Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Humming sound after car is parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I am new to Tesla and just picked up my M3SR+ today. I noticed that after I parked andl eft the car and locked it, the car still makes a humming sound from the frunk. Maybe it is from the heat pump. I tried manually turning of climate control and it still has the sound. Is that normal? Does it go away in a while after the car is parked?

Thanks.

Hi guys,

I am new to Tesla and just picked up my M3SR+ today. I noticed that after I parked andl eft the car and locked it, the car still makes a humming sound from the frunk. Maybe it is from the heat pump. I tried manually turning of climate control and it still has the sound. Is that normal? Does it go away in a while after the car is parked?

Thanks.

It's normal. The car's just shuffling heat around to optimize battery/motor/interior temps.

Reactions: BeeGood and dmurphy
Hi guys,

Thanks.

As @XPsionic said, it’s totally normal. You’ll even hear noises at somewhat random times - maybe hours after driving. It’s completely normal. The car runs its pumps and fans and things when it needs to. You’ll appreciate that in summertime when it never lets the cabin get excessively hot.

Very different from a traditional car where it’s either “on” or “off”. This thing is a giant rolling computer and so it’s always running in some form or another.

Congrats on the new car — you’ll love it.

• Informative
Reactions: BeeGood and akenham
Yup, like others have said totally normal. The heat pump resetting, the fan running low-speed to dry out the condenser, etc. Like @dmurphy said, the car is never actually “off”, but it will eventually “go to sleep” when it’s done.

You’ll get to the point where you’re concerned when it doesn’t make any noises. :D

Reactions: rpiotro
Hi guys,

Thanks.
It might also be because you have cabin overheat protection turned on, see page 127 in manual:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Otherwise it's normal the car makes some noise when it's "awake" as it maintains the battery temperature (although not the cabin temp if you have the other features turned off). Eventually after the car sleeps (you might hear a "thump" from the back as it opens up the contactors and disconnects the high voltage battery), then it would be completely silent. When you wake up the car again (you can see in the app when it says "waking") you will hear a "thump" from the back as it connects the HV battery again.

To minimize the energy use and let the car sleep, you can also disable Sentry mode (p 141) and and Summon Standby (p 108).

Last edited:
Reactions: BeeGood