performance trucks/cars). Personally, I never bought ICE cars based on their fuel efficiency. When I bought my first Tesla it was for the performance and tech. It's good to have options.

Reactions: coleAK
200+kWH battery... we used to say "it's too expensive to fill a Hummer's gas tank!" Now we say "it's too expensive to charge a Hummer's battery pack"... and for home charge at 11.5kw, this gonna take 20 hours! Defeated the purpose completely. BTW I love the look, but I'll pass
Come on. What are you comparing it to? A model 3? Do you compare mpg of a Honda Civic to a land cruiser?

This is a off road beast on 35’s. Comparable ICE trucks will get <10-12 mpg. I’m at 11-12 mpg in my built LX570. That is ~$100 for me to go 300 miles. In the hummer home charging, rack rate without my solar (I pay 0.21/kWh) would be ~$40 to go 300 miles.

Come on. What are you comparing it to? A model 3? Do you compare mpg of a Honda Civic to a land cruiser?

This is a off road beast on 35’s. Comparable ICE trucks will get <10-12 mpg. I’m at 11-12 mpg in my built LX570. That is ~$100 for me to go 300 miles. In the hummer home charging, rack rate without my solar (I pay 0.21/kWh) would be ~$40 to go 300 miles.

Well, the Rivian R1T seems to also be a particularly capable off-roader, with similar range and seating capacity, with greater towing capacity...while weighing almost 2,000 lbs less.

Certainly, you can build an EV off-roader that weighs less, and is more efficient, than the Hummer.

Last edited:
Certainly, you can build an EV off-roader that weighs less, and is more efficient, than the Hummer.

Rivian has done just that with their mid-size roughly Toyota Tacoma sized pickup. Big market out there for that size truck. However, Hummer EV and Cybertruck are more in the F-150+ range. Different size vehicles with different expectations around efficiency. Same as ICE trucks of different sizes.

Hummer EV had to get over the 300 mile range mark with brute force (massive battery) while the Cybertruck, on paper, will top that mark and more with their battery tech advantage and aerodynamics of their design.

We are now entering the world of a multitude of EV options vs. what we had previously. i.e., commuter EV's with short-range, a few short-range luxury models, and tesla pumping out performance long-range "cool" EV's. I'm looking forward to the quad motor CT when mine ships, but it is kind of nice now that we don't have to just wait on Tesla because there are no other options. I'm still all about me some Tesla, but hopefully they realize extensive delays (CT/roadster) won't fly in a more crowded market.

Rivian has done just that with their mid-size roughly Toyota Tacoma sized pickup. Big market out there for that size truck. However, Hummer EV and Cybertruck are more in the F-150+ range. Different size vehicles with different expectations around efficiency. Same as ICE trucks of different sizes.

Hummer EV had to get over the 300 mile range mark with brute force (massive battery) while the Cybertruck, on paper, will top that mark and more with their battery tech advantage and aerodynamics of their design.

We are now entering the world of a multitude of EV options vs. what we had previously. i.e., commuter EV's with short-range, a few short-range luxury models, and tesla pumping out performance long-range "cool" EV's. I'm looking forward to the quad motor CT when mine ships, but it is kind of nice now that we don't have to just wait on Tesla because there are no other options. I'm still all about me some Tesla, but hopefully they realize extensive delays (CT/roadster) won't fly in a more crowded market.
It's great that there are more options. It's just that GM didn't have to design the Hummer EV to be this energy hungry, they chose to.

I can understand the attraction of the HUMMER, but I don't think anyone can make a reasonable argument for its practicality.

Definitely not practical for most use cases but that is part of the fun. An AMG Mercedes and a base C class can drive through any coffee line just the same. Got to push the car/truck to its limits (track for that AMG and off road for the Hummer) to see the practical use case of these high performance vehicles.

GM wanted a conventional Hummer design with big performance #'s (HP, torque, and 0-60 times). Seems like their battery tech isn't there and/or the bulky design really dragged efficiency, so they went the route of just adding more battery cells which in turn added weight and then we ended up with a massive battery and an even heavier truck.

If used for what it is built to be able to do... the Hummer EV is practical. If used to fetch coffee in suburbia... not so practical. In either case I'd imagine MPGe not to be a big concern for the buyer. This isn't a commuter car where efficiency is the primary focus. Same will be said of the CT.

Reactions: coleAK

Talking about size, isn't the Hummer EV only like an inch longer than the R1T? And about 20" short of an F150 (lightning)?

Well, the Rivian R1T seems to also be a particularly capable off-roader, with similar range and seating capacity, with greater towing capacity...while weighing almost 2,000 lbs less.

I would bet the Hummer will be head and shoulders better then the R1T off road. 20” rims as the smallest option on the Rivian doesn’t give much room to air down. 35” tires on 18” rims is a massive difference over 20” with 33.5”. Really on a truck you want the rim to be about half the tire diameter. Also the videos I’ve seen of the rivian it has fairly poor articulation. Haven’t seen a Hummer articulation. But on paper the hummer has it.

And yes I agree most people will not off road either more then parking on grass at their kids soccer/lacrosse game or hopping a curb at car pickup, the more extreme May take a dirt road from time to time. Me I off road my trucks (current LX570, before that g500) fairly hard to get to the backcountry access we love here in Alaska. So for me it matters, but then if I didn’t off road I’d probably drive a model Y-P.