Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Humming noise while parked in garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Twice in the past week I’ve entered my garage and been greeted by my 3 making a noticeable humming noise. Tonight I was able to reach in throuh the drivers window (which I had left open) and I could feel air blowing down in the footwell.

My initial thought was that I accidentally switched climate control on with the app but the app shows climate control is off. I the opened the door and immediately the fan switched off.

Garage is 70 F so there is no reason for any thermal management/cabin overheat. What’s going on?

I never went digging for any fan running in the cabin. But it could simply be your car is not sleeping. Lots of stuff runs and hums when car is not sleeping.

Mine has been a ton better the last month with warmer temps and newer builds.

Note that Sentry mode will prevent the car from sleeping. Also apps might affect it.

The car does stay awake randomly at times but it never runs the cabin fan while doing so (at least not until this past week). This had nothing to do with the battery or other internal components since it wasn’t the radiator but rather the cabin fan that was running.

My car is also doing this, I heard it one other time (definitely the cabin fan running you can hear it at the intake for the cabin fan right side of upper firewall. Last time I opened the door and it shut off. This time I will let it run for a bit and check the battery usage. Sure its a software bug, but how long will it run for? Will update later.

Seems it shut off after about 20 min.

Last edited:
the humming on mine was minimal for the first year. But got louder over time. The other week I mentioned it when I took my car in and they replaced the fans upfront and haven't herd a thing sense. I believe the replaced a cooling fan under the front drivers corner. Just going by the information the service centre gave me. Not too sure if the model 3 has the same fans

Last edited:
My week old model 3 seems to never shut down, It makes a whirring noise all the time. Garage is 60-70 degrees F and it doesn’t seem to be a fan noise. My model S was dead silent sitting in the garage. I’ve also noticed a constant battery drain of about a mile a hour. I will link a YouTube recording of my sound.

My week old model 3 seems to never shut down, It makes a whirring noise all the time. Garage is 60-70 degrees F and it doesn’t seem to be a fan noise. My model S was dead silent sitting in the garage. I’ve also noticed a constant battery drain of about a mile a hour. I will link a YouTube recording of my sound.

Ya that's the same humming sound I was having on my model S. Has since gone away since the new fans have been installed. They replaced them without any hesitation. Hard to tell from the video but mine was fairly loud

My car is also doing this, I heard it one other time (definitely the cabin fan running you can hear it at the intake for the cabin fan right side of upper firewall. Last time I opened the door and it shut off. This time I will let it run for a bit and check the battery usage. Sure its a software bug, but how long will it run for? Will update later.

Seems it shut off after about 20 min.
My car is now doing the same thing after a drive and parked in he garage, something keeps running for around twenty minutes. It has been hot here lately so that may have something to do with it. I have only noticed this after software update 16.2.

• Helpful
Reactions: apacheguy
Cabin fan if the computer was communicating with the alien mother ship and it needs cooling.

Garage was 70 F and I had the front windows open so nothing was overheating. Besides, the infotainment system is liquid cooled in the 3 and it is independent of the cabin conditioning system.

Anything like this ? Uploadfiles.io - Download 1019CA0D-407F-43C6-BDA3-E6239693E381.MOV for free
First link fails on iOS for some reason:
Gofile - File sharing platform, anonymous and free

First time it’s this loud but also first road trip since 209.16.2...
This was after going back to the car after a while to get something. Opened the door and fan kicked in. I’m assuming AC compressor or something like it.

Nah, mines nowhere near as loud as that. You definitely had the compressor running whereas my noise is due to the cabin fan only.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333