TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Humming sound

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by znino, Jan 21, 2013.

1. znino

znino Member

#1 znino, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
    I think i have seen something about this in the forums but i can't seem to find it now. I have noticed that when the car is on and Media is muted, climate control off (in other words, should be quiet in the car) I hear a humming type sound (could also be characterized as low frequency static) coming from the front (seems just behind the 17" screen). It almost sounds like it could be a pump running or something like that and i can't remember if it was doing this from the start or not. Now that i have noticed it I hear it all the time. anyone else notice this type of noise?

2. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

Znino,

I remember reading that many owners were able to get rid of the hum (if it is the same as yours) by reducing the intensity of the ambient lighting (0 / off to 20%).

That may be a first test to try.

3. znino

znino Member

No, that's a different sound. The ambiant light sound is a buzzing and yes indeed, we can get rid of that. I put the screen intensity to 100% which in turn puts the ambiant light to 100% and the buzz goes away (ambiant light doesnt like to be dimmed). This is more of a humming or static type sound from the front.

4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Are you referring perhaps to the cooling fan for the electronics? I'm not certain that's what it is, but it sounds like a soft CPU fan.

There's also the faint sound of the air compressor when you start up, but I think the cooling fan(s) may be what you're hearing.

5. znino

znino Member

Probably!

6. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

znino

I've had that sound twice so far and got rid of it both times by rebooting the 17" screen.

Aaron