Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Humming noise when in reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone take delivery of a model 3 this month who is noticing a humming noise when in reverse?

Apparently any cars manufactured from September 1st onwards now have a pedestrian safety noise when reversing. Sounds like a spaceship.

Anyone take delivery of a model 3 this month who is noticing a humming noise when in reverse?

Apparently any cars manufactured from September 1st onwards now have a pedestrian safety noise when reversing. Sounds like a spaceship.

My Model 3 LR AWD with a little over 200 miles on it hums when in reverse, so am I to take it that this is the warning sound that Tesla has implemented to warn pedestrians of a moving car?

if its 11pm at night, would you use a horn just to let people know you are backing up?

while I truly hate the beeping sound that is mandated for trucks, when they back up, I do think that having some sound on the silent electric vehicles is useful at low speeds; if for no other reason than we have 'the walking brain-dead' as the current generation. they all stare down at their phones, while out and about. its like its impossible for them to walk and not be staring at some handheld touchscreen thingie.

add to it the fact that those stupid white earbuds (apple airpods and fakes) are everywhere, so not only do we have people who refuse to SEE what is around them, they now refuse to HEAR what is around them.

yes, we need sounds on ultra silent cars. I hate that we need it, but we do need it.

I wish we could program them with a sound of your choice.
Something from Star Wars or even the fart sounds.

1 year later...
Wish granted!
Although I don't know if the new holiday update let's you replace the other sound or if it's in addition to it. And I guess Boombox won't work for those of us that disconnected the speakers (unless you reconnect them, of course, but then you have the UFO sound again. )

Reactions: madmax240
Miss Gunner said:
Bought our model Y 1 week ago, reported to Tesla Service, reply; it’s the back up pedestrian warning...

Yeah, I made a service appointment for my '21 3, but cancelled when I read the noise was the pedestrian warning system. The sound comes from a speaker in the front bumper behind the the right front tire wheel-well and the wire to the speaker can be disconnected. The noise sounds like something squealing or rubbing. People react as if something is wrong with the car...just like I did! The same speaker gives a less loud and more pleasant sound when the car is in drive, too, but can't be heard from inside the car.

Yeah, I made a service appointment for my '21 3, but cancelled when I read the noise was the pedestrian warning system. The sound comes from a speaker in the front bumper behind the the right front tire wheel-well and the wire to the speaker can be disconnected. The noise sounds like something squealing or rubbing. People react as if something is wrong with the car...just like I did! The same speaker gives a less loud and more pleasant sound when the car is in drive, too, but can't be heard from inside the car.
You should be able to change the sound if you want via the Boombox app in either the toy box or the entertainment section. Can even put a sound file on a usb stick and select that.

My rental car was definitely louder than the ufo reversing sounds. My neighbors were given me the stink eye.

Attachments

• 20210316_104239.jpg
    20210316_104239.jpg
    818.1 KB · Views: 464