Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Humming/buzzing from DU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About two weeks ago I started noticing a buzzing/humming noise coming from one of my DU’s. I suspect the rear. It also feels a lot more jarring when letting off the accelerator at low speeds. Almost like an inaudible clunk. Has anyone else experienced this and with what result?
I made an appt but with the covid practices can’t ride with the tech to show them the noise so trying to figure out the best way to describe it to them when I drop off the car.

Reactions: Greenms60
@Alysashley79 I have the same issue.. Low speeds accelerator to regen, I feel and hear a clunk sound.. At any speed above 20 or so, I can feel some play,slack or gear lash in the driveline... I took it in 15 months ago.... They snugged everything up and swapped out some seals and said "it's withing spec" or something to that nature..... It felt like it got worse (could just be me), so I scheduled another appointment and they thought it might be the suspension components (car has 93k on it), nope..... It needs the drive unit replaced.. They did say it would be a good idea for me to swap out the upper and toe link on the suspension because most of the labor will be covered when they replace the drive unit...

Mine is going i
@Alysashley79 I have the same issue.. Low speeds accelerator to regen, I feel and hear a clunk sound.. At any speed above 20 or so, I can feel some play,slack or gear lash in the driveline... I took it in 15 months ago.... They snugged everything up and swapped out some seals and said "it's withing spec" or something to that nature..... It felt like it got worse (could just be me), so I scheduled another appointment and they thought it might be the suspension components (car has 93k on it), nope..... It needs the drive unit replaced.. They did say it would be a good idea for me to swap out the upper and toe link on the suspension because most of the labor will be covered when they replace the drive unit...
mine is going back again Wednesday to hopefully get replaced this time. Last time they said “within spec” it’s just gotten louder and louder and it’s a little embarrassing when people keep asking what is that sound and I thought your car was silent. Not so much anymore.

Reactions: Greenms60