Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Humming noise while parked in garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New in 2019.12.1.2 - If you used A/C at all during your drive, the car will air out your evaporator so you don't get smelly smells. It starts 15 minutes after you park and goes on for 15-20 minutes before it stops.

Thanks. I don’t remember seeing this in the release notes. How did you hear about it?

Also, I can certainly imagine instances where this would not be a good idea. Anyone in Nor Cal will remember the heavy wildfire smoke that was experienced last year. I’d rather have a wet sock smell than have my cabin filled with smoke.

New in 2019.12.1.2 - If you used A/C at all during your drive, the car will air out your evaporator so you don't get smelly smells. It starts 15 minutes after you park and goes on for 15-20 minutes before it stops.
well, this would certainly explain why my car doesnt go to sleep the first hour after i parked it... Im still trying to figure out the sleeping schedule of the Model 3

I turned off sentry mode and cabin overheat as I thought that may be the culprit but it still keeps humming along.

Tesla Virtual Diagnostics team contacted me and after reviewing my files and recordings determined that a 3rd party app (TeslaFI) was causing the computer fan to run nonstop to prevent overheating. I changed my tesla password, stopped my app from contacting the car, and low and behold the fan stopped. No more noise!

I have HW3, maybe the teslafi app software needs to be updated for the new computer... I never had a problem with the app and my 2013 S

I’ll be monitoring over the weekend -

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Thanks for sharing... that's a really good feature to have to avoid the dirty sock smells.

Serious question here: Along with the noisy fan in my garage which I have also experienced after drives parked in my garage, I believe I am for the first time after almost 1 year of ownership experiencing musty/ weird smells upon re-entering the vehicle. I have noticed this mainly after being parked somewhere for about 30-90 mins in between drives and then re-entering the car, it kind of smells really weird, then it will go away after a bit with the A/C running and recirculating, etc.

I did not experience this musty kind of smell prior to around update 12.1.2 and now I am on 16.2. I believe it started happening around the same time as the loud fan while parked. Is anyone experiencing the funky smells inside your car too? Also, it has been raining pretty good here in Houston in May so I thought initially, I had some water seep inside the vehicle, but I could not determine that to be the case. However, it rained again hard this afternoon and I smelled it again this evening strongly. I am very confused.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: Enginerd
Is it like a mildew smell? I'd check the air filter first for contamination. Then I'd see if Tesla can inspect / repair or treat your A/C system. Here's some info on airborne bacteria and fungi growth in A/C systems. There may be services in your area that treat the A/C with ozone, but I'd start with Tesla.

The collection of particulate organic material and condensation of moisture that occurs around the drip pans, condensation coils and duct work of air conditioning units creates the perfect environment for the growth of bio films. Not only do these lead to high levels of fungi and bacteria that become airborne and get transported around the building via air recirculation, but they also reduce the efficiency and heat transfer of the systems. Airborne bacteria and fungi do not only present a major health hazard but also bad smell.

By treating the air conditioning system with ozone, you can prevent the build up of bio films, and consequently the build up of bacteria and fungi. This will eliminate bad smell and the spread of health problems such as allergies, rashes, colds, viruses and legionnaires disease. Ozone is not only the most powerful oxidant treatment there is, but the equipment has very low maintenance costs, consequently making ozone not only the most efficient treatment option, but also one of the simplest.
Source: Air Conditioning | Ozonetech

Also found these tips online:
Model S owners say that the Air filter is usually the cause of the moldy odor in your car.

There is one easy thing you can do. If the cause of the moldy smell in your car is the air filter, then turn your AC off a few minutes before you arrive at your destination. This allows the moisture in the system to dry. Don't turn off your fan when you turn off the AC though. Otherwise the air filter will not dry and the moldy odor will not be eliminated.

Alternatively, you can switch the air from interior to exterior every 15 minutes or so while driving. It lubricates the hoses and odor should go away. According to people who have tried this method of moldy odor removal, the smell should go away and it should work perfectly after 3-4 days.

Another cause of the moldy odor can be a clogged AC drain line. Just like the home HVAC systems get clogged all the time, the same can happen with a car. To check it look under your Tesla after the AC has been running for a few minutes to see if water is running out the bottom.

If these things don't help and the moldy odor is not removed, you may need to take your Model S to the nearby service center to be checked professionally.
Source: Moldy Odor in Tesla Model S, Here Is The Removal | Torque News

Tesla Virtual Diagnostics team contacted me and after reviewing my files and recordings determined that a 3rd party app (TeslaFI) was causing the computer fan to run nonstop to prevent overheating. I changed my tesla password, stopped my app from contacting the car, and low and behold the fan stopped. No more noise!

I have HW3, maybe the teslafi app software needs to be updated for the new computer... I never had a problem with the app and my 2013 S

Thanks! I had the same issue. I noticed this same noise on my Model 3 after upgrading to 2019.24.4. I assumed this was causing the noise. I killed my trial Teslafi account and the noise went away. I have HW2.5.

Thanks. I don’t remember seeing this in the release notes. How did you hear about it?

Also, I can certainly imagine instances where this would not be a good idea. Anyone in Nor Cal will remember the heavy wildfire smoke that was experienced last year. I’d rather have a wet sock smell than have my cabin filled with smoke.

Just the other day I parked my 3 in a garage and returned about 10 mins later. The entire cabin smelled of wet socks and car exhaust.

It really would be nice to have the option to disable this feature.

My week old model 3 seems to never shut down, It makes a whirring noise all the time. Garage is 60-70 degrees F and it doesn’t seem to be a fan noise. My model S was dead silent sitting in the garage. I’ve also noticed a constant battery drain of about a mile a hour. I will link a YouTube recording of my sound.
I hear the same thing....and I'm losing 5-10 miles every night. Not sure if this is why.

Yup! This worked for me! Thanks all! Stupid teslafi!

Reactions: lUtriaNt