Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Humming Noise Parked and Fully Charged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My two week old model 3 is making a constant humming noise parked in my garage and full charged. Interior temp is 50. So far i have noticed this but it always shuts off. Tonight it seems constant. Is this normal behavior? Shouldn’t it turn off eventually? Everything is off. Car parked. Windows folded. Sentry off. Thanks.

Are you charging (in general) off 120v power?

You'll need/want to get a higher power outlet so that your charging is more efficient in the cold temps.

Don't believe what you see (not charging, 50F). It could be that the battery is much colder than the interior temp, and if its not charging or preparing to charge, why the hum?

Last edited:
Are you charging (in general) off 120v power?

You'll need/want to get a higher power outlet so that your charging is more efficient in the cold temps.

Don't believe what you see (not charging, 50F). It could be that the battery is much colder than the interior temp, and if its not charging or preparing to charge, why the hum?
I’m running a 15 40 plug at home. Interior temps are 50 but garage is closer to 40F.

If it's a pretty quiet hum, it's probably just the coolant pumps. Basically, these run whenever the car is awake (as basically anything needing cooling, including the main computers, are liquid cooled). Your car can be awake for a very long list of reasons.

For example, you noted the interior temp is 50F. You probably noticed this in the app, right? Opening the app wakes the vehicle, and it will stay awake for a bit after.

Other than that, it might be downloading updates, drying the evaporator with a fan (part of the AC), cycling coolant for some other reason, etc. Lots of things it could be doing.

Reactions: Phlier and GtiMart
If it's a pretty quiet hum, it's probably just the coolant pumps. Basically, these run whenever the car is awake (as basically anything needing cooling, including the main computers, are liquid cooled). Your car can be awake for a very long list of reasons.

For example, you noted the interior temp is 50F. You probably noticed this in the app, right? Opening the app wakes the vehicle, and it will stay awake for a bit after.

Other than that, it might be downloading updates, drying the evaporator with a fan (part of the AC), cycling coolant for some other reason, etc. Lots of things it could be doing.

thanks. Yes it was very quiet. Coming from under the hood near the windshield. It definitely ran for 2 or 3 hours. Is it just cooling or could it also be heating? I did check the app but only after I noticed the car was humming.

Just as an addition to the list, it could also be charging the 12v battery from the DC/DC convertor.

Yeah, our cars are busy little things, even when parked in the garage.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
My two week old model 3 is making a constant humming noise parked in my garage and full charged. Interior temp is 50. So far i have noticed this but it always shuts off. Tonight it seems constant. Is this normal behavior? Shouldn’t it turn off eventually? Everything is off. Car parked. Windows folded. Sentry off. Thanks.

This:

it could also be charging the 12v battery from the DC/DC convertor.

The car will spend an hour or two each day charging the 12V battery, assuming you haven't been driving it or charging the HV battery recently, and during this time it will make the humming noise. If you use certain third-party apps, it may do this more often (and that's not a good thing). (If you have, the solution is to change your password - logging out of the apps won't help.)

During this period, a little over 14V will be applied to the 12V battery (it's injecting a controlled current into the battery during this time). When it's done, the voltage will drop (DC-DC off, so 12V battery now is supplying current), to around 13.6V, and subsequently be allowed to decay to just under 13V (about 12.8V for my car), and then the cycle will repeat.

If you're driving the car, or it's waiting for a download or something, or you're in sentry mode, and the battery doesn't need charging, the DC-DC will "maintain" at 13.4V.

This:

The car will spend an hour or two each day charging the 12V battery, assuming you haven't been driving it or charging the HV battery recently, and during this time it will make the humming noise. If you use certain third-party apps, it may do this more often (and that's not a good thing). (If you have, the solution is to change your password - logging out of the apps won't help.)

During this period, a little over 14V will be applied to the 12V battery (it's injecting a controlled current into the battery during this time). When it's done, the voltage will drop (DC-DC off, so 12V battery now is supplying current), to around 13.6V, and subsequently be allowed to decay to just under 13V (about 12.8V for my car), and then the cycle will repeat.

If you're driving the car, or it's waiting for a download or something, or you're in sentry mode, and the battery doesn't need charging, the DC-DC will "maintain" at 13.4V.
Thanks guys. Definitely glad to hear there is nothing to see here.

Also you may want to avoid keeping your battery fully charged to preserve its lifespan.